Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    "Pansy" is an older term for "fag" or "faggot" and in its time had the same force.
    No. It's not. It implies femininity within a masculine being.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    LIGHTEN UP. She called herself a pansy, which among my group of friends is commonly used when describing yourself when you "chickened out". WHICH IS EXACTLY HOW SHE USED IT. I call myself a pansy on the ice when I pop jumps.

Man oh man, next thing you know you won't be able to say anything without someone twisting it as offensive. I mean she was even talking about herself, it's not like she went and said something like "so and so is a pansy"

vCash
    I can't believe people are getting worked up over pansy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    tee hee...have you been here before?

vCash
    I did know that 'pansy' was originally a gay slur, but it's a pretty weak term for people in my age group and I suspect that most people my age don't actually know that that's where it originated. I avoid slurs and I'm pretty sure I've called myself and others pansies before without even considering the original connotation.

vCash
    Personally, I prefer to call myself a "wuss," but I have no problem with Ashley calling herself a pansy.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    You can't?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I agree. She's not even using the word "pansy" in the context of it being a gay slur or being malicious. I'm gay and thought nothing of her comment when I played the video.
    I guess it depends on your point of reference, I am also gay and when I heard her use it annoyed me, much like when i hear primary school age kids calling things "gay" when they just mean bad. Just like with the primary school age kids (or any kids) that use "gay" to mean bad, I think it's done unthinkingly, but then I make a point to highlight it otherwise they many never think about what they say.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I guess it depends on your point of reference, I am also gay and when I heard her use it annoyed me, much like when i hear primary school age kids calling things "gay" when they just mean bad. Just like with the primary school age kids (or any kids) that use "gay" to mean bad, I think it's done unthinkingly, but then I make a point to highlight it otherwise they many never think about what they say.
    What you reference about young people calling things or people "gay" when they mean bad or stupid irritates me to no end, but Ashley didn't call things or anyone else a pansy; she directed "pansy" at herself, which to me clearly means she was implying that she wimps out or has too much fear going into her triple+triple jump pass. Many words in the English language have double meanings or multiple contexts. It's not like she called a fellow competitor a "pansy." I don't understand how anyone can be bent out of shape over her use of that word in the context that she used it. *shrug*

vCash
    I'm not bent out of shape about her use of the word, but suggests she might use a different word as some are offended by it, and with the Gay rights issue in Russia causing some to call for a boycott of the Sochi Olympics I just didn't think it was a wise choice of word coming from a possible Olympian. Let her use the word while in Sochi, and see what happens.

Many words do have more than one meaning, but might still sting when used.

Senator Flake used the word similarly to Ashley and got in trouble for it.
    Last edited by Iceman; 07-31-2013 at 03:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Personally, I prefer to call myself a "wuss," but I have no problem with Ashley calling herself a pansy.

O-
    I don't know the etymology of the word pansy, but the history of the word wuss is pretty offensive to me. Then again so is "sucks" and that has entered the general vocabulary as a pretty clean word.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    What you reference about young people calling things or people "gay" when they mean bad or stupid irritates me to no end, but Ashley didn't call things or anyone else a pansy; she directed "pansy" at herself, which to me clearly means she was implying that she wimps out or has too much fear going into her triple+triple jump pass. Many words in the English language have double meanings or multiple contexts. It's not like she called a fellow competitor a "pansy." I don't understand how anyone can be bent out of shape over her use of that word in the context that she used it. *shrug*
    I'm not getting bent out of shape about it - i merely noted it as soon as she said it. I loved the interview and I love how she came across, this was a minor blip in what was otherwise a good interview. I don't thing it makes a blind bit of difference that she used it referring to herself, I've heard kids being asked how the they did on a test and reply "gay" meaning bad, I've equally heard it response to how they played in a sporting event. Does it excuse the use because it's about themselves? For me it doesn't, but for me pansy only has two meanings - the flower and as a slur for gay people, so I think educating people about such things is important.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Thank you to everyone who has decided for me, as a gay man, what I should and should not take as offensive.

Dictionary.com:

pan·sy
    [pan-zee]

noun, plural pan·sies.
    a violet, Viola tricolor hortensis, cultivated in many varieties, having richly and variously colored flowers.

the flower of this plant.

Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
    a.
    a male homosexual.

b.
    a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't know the etymology of the word pansy, but the history of the word wuss is pretty offensive to me. Then again so is "sucks" and that has entered the general vocabulary as a pretty clean word.
    Um. I was kidding. Trying to lighten the mood, but I guess everyone is in a very serious mood here at FSU in this off-season ...

It's amazing how there are so many things to discuss about Ashley, like her new coaching and choreographer situation, and her plans to add a 3/3, but this is what we focus on.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    It's amazing how there are so many things to discuss about Ashley, like her new coaching and choreographer situation, and her plans to add a 3/3, but this is what we focus on.
    Oh there's a whole other thread in GSD for that! Wagner picks Arutunian to join coaching team
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    While I enjoyed the interview, I think Ashley's sassiness is more controlled than genuine. Does that make sense?
    But good for her to admit she is not naturally graceful, when some viewers would always deny it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    But good for her to admit she is not naturally graceful, when some viewers would always deny it.
    Who? I'm a fan, but graceful is definitely not the first word I would use to describe her. Not saying she's completely lacking in grace, because that isn't the case either, but powerful, dramatic, passionate, certainly describe her skating more accurately.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ashley has excellent port de bras, leagues better than say, Yuna Kim. And yes she is graceful, not in a delicate effervescent way like Mao but, graceful nonetheless.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8A2nfgXrEU#t=4m12s
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i would not say she is graceful but what i really need to know is, do you do a shot every time you type port de bras? it's your favorite thing
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It is! It is! Carry your arms well or go home.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast