vCash

Father Sues Skating Coach for Not Giving his Daughter More Lesson Time

...and for a bunch of other things apparently. My goodness, this is ugly...

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/ska...185e818c9.html
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    describing his daughter as a "natural, with Olympic qualities."
    Of course he does...

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    wow, he sounds like a total nightmare
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    wow, he sounds like a total nightmare
    Also says the BOD of Black Hills FSC voted 29-0 to kick him out of the club.

vCash
    What a disgrace. "a natural, with Olympic qualities"? EVERY parent thinks their kid is good enough for the Olympics. So few actually are. The coach probably didn't have any extra time, especially if we're talking a small rink in a small city.

I think what's even more telling is that the daughter has had FOUR different coaches since the breakup with the first one.

vCash
    Sounds like a parent who can't handle that their kid isn't the center of everyone else's universe.

vCash
    "if we're talking a small rink in a small city" Don't know anything about the size of the rink but Rapid City is reasonably sized (population of 70,000)and despite this story, one of the friendliest places I've ever visited - had a great time and met a lot of wonderful people. The parent in this sounds like a genuine nightmare.
    Last edited by Willowway; 07-25-2013 at 01:36 AM.

vCash
    70,000 is definitely a small city IMO. My city is bigger than that and it's classified as small.

vCash
    I guess it's all in how you look at it - I live in a village of 7,600 people about 35 minutes away from a city of 8 million (NYC) but I don't think Rapid City is that small. It's certainly not large.

vCash
    All he had to do was ask to see her schedule, if she truly had no free time to spare for additional training, he could had moved his daughter to another coach as many eltie skaters have done. If the coach did lie about not having time, then the father would know this is not the coach for his daughter and time to move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    All he had to do was ask to see her schedule
    I don't think I've ever heard of a coach being asked to show their schedule to a parent, or to a skater for that matter. It's not really anyone else's business, and for most of the coaches I know, their schedule would change from week to week or even day to day depending on e.g. which skater was going to be there or not, or whether some skaters needed more time than others (like before a competition). If the parent doesn't trust the coach enough to believe what the coach says about their availability, then the parent probably shouldn't be hiring that coach.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Overedge - comment is right on point.

vCash
    Psycho skating parents - they are the ones you want out of the sport.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    This happens when 'competition rears its ugly head'. I think it's happening quite a lot lately in Australia too ... you hear of parents behaving menacingly towards coaches, teachers, their children's competitors and fellow parents, not to say that the other parties are always right. One of my colleague gives free coaching on circus gymnastics, and had complained that sometimes parents are harder to handle than their kids!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    The father sounds like a jerk - I feel sorry for the young skater who has to deal with the expectations and unpleasantness (and yes, I agree that her having four coaches since then is telling) and for the coach who had to waste her time and money because of him.

I see that the trial took place two months ago and ended in a mistrial, I guess it's too much to hope that he'll just drop it?

vCash
    The thing is, especially in a "small city", he's going to run out of coaching options very quickly. I can't imagine many coaches would line up for the opportunity to work with this family. I know I wouldn't. You feel for the skaters, because it's not their fault, but sometimes you just have to distance yourself from these situations.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So if I feel in danger from someone, if I file a protective order, they can sue me for libel? That's pretty scary, actually.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Stage father!

vCash
    I guess it's all in how you look at it - I live in a village of 7,600 people about 35 minutes away from a city of 8 million (NYC) but I don't think Rapid City is that small.
    I think it is small when you think of the populations needed to support a skating rink. A quick Google search yields only one skating rink and one skating club in the town (plus two arenas with NHL size ice). If there is only the one training rink, the family didn't have other local options for coaching.

I'm sure these aren't the first parent to move for the sake of the child's training, but it is usually for a rink with a bigger program and bigger name coach. Makes you wonder what went wrong between them and the Pierre SD coach to make them move to RC in the first place.

I really feel most for the two little girls. They probably liked their coach and now feel caught in the crossfire. I blame Mom. She should long since have stood up and told her bully husband to knock it off. How the duaghters' feel is way more important than his ego.
    Last edited by Susan M; 07-26-2013 at 01:07 AM.