Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    While I have not been an all out "fan" of the TSL webcasts and approach, I think they ARE helping move the conversation around the sport (granted, within the narrow community of uber fans and skaters who are paying attention to the sport ... in August) in overall, a productive and more interesting direction. Certainly, the quality of the discourse as available through the established broader media, is just way too 2-dimensional to be truly interesting or thought provoking.

With the discussion ongoing within this thread, I feel frustrated FOR THE SKATERS actually. It's like they just can't win sometimes. People want skaters to be more candid and open, then jump down their throats finding something to criticize when they do. It's sort of a "no win" situation for the skaters sometimes it seems. Very tough needle to thread. Takes the right combination of intelligence, confidence and the willingness to simply ignore some people, enough of the time.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    That was pretty funny. The thing that wasn't made clear- is Adam annoyed she is doing it, or that she is trying to change the name to credit her? Because the later is pretty annoying; but Ashley made it sound like it was the former.
    Really? I took what she said as Adam being dismayed over Gracie trying to coin the move as the "Gold lutz" when it's something Adam did first, has been doing for years, and is frequently attributed to him. It did not seem like he was upset over the fact that she does the jump, and I can't see why he would be.

vCash
    With the discussion ongoing within this thread, I feel frustrated FOR THE SKATERS actually. It's like they just can't win sometimes. People want skaters to be more candid and open, then jump down their throats finding something to criticize when they do. It's sort of a "no win" situation for the skaters sometimes it seems. Very tough needle to thread. Takes the right combination of intelligence, confidence and the willingness to simply ignore some people, enough of the time.
    EXACTLY!! Could not have said this better myself!

I'm one of those who always wants more openness, and it's always a double-edged sword because there always exists the possibility that you may hear something you don't want to hear. At the end of the day, though, in my view it helps the sport. The days of perfect ice princesses are over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Rippon encouraged Gold to do the Rippon 3Lz last year, according to this 2012 Skate Detroit article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thank you Sylvia for being the voice of reason. I remember the photo shoot in Detroit he and Gracie talked about him giving her pointers. I think Ashley was the one rubbed by Gracie and her accomplishments. Her remark was in the context of the question regarding how she felt about Gracie's media self promotion on Twitter etc.. Interesting that her answer was sharing other's alleged feelings about it. I would not trust what Ashley says about the way other people about feel or react about things as accurate, especially when it serves her. I imagine it is difficult to be graceful all the time when you are the National Champion and so much hype is being said about your competitor. All in all considering the pressure Ashley seemed to handle the interview just fine. I think my head would explode with that kind of pressure. The JGPs will begin soon enough and we can stop over micro analyzing each interview.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    LOL, Ashley Wagner is about as homophobic as Nicole Bobek, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Cyndi Lauper, Kathy Griffin, and Margaret Cho.
    I don't think anyone has accused her of being HOMOPHOBIC. They accused her of using a word that many consider derogatory .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Who are you to say that Ashley meant 3a. when she could have meant 3b? If you seriously think that Ashley is a homophobe and needs to apologize, then file a complaint against her with the USFSA.

It is not likely b. as that refers to a MAN and Ashley definitely isn't a man. DO YOU REALLY WANT SOMEONE TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST HER WITH THE USFSA? IN my original posting, I only said she might want to be careful about using the word.
    Last edited by Iceman; 08-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.

vCash
    Just heard the first part of the interview. Love Wagner. I think I noticed her in 2009 in Cup Or Russia when she was asked about the programme and what it was about and she frankly said she had no idea, that Romanova told her to do this and that and she was just doing it without putting too much thought. Compared to all the `Katia is trying to seduce Dima' and `I skate for my fans, thank you all so much' it was a breath of fresh air. Great to see 4 years later she still speaks her mind (and with a normal voice! What the hell is wrong with 1/2 of the American female skaters and their mouse like voices?!)

Thanks, Wagner, looking forward to see you at the Olympics!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    This was more or less what I was trying to get at!

But can someone answer me when the "Tano" Lutz officially became the "Rippon" Lutz, etc. Where is the fairness in that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    But can someone answer me when the "Tano" Lutz officially became the "Rippon" Lutz, etc. Where is the fairness in that!
    Tano - one hand up, Rippon 2 hands up?
    I think in one of the interviews Rippon was asked about the name for the 2hands up lutz and he said he hopes it will not be called `a mistake'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    This was more or less what I was trying to get at!

A 'Tano Lutz is still a thing, but he never did it with 2 hands overhead. (And I see lots of lower level skaters doing 'Tano toe loops...Boitano gets credit for one hand over the head no matter the jump, it seems)

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    It is not likely b. as that refers to a MAN and Ashley definitely isn't a man.
    a. Refers specifically to a man too.

vCash
    Thanks for the response I didn't realize the difference because Ashley Wagner does the double toe with two hands above her head and many commentators call that "Tano". I guess not everyone knows the differentiation (Myself included until now )

vCash
    "Wagner Double Toe", or even worse, "Wagner Toe" doesn't sound nearly as good as "Gold Lutz". It sounds like an affliction, not an accomplishment. There's no wonder why Ashley didn't try to name it after herself

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    It is not likely b. as that refers to a MAN and Ashley definitely isn't a man. DO YOU REALLY WANT SOMEONE TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST HER WITH THE USFSA? IN my original posting, I only said she might want to be careful about using the word.
    No, I'm saying the exact opposite. Unless what Ashley said was worthy of filing a complaint against the USFSA, then there's nothing you can do about it. If what Ashley said WAS worthy of filing a complaint against the USFSA, then file it. Continuing a crusade of hatred against Ashley on the internet accomplishes nothing.

P.S. If Ashley is not a man, then 3a doesn't apply to her either. A mountain is being made out of a molehill.

vCash
    I don't hate Ashley and I don't think anyone here is continuing a crusade of hatred against her. Talk about blowing things out of proportion and making mountains out of mole hills!!!! She has been one of my favorites since she became a senior. How is giving someone some advice which might head off trouble an act of hatred.

vCash
    You really think Ashley reads YOUR advice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    You really think Ashley reads YOUR advice?

Why do you think I worded my original posting the way I did?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Who are you to say that Ashley meant 3a. when she could have meant 3b? If you seriously think that Ashley is a homophobe and needs to apologize, then file a complaint against her with the USFSA.
    I watched it again. I think Ashley misspoke she was reaching for the right word and I think she meant to say "Mamby Pamby" and "Pansy" came out- after all she was born in the 1990's not the 1960's for heavens sake! That is something that was said on my mother's playground certainly not the current common vocabulary of someone 2 generations later.
    Urban dictionary defines:
    Mamby Pamby : Cowardly, wimpy, shamefully fearful, having no confidence.

Be real. It is uneasy to me that some enjoy enough character assassination and propagate agenda-ed assumptions without regard. It is creepy weird that some would take such liberties and attach labels like "homophobic" to something that was said only to describe something else. Pathetic!

vCash
    You peanuts are still talking about it?

It's unfortunate she didn't detail her Pink Floyd program. Ashley tends to be somewhat overreaching in her choreography so hopefully we'll see something measured, restrained, yet sultry...

vCash
    ^I cannot wait for her Crrrrazy Diamonds. It's a fave of mine - I hope Ashley can do it justice.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast