• Top 10

8 14.29%
  • lower than top 10

6 10.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HVS View Post
    I do think that

How about Kostner in next Olympic? She will be 27 next year and she still an OGM contender along with Yuna & Mao in Sochi

All depend on Yuna, if she really wants it, anything could happen
    honestly I just knew that 'carolina is 27 at sochi'. About Age problems.. well It seems ok.
    but Anyone know how young girls will develop their technical contents in future? Gracie said she is training 3A and more difficult jumps
    Last edited by torren; 07-31-2013 at 09:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    but Anyone know how young girls will develop their technical contents in future? Gracie said she is training 3A and more difficult jumps
    Right after 2010 Olympic we already discussed about "the future girls" like Mirai, Caroline, Russian wonders, ... like all of them will be main contender for Olympic Gold in Sochi for sure.

What happen now? Yuna is once again a OGM favorite, as much as 4 years ago, along with veterans like Mao and Carol, that's say something out loud

Same as future, we don't know what will happen, if you believe in these young girl, that's good for you, but I will rather believe in a phenomenal Yuna kim, because for her it's not only a theory or hopeful but also proven fact

vCash
    Gracie doesn't need to develop a 3A at all! She could do Lutz and Flip combos with 3 toes and be set!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Gracie doesn't need to develop a 3A at all! She could do Lutz and Flip combos with 3 toes and be set!!
    I discussed about age problems. noticed there were skaters who getting older and still good or even better like carol, or suzuki.
    but I don't know whether kim would be able to keep her shape of now. If she can do that, talented newbies like gracie will need develop than now them, to be a strong skater as much as mao or caro or miki. Because only they could win kim in few years. If kim has not ability to keep good shape at 27, and I think so, I guess she would be just top10
    Last edited by torren; 07-31-2013 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    It is hard to say. She would be old for amateur singles skating by 2018 and normally shouldnt be able to win, but the new generation skaters are quite unimpressive and not the talents even Rochette or Kostner types are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    seriously? I am not underrate her ability. even You saw her such levels, regardless how great she is, Let's to be*realistic. It is impossible in modern figure skating. I don't expect to see three time olympic champion in ladies in Future ever. Not only for Ladies, but also even impossible for Mens. Even twice olympic gold is also mostly impossible in modern figure skating.

At that time she is 27. many talented girls Adelina, gracie, Zijun, tuk will more develop. Do you think kim at 27 can win these ladies?
    Omg lol. I thought this was asking about 2014 and I just realized it was asking about 2018 when I revisited the poll. I don't think that she will win in 2018. She won't be there.

vCash
    She would be on home ice in 2018 which would make her even harder to beat unless there is someone way better than her. Plus the huge rep power she has from all her past titles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabybackhand View Post
    She would be on home ice in 2018 which would make her even harder to beat unless there is someone way better than her. Plus the huge rep power she has from all her past titles.
    She defeated by Mao in GPF 2008 which was held in her home ice. I remember, she could not get huge home advantage like Patrick chan. she was judged the similar way with the other events
    So, she would compete at home ice is useless at this point
    Last edited by torren; 08-02-2013 at 03:02 PM.

vCash
    She had 3 huge mistakes at that event and lost to Mao who had 1 when Mao had much harder programs at the times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabybackhand View Post
    She had 3 huge mistakes at that event and lost to Mao who had 1 when Mao had much harder programs at the times.
    Of course I know she was 2nd for sure. What I wanted to say was she defeated on home ice, could not win by home advantage.

