Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Best/Worst program choices in an olympic season?

What were some of the best/worst program choices in an olympic season?

vCash
    It was so controversially bad and recent so D/S would be first in worst for Aboriginal! Then maybe S/P Love Story.

Best could be Turandot Arakawa or Yagudin Man in the Iron Mask.

vCash
    Best for sure: Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze SP to 'La Califfa' (one of the best Pairs SP ever) and even their LP to 'Meditation de Thais' could have been great

vCash
    Ice Dance: Drobiazko/Vanagas bringing the Phantom with a great Program back to live

vCash
    Ladies: I repeat it once again. Miki Andos SP 2006 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' was an absolutely gorgeous program; if it have been skated clean and 2,3 years later of a grown Ando, this would have been great.

vCash
    Bechke and Petrov's 1992 SP (Milord) and LP (Nutcracker) were spot-on for them after a history of very questionable music choices 1989-1991.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    Ladies: I repeat it once again. Miki Andos SP 2006 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' was an absolutely gorgeous program; if it have been skated clean and 2,3 years later of a grown Ando, this would have been great.
    I absolutely love the music choice and would love to see more programs using it...I could see Carolina Kostner skating to it beautifully...

Poor choices (both program and packaging): Moronzov's techno Requiem and the dreaded, heinous Cleopatra. All these years later and I still wish the snake poison would hurry up. It makes me realize, however, that Miki never had the luxury of skating in a decent costume at the Olympics.
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 07-31-2013 at 12:45 PM.

vCash
    Both programs of Miki Ando at Olympics 2010 were awful. The Cleopatra FS had no choreography and the Requiem Sp was just really unusual music.

Domnina & Shabalin destroyed their chances of Olympic gold with the aboriginal program. Their CD i thought was fantastic

Tessa and Scott original dance was a great choice for them.
    Arakawa's FS at 2006 was great choice

vCash
    Tonya Harding's Albertville slopfest. There were no ZZ Top fans in that night.
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 07-31-2013 at 12:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I absolutely love the music choice and would love to see more programs using it...I could see Carolina Kostner skating to it beautifully...
    I like the music too but I don't think it suits Miki. Considering that MCML gets a lot of love on FSU, I must be a minority in not liking this program. I thought it made Miki's lack of stretch particularly glaring, especially because she was transitioning to CoP spins and spirals. The flying sit spin at the end, in particular, seemed contrived, tight, and poorly stretched to me. Her LP that season was an even bigger mistake. Miki is a power skater, and her programs the following season (Scheherezade and Mendelssohn) were MUCH more suited for her.

vCash
    Some of the best - Katarina's "Carmen", Torvill and Dean's "Bolero", Bereznaya & Sikhaurlidze's "The Lady Calyph", Katarina Witt's 1994 SP & FS choices ("Robin Hood" & "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"), Ilia Kulik's 1998 "Revolutions" SP

Some of the worst IMO - Grischuk & Platov's 1994 Rock & Roll medley, Baiul's 1994 FS, Ilia Kulik's 1998 "American In Paris" FS, Surya Bonaly's 1998 FS to classical music (it wasn't HER at all)

vCash
    one of the Best : Arakawa.
    She is a brilliant skater with great skills, but artistically is somewhat an one music skater. That one music(Turandot) was used in right times!
    Last edited by t.mann; 08-01-2013 at 03:42 AM.

vCash
    Another worst I have to mention is the Duchesnay's "West Side Story" in 1992. I LOVED this team and had they done something in the same artistic, innovative vein as they had done in years previous, I totally believe they could have won Olympic gold.

vCash
    Among the best: "Don Quixote" for John Curry during the 1975-6 Olympic season. The music is uninteresting but it was a solid vehicle for showcasing his abilities.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Another worst I have to mention is the Duchesnay's "West Side Story" in 1992. I LOVED this team and had they done something in the same artistic, innovative vein as they had done in years previous, I totally believe they could have won Olympic gold.
    My thoughts exactly. WSS had been Dean's choice, though, whereas the D's themselves would have liked a different program (as I understand it from a short bio). The program itself was very difficult and demanding both technically and artistically, but the choice of music was odd, IMO.

I'd like to mention Chait/Sachnovski's Bolero in 2006. They should have tried it a season earlier, and think up something different of their own for the OGs, to avoid being compared to the incomparable.
    Last edited by Shyjosie; 07-31-2013 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    I think this programs help skaters to get medals at OG.
    T-D "Bolero", Klimova-Ponomarenko - "Bach", Anisina-Peizerat "Flamenco" and R&J, Grishuk-Platov "Rock-n-Roll", Baul "Swan Lake", Petrenko "Don Quixote", Yagudin "Winter", Gordeeva-Grinkov "Moonlight Sonata", Davis-White "Bolywood", Virtue-Moir "Mahler" and "Flamenco".
    Programs, wich killed all skaters hopes
    Duchesnay's "West Side Story", Domnina-Shabalin 2010 both programs, Belbin-Agosto 2010 FD, F-P-M 2002 FD, B-K 2002 OD (wich i like, but judges didnt), Plushenko 2002 "Carmen", Savcheno-Szhelkovi 2010 LP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post

Poor choices (both program and packaging): Moronzov's techno Requiem and the dreaded, heinous Cleopatra. All these years later and I still wish the snake poison would hurry up. It makes me realize, however, that Miki never had the luxury of skating in a decent costume at the Olympics.
    Thanks for the good laugh!

Regarding Ando's 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence', the music was great indeed but the costume was just awful

vCash
    Worst I've seen: Dom/Shab aborigine dance, Tonya Harding's Jurassic Park. And not the worst, but bad: S/P Love Story. And if exhibitions count, Sarah Hughes' at SLC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I think this programs help skaters to get medals at OG.
    T-D "Bolero", Klimova-Ponomarenko - "Bach", Anisina-Peizerat "Flamenco" and R&J, Grishuk-Platov "Rock-n-Roll", Baul "Swan Lake", Petrenko "Don Quixote", Yagudin "Winter", Gordeeva-Grinkov "Moonlight Sonata", Davis-White "Bolywood", Virtue-Moir "Mahler" and "Flamenco".
    Programs, wich killed all skaters hopes
    Duchesnay's "West Side Story", Domnina-Shabalin 2010 both programs, Belbin-Agosto 2010 FD, F-P-M 2002 FD, B-K 2002 OD (wich i like, but judges didnt), Plushenko 2002 "Carmen", Savcheno-Szhelkovi 2010 LP.
    I thought plushenko's Carmen was a great recovery from programs considered the worst!! If this was a different topic I would say Plushenko Carmen and k/n firebird were great recoveries and switches from Olympic program ultra disasters!! It's just unfortunate that domshabs had no choice to continue with the programs that max was used to and could do rather than risk changing and forcing max out of the Olympics all together!!

vCash
    I consider Kerrigan's Paradise and the Master Short program from 1992 to be the worst music ever chosen by any skater

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast