Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,172
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Thank you! I'm always looking for objective information,
    i love reading the reviews at beautypedia.com, it relaxes me
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,322
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9947
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Olay really doesn't have significant amounts of good any ingredients for it to do much good. If Visionnaire works for you I would keep using it if you can or maybe try something similar from the Shiseido line. Lancôme can be hit or miss for some people, as with any skin care line.
    Olay's key ingredient is niacinamide. There are academic papers demonstrating benefits of niacinamide such as anti-inflammation. Shiseido's serums are okay, but for the same price you could get serums with more positive scientific evidence.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,517
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Olay's key ingredient is niacinamide. There are academic papers demonstrating benefits of niacinamide such as anti-inflammation. Shiseido's serums are okay, but for the same price you could get serums with more positive scientific evidence.
    There's way better ingredients out there for all types of skin issues than niacinamide. In the skin care industry (as with anything) you get what you pay for and inexpensive brands (like Olay) aren't going to have life changing properties. You don't need to spend $500 for a serum but inexpensive brands won't cut it either. Same with hair, Suave will get the job done but Pureology is much better.

  4. #24
    aspiring tri-national
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    in flight
    Posts
    20,556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39757
    What I need in a serum is evening of skin tone and "glow" -- when I'm stressed my skin gets very dull looking. Wrinkles aren't that much of a problem, my skin isn't dry and despite years of tanning and smoking I don't have many wrinkles. (So there, fate.) I've been using the Visionaire for more than a year, but if there's something that works better for a comparable price -- I just won't pay over $100 a bottle for anything -- I'm willing to try it.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    PRlady, Nars makes a product called Illuminator. It can be worn alone or under foundation. I really like it, and it's very reasonable. http://www.narscosmetics.com/search?q=Illuminator

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,626
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    Skincare and hair (and apparently vacuum cleaners) are among the few areas where I don't think price means much. It is about the set of ingredients and what works for *you*. Figure out what the key ingredients are in Visionaire and see if they are available in other products. The hard thing to tell is the quantity but how high they are listed in the ingredient list should help.

    I did a six month intensive in hair care ingredients and can now tell by looking at the list of ingredients whether the product is going to whack out my hair or not.
    What would Jenny do?

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Skincare and hair (and apparently vacuum cleaners) are among the few areas where I don't think price means much. It is about the set of ingredients and what works for *you*. Figure out what the key ingredients are in Visionaire and see if they are available in other products. The hard thing to tell is the quantity but how high they are listed in the ingredient list should help.

    I did a six month intensive in hair care ingredients and can now tell by looking at the list of ingredients whether the product is going to whack out my hair or not.
    My hair is rather thin, as in sparse. I have tried all sorts of "wonder" treatments. However, the only thing that seems to help is taking Biotin. I read that it would help with hair fallout. And started taking it a few months ago. I don't have a thick head of hair, but it is better than it was.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,626
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    My hair is rather thin, as in sparse. I have tried all sorts of "wonder" treatments. However, the only thing that seems to help is taking Biotin. I read that it would help with hair fallout. And started taking it a few months ago. I don't have a thick head of hair, but it is better than it was.
    I am glad that biotin helps. FWIW, I have too much hair so I try to avoid too much protein in hair care products – but that might help you too. Most products usually contain various proteins but hydrolyzed wheat or soy protein, in particular, build up the hair to make it look fuller. Protein needs to be “hydrolyzed” to work in a product. But this type of thing is cosmetic - only works when it is in your hair, and washes down the drain in the shower.
    What would Jenny do?

  9. #29

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,322
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9947
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    What I need in a serum is evening of skin tone and "glow" -- when I'm stressed my skin gets very dull looking. Wrinkles aren't that much of a problem, my skin isn't dry and despite years of tanning and smoking I don't have many wrinkles. (So there, fate.) I've been using the Visionaire for more than a year, but if there's something that works better for a comparable price -- I just won't pay over $100 a bottle for anything -- I'm willing to try it.
    Estee Lauder Idealist serum. Gives your skin a glow and has many antioxidants with backed by research.

    You can get a sample packet at an Estee Lauder counter. This page has a list of Estee Lauder gift with purchase deals. Nordstrom also has a nice Estee Lauder gift with purchase going on now. Nordstrom is great in that shipping both ways is free, and you can return an opened product if you don't like it.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I am glad that biotin helps. FWIW, I have too much hair so I try to avoid too much protein in hair care products – but that might help you too. Most products usually contain various proteins but hydrolyzed wheat or soy protein, in particular, build up the hair to make it look fuller. Protein needs to be “hydrolyzed” to work in a product. But this type of thing is cosmetic - only works when it is in your hair, and washes down the drain in the shower.
    Are you talking about shampoos to make your hair fuller? I've tried those, and they do make my hair appear fuller. However, they change the texture of my hair. They make my hair stiff and dull. I guess that, if I have to make the choice, I opt for silkier and shiny.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,626
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    I was thinking more of something like this though proteins can make your hair stiffer since they build up the hair shaft to make it thicker. Soy and wheat proteins seem to give a more flexible finish than silk proteins. A product like this shouldn't make it dull.

    http://www.aveda.com/product/8655/21...ner/index.tmpl
    What would Jenny do?

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,517
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    What I need in a serum is evening of skin tone and "glow" -- when I'm stressed my skin gets very dull looking. Wrinkles aren't that much of a problem, my skin isn't dry and despite years of tanning and smoking I don't have many wrinkles. (So there, fate.) I've been using the Visionaire for more than a year, but if there's something that works better for a comparable price -- I just won't pay over $100 a bottle for anything -- I'm willing to try it.
    Have you tried a chemical peel or Microdermabrasion? It helps with the 'dull' look skin tend to get and it would make any skin care products work better.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I was thinking more of something like this though proteins can make your hair stiffer since they build up the hair shaft to make it thicker. Soy and wheat proteins seem to give a more flexible finish than silk proteins. A product like this shouldn't make it dull.

    http://www.aveda.com/product/8655/21...ner/index.tmpl
    Thanks, I'll give it a try .

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32204
    I've used the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair under my eyes for the last couple of months (also from a free sample ), and after using the Visionnaire for the past few days, it seems a lot more drying. And I don't like the smell - the Estee Lauder is pretty much scentless, or at least the scent is subtle enough that I don't notice it. I'll finish off the Visionnaire sample just because I have it, but I think I'll be going back to the Estee Lauder after that.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •