Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So I've been thinking that the Prokofiev R&J is a great choice for Ashley. The Montagues and Capulets theme has such dark undertones--which would suit Ashley and I am guessing what she meant by "the bedroom Juliet."

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSxpxjMQ9c

Incidentally, it's the one Prokofiev piece I love and am really looking forward to the program. As to her SP--definitely thinking outside the warhorse box here, for the Oly year, no less. When is the season going to start already????!!!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She comes off as pretty dismissive/disrespectful towards Shirley Hughes. I didn't like that.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    She does, and she doesn't: at one point she credits both Hughes and Hill for bringing her skating to the next level.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I didn't know about Ashley snubbing Caroline on the podium at junior worlds. Why bring it up though but not even ask her to comment on it?
    I think they were trying to get her to explain it but they brought up both the 2009 Jr Worlds ceremony incident and the 2010 Nationals K&C incident in the same question and of course she jumped to explain the latter right away and forgot to address the former (even though she jokingly said she loved them for bringing it up), which was a waste.

I do agree with her that sometimes there are simply explanations for things but people are always inclined to believe or are more interested in the juicier stories. Perhaps she already hugged her backstage and didn't want to engage in formalities? Perhaps she simply forgot?

I wish they would ask her whom she would pick as the most likely winner of the 3rd spot and whether she currently plans to skate beyond this coming season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly On The Wall View Post
    She comes off as pretty dismissive/disrespectful towards Shirley Hughes. I didn't like that.
    I loved it!

vCash
    Did Shirley Hughes fire Ashley?

vCash
    I think Ashley has made the perfect progression from Shirley Hughes to Priscilla Hill with Irina Romanova to Mr. Nicks with Philip Mills and now to Rafael Arutunian with Shae Lynne Bourne and David Wilson. Sometimes the first coach one has had turns out, in the end, to be the best one one ever had, and sometimes the last coach is the best, and we will never know until Ashley's career is over if she has feelings one way or the other except that she has already mentioned good things about all. In fact so far, she has been nothing but gracious and ladylike in talking about all of the coaches and choreographers she has had. This whole interview was fabulous and representative of the fine sportsman Ashley is. I think her let me go get it and not bear a grudge attitude has helped her elevate her skating levels and grace. I wish her nothing but the best for the remainder of her career. Loved the piece here, which was actually just Ashley being Ashley.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There can be a best coach for a skater at each point in his or her development.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    OK - 2 questions:

Rafael is leaving Lake Arrowhead and they will follow him to the Toyota Center where Evan trains (I assume this is FC's rink, then) ?

She mentions 'Kira'. Is that Kiira Korpi?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    1. The only thing she knows for certain is that he'll be leaving Lake Arrowhead, but the rumor, told to David Lease by a skating mom, is that he'll move to Toyota, and she talked about what it might be like for her to train there with Lysacek and Nagasu.

I don't know anything about California driving patterns, except that they suck, and miles can be deceiving. Even in the Seattle area, Bellevue and Redmond (the East Side) are about 8-10 miles away from Seattle, but that could mean 1.5 hours of driving 3-8pm. Is the commute from Laguna Beach to Toyota Center feasible, or would she need to continue the two-apartment deal or move somewhere in between?

2. Yes.

vCash
    Loved the interview and her openness and honesty. Nothing she said sounded planned or packaged or scripted; all sounded very sincere. Made me more of a fan.
    Loved the "cat lady" comment. It's interesting; most posters here don't have much cred with skaters, yet many of them do read the comments and seem to be at least somewhat impacted by what they read. I guess because we are the voices of the fan base.

R&J. One of the "overused music" choices I do like and I think it's a fit. However of all the versions of R&J, I do feel the most power in the "A Time for Us" sad theme. I never tire of it in skating. I hope she gets the 3/3 out there and has a kick butt season.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The best cut of any "Romeo and Juliet" that I've heard or seen was Kozuka's Rota R&J, where the "Time for Us" theme didn't show up until the very end. I'm very much looking forward to hearing David Wilson's cut. There's so much more to the Prokofiev than the crashing chords of the opening, the big love theme (Balcony Pas de Deux), and the March of the Capulets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Did Shirley Hughes fire Ashley?
    Yes.

vCash
    Did anyone else feel dubious when she talked about being the bedroom scene Juliet who is in love for the first time? That seems like a stretch for Ashley. I don't care for her histrionics on ice, but I would rather see her try Body Heat than R&J. Although I did think she described it well. Maybe she will surprise me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The best cut of any "Romeo and Juliet" that I've heard or seen was Kozuka's Rota R&J, where the "Time for Us" theme didn't show up until the very end. I'm very much looking forward to hearing David Wilson's cut. There's so much more to the Prokofiev than the crashing chords of the opening, the big love theme (Balcony Pas de Deux), and the March of the Capulets.
    Yes. Also liked many parts of G&G's LP in 1990. Too bad they never skated the program really well, but it was pretty decent at Euros.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Did anyone else feel dubious when she talked about being the bedroom scene Juliet who is in love for the first time? That seems like a stretch for Ashley. I don't care for her histrionics on ice, but I would rather see her try Body Heat than R&J. Although I did think she described it well. Maybe she will surprise me.
    Um. No. Ashley can do sexy very well.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8sk8101 View Post
    Yes.

Interesting. Please, do tell us more about the A.Wagner/S.Hughes split...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Um. No. Ashley can do sexy very well.
    Sexy is Body Heat (look it up if you are too young to have seen it). Juliet is a lot more than sexy. Personally I don't see Ashley as either a natural Juliet or a great acting skater (unlike, say, Sasha in both regards). But YMMV.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Juliet is a lot more than sexy.
    I agree but so is the Black Swan (in a different way, of course), yet she did just fine. She was a terrific Black Swan, in a program that made her career, many would say. It seemed to me she meant passionate Juliet, not innocent starry-eyed Juliet. I think Ashley can do it.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The Black Swan was much, much more suited to her style than Juliet - IMO. But I hope you are right.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast