243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kwan

105 43.21%
  • Kim

138 56.79%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Better skater- Kim or Kwan

Since there was a poll for Kwan and almost everyone else I figured one might as well make the granddaddy of them all (atleast among recent skaters). Achievements and career greatness aside who do you think is the better skater just looking at their respective skill sets.

vCash
    I voted for Kim because:

1. I think she has the better overall career.
    2. Both in their primes Kim would come out on top more often than not, especialy under COP. 6.0 would be a more even battle, although both skating her absolute best would still be the one to win even then.
    3. I think it was much harder to do what Kim did, coming from a country with no history in the sport, than Kwan just being another golden American with the support of the strongest federation in skating and past legends behind her. Lets face it, if Kim were an American or Japanese she probably would have won both the 2008 and 2011 Worlds which were quite close, and were both won by a Japanese skater from a much stronger federation, and have atleast 4 Worlds to go with her Olympic Gold and other achievement.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I voted for Kwan because she is a much more engaging and expressive performer than Kim. Michelle wears her heart on her sleeve and makes me feel what she is feeling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    I voted for Kim because:

1. I think she has the better overall career.
    2. Both in their primes Kim would come out on top more often than not, especialy under COP. 6.0 would be a more even battle, although both skating her absolute best would still be the one to win even then.
    3. I think it was much harder to do what Kim did, coming from a country with no history in the sport, than Kwan just being another golden American with the support of the strongest federation in skating and past legends behind her. Lets face it, if Kim were an American or Japanese she probably would have won both the 2008 and 2011 Worlds which were quite close, and were both won by a Japanese skater from a much stronger federation, and have atleast 4 Worlds to go with her Olympic Gold and other achievement.
    I don't think Mao and Miki won in 2008 and 2011 because they came from a "much stronger federation"; they won because they performed better.

vCash
    I vote Yunelle KWIM.

vCash
    Yuna Kim makes me follow skating, I didn't even care about this sport before

Kwan? I know her as Yuna's idol so I have watched her perfs, except her beautiful spiral I didn't impress much about the rest of her skating, maybe because I used to watch skating with much more difficult technique in Yuna's generation
    Last edited by HVS; 07-25-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I guess Kwan because her cop out layback spin was watchable and she could do more kinds of triples. I also remember being more interested in the Ladies Event when Kwan was around. Now the Men's Event seems more interesting.

However, I have to admit Kim's actual programs from this past season were lovely and more interesting than James Bond. I hope she continues in that direction, and maybe draws some inspiration from Lulu circa 1996.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 07-25-2013 at 04:01 AM.

vCash
    I think what Frank Carroll said on The Skating Lesson interview summed it up very nicely. There is no one who can skate quite like Michelle Kwan.

vCash
    Might as well be asking who was a better skater, Sonja Henie or Madge Sayers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Since there was a poll for Kwan and almost everyone else I figured one might as well make the granddaddy of them all (atleast among recent skaters). Achievements and career greatness aside who do you think is the better skater just looking at their respective skill sets.
    we've done this poll like 10 times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    we've done this poll like 10 times
    Seriously. This poll (well all the polls here) are more about which skater has more fans who can garner up enough support to vote in the middle of the slow off-season.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 07-25-2013 at 05:01 AM.

vCash
    Not again! I'm not voting in this one.

vCash
    Plushenko.

vCash
    My gosh, I can't believe that the same place that give skaters a lot of over using warhorse music and and having un original programs allows for posters to abuse the heck out of the "Kwan VS Kim" discussion over and over again. I sware, this discussion is like the Carmen of FSU.

This off season can't end soon enough

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Seriously. This poll (well all the polls here) are more about which skater has more fans who can garner up enough support to vote in the middle of the slow off-season.
    Although Michelle fans never seemed to complain about that for the longest time .

(For the record, I'm not voting on this poll either; and I liked your Henie/Syers analogy)

vCash
    Oh....The endless cycle of been there done that and promise never again apples or oranges are the better fruit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Although Michelle fans never seemed to complain about that for the longest time .

(For the record, I'm not voting on this poll either; and I liked your Henie/Syers analogy)
    That's true. I admit I enjoyed the Slutskaya/Kwan one just because it brought back memories of the SLC days. Plus, Kwan was actually losing for a time which kept it a bit fresh.

vCash
    Purple.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Purple.
    Which Purple?

vCash
    Pastel purple, obviously.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast