vCash

"Who Do You Think You Are?" on TLC

I love this show. I'm so glad TLC picked it up.

Did any of you watch last night's episode with Kelly Clarkson? Kelly is wonderful, even if she doesn't have a great understanding of everything. And her great, great, great grandfather was quite a man. I thought they did a better job discussing the temperance movement with Helen Hunt, but maybe they didn't want to go into depth on the subject a second time.

vCash
    Even with Kelly's abysmal lack of knowledge about events/places that should be reasonably familiar to Americans who have gone to high school, I enjoyed the episode.
    She honestly thought that her Great-Grandfather would share her view of the world.

vCash
    I don't think Kelly necessarily thought that he would share her view of the world, but I think she hoped that he was doing good. I can understand why, even though she lives in the south and is from Texas, that she wanted him to be on the Union side during the Civil War. She's not the first person on this show who really wanted their ancestors to be on the "right side" of a war. I remember Rob Lowe being really happy that his ancestor switched sides in the Revolutionary War. And, really, would any of us want to learn that, for example, we had an ancestor who was a Nazi leader?

I wouldn't take history or politics lessons from Kelly, but I find her endearing.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    For anyone who missed it (or the last 1/2 hour), last week's episode (the full hour) is being repeated tonight before the new episode with Christina Applegate.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    I'm looking forward to Christina's episode.

vCash
    Love this show. SO glad it found a home.

vCash
    Christina Applegate made me cry like a baby for some reason.

vCash
    Her poor father, never really knowing anything of his true history, until now.

Love this show. SO glad it found a home.
    I hope that it finds a permanent place on TLC's schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Christina Applegate made me cry like a baby for some reason.
    Me, too. Especially at the end when her father asked her if there was anything good that she found and she answered that he had broken the cycle and raised great kids. She was so sweet and insightful, and it was clear that she and her dad had the kind of relationship that her father never had with her grandmother.