vCash

IceNetwork Partners with US Speed Skating

IceNetwork just announced that as part of its annual subscription, viewers can tune into speed skating events.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Any thoughts, feelings, opinions, observations about this move? Why do I feel the spectre of Speedy? Talk among yourselves.

vCash
    A "Speedskating Season Pass" makes it sound like those subscription events are paid for separately...so they've no excuse to up their figure skating subscription rate

vCash
    Have they announced yet what they will cover this year? If it is basically nothing but U. S. nationals first groups like last year, I must make sure to cancel.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    if it gets a few more people to watch, it is a good thing. i know i'm in the minority but i would pay a lot more for IN.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Do you think Speedy encouraged it?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    This is kind of....more not-good news for the ISU and the television rights to its events, at least in the US. Because IIRC in the past speed skating used to have enough broadcast numbers that the ISU could use it as an added incentive for networks to buy the rights to figure skating events. If both of the sports are at the point where Internet-only coverage is what's selling, that's not good for the ISU's revenues.

ETA: And even though both sports have the same federation, and both involve ice and sharp blades, I can't see there being too much appeal across the two sports. I.e. I can't see more figure skating fans being attracted to Ice Network by the chance to see speed skating, and vice versa.
    Last edited by overedge; 08-01-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leigh466 View Post
    Have they announced yet what they will cover this year? If it is basically nothing but U. S. nationals first groups like last year, I must make sure to cancel.
    They announced last January that they'd got the ISU rights this season. That means all the GP events, the Salt Lake Senior B and probably Worlds. They won't get the Olympics because of NBC unless they get some kind of deal. They may get Europeans, but I don't think that's been decided.

I'm with MLP. This is the best skating deal available.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    They announced last January that they'd got the ISU rights this season. That means all the GP events, the Salt Lake Senior B and probably Worlds. They won't get the Olympics because of NBC unless they get some kind of deal. They may get Europeans, but I don't think that's been decided.

I'm with MLP. This is the best skating deal available.
    for getting GP rights back. I like being able to go back and rewatch on demand.

vCash
    Last year sucked without the Icenetwork carrying the GP series. I spent all season trying to get crappy Russian feeds to watch the GP and half the time the video would freeze. I hope it's this season that the new contract with NBC starts because if it does the Icenetwork will show just about major every competition online. Not sure about 4CC though.

vCash
    From the press release that was published during 2013 Nationals: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48904&type=media
    The ISU agreement with icenetwork.com, a wholly-owned subsidiary of U.S. Figure Skating, operated and managed by MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM), covers multiple distribution platforms and guarantees live coverage of ISU events, including the World Figure Skating Championships, the Four Continents Championships and the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, on icenetwork.com, as well as television coverage on NBC, NBC Sports Network and Universal Sports.
    Approximately 20 hours of icenetwork.com's ISU figure skating rights will be shown on NBC annually, including the World Championships in primetime during non-Olympic years, and the ISU Grand Prix Series. ISU events will also be seen on cable television with NBC Sports Network showing select coverage of ISU Speed Skating events, including the World Sprint Speed Skating Championships and the World Short Track Speed Skating Championships. Universal Sports will continue to expand its coverage of all ISU events, with more than 50 hours of programming dedicated to figure skating and speed skating annually, including the World Figure Skating Championships, European Figure Skating Championships, Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Grand Prix Series and select speed skating competitions.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Do you think Speedy encouraged it?
    My thought as well!

That said, I agree that this is probably the best deal we are likely to see,
    We need to encourage the best possible quality for Internet video streams/players, whatever the source/platform.
    That's what we are paying for.