And what is laughable is... even before considering home advantage... To home ice advantage work for her to beat top skaters and win, ah even to get medals, first of all she should be medal contender at that time.
    but normally people don't think that she would be medal contender at 27
    Last edited by torren; 08-02-2013 at 03:38 PM.

vCash
    She would be a medal contender mostly since the up and comers suck. I agree normally at 28 you arent a medal contender in singles skating but who are the good up and comers? I dont see them. The fact Kostner and Asada who were on top of the sport way back in 2005-2006 are still up there shows the current young generation are most likely just a lost generation, and will probably be quickly overtaken even by the younger generation coming we dont even know much about yet.

vCash
    Kostner wasn't on top of the sport back in 2006. As for the current generation they are not a lost generation they just came up too late in this cycle to be a threat. Plus most top skaters from the previous Olympics usually retire but this time the Gold and Silver medalists will be coming back which i don't think has ever happened plus skaters like Kostner. We probably won't see 2 young skaters as good as Mao and Kim were at 15 coming up at the same time ever again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Kostner wasn't on top of the sport back in 2006. As for the current generation they are not a lost generation they just came up too late in this cycle to be a threat. Plus most top skaters from the previous Olympics usually retire but this time the Gold and Silver medalists will be coming back which i don't think has ever happened plus skaters like Kostner. We probably won't see 2 young skaters as good as Mao and Kim were at 15 coming up at the same time ever again.
    Almost all Olympic gold medalists retired after winning olympics. especially in current years.. because almost all of them were surprise winners and It was the smart way for them to protect reputation as a skater. yuna is first olympic champion who challenge to second OGM after katarina witt
    but many olympic silver medalists has been left, wait, and competed in next olympics. to achieve own dreams for olympic gold
    In currently, irina, michelle did.. It was not that uncommon situation

vCash
    I think Baiul and Hughes sort of just realized they werent that good which is why they turned pro after their wins. They were not likely to keep up that kind of success.

Tara I think in hindsight turned pro completely due to having worn out her hip and if she could do it again would find another method of reaching the top than repeated triple something-triple loop combinations over and over so young. The comments about her dad were just not wanting to reveal what was really happening to her body by then. I do wonder if she would have stayed in had she not won the gold in 98 and tried to battle through it to pursue her dream of 2002 OG.

Arakawa was already old when she won.

Yamaguchi is the next most surprising turning pro after Lipinski. I sort of sensed after the 92 Worlds she was still leaning towards staying in, but changed her mind in the off season. Most expected her to atleast stay through 94, even after winning the 92 gold in a minor (but not too big, she was the reigning World Champ after all) surprise.

vCash
    Baiul turned pro because the money was to good to turn down. Let's face it after living in the Ukraine especially after the fall of the Soviet Union and being poor with no family she saw this was her way to a better life. But it was too much to soon with no real adult guidance to keep her on track and we all know how it ended.

vCash
    Perhaps but in hindsight it is good she went pro. She didnt have the technical content to compete with Kwan, Lipisnki, or even Chen, Slutskaya, or Butyskaya.

vCash
    I would say that the probability that Yuna will NOT compete in 2018 is about 85%, and in Yuna's mind right now, it is close to 100%.

However, the idea of going for a 3rd straight OGM in her home country (assuming Yuna wins her 2nd OGM in Sochi) is not something that can easily be dismissed -- it would have HUGE implications for the sport as well as commercial marketing for 2018 Olympics.

If I were Yuna, it would be something that I would have to consider carefully -- whether she would be able and willing to maintain her physical form until 2018, whether she would be willing to put with the stress, whether the returns (monetary as well as historical legacy) would be worth the sacrifices, etc. Also, the level of competition in 2018 would also have to be a factor.

Thus, I would still say that there is about 15% chance that Yuna will change her mind and end up competing in Pyeongchang, but it will be her own decision.

vCash
    It might end up being like Witt in 94. Of course assuming Kim wins in Sochi, she might want to come back in 18 for her own personal reasons. Its too early to tell if she would even be competitive for a medal by then.

If for whatever reason doesnt win in Sochi she might be a little more encouraged for Pyeongchang.

vCash
    Yuna since Vancouver hasn't had much incentive to keep skating. She basically took almost 3 years off since those Olympics. I think she comes back just to get those spots at Worlds and the Olympics for SK since without her they don't have much chance to have more then one spot. I can't see after 2014 Yuna wanting to continue.

vCash
    Maybe So-Youn Park and Hae Jin Kim will develop as skaters and South Korea will no longer have only one figure skater in the upper echelons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast