Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

TSL's Interview with Ashley Wagner

Part 1 is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39dmCQ2ciY
    At TSL, we often discuss the guarded nature of skaters while being interviewed. Ashley Wagner dispelled that notion during her two-part interview. In part one of our interview, we discuss Wagner's recent coaching change, her 2010 heartbreak, transformations, reaching the top of the sport and what she thinks about the two people who just can't stop talking about her.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Can't wait to watch it!

vCash
    Last edited by Badams; 07-24-2013 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    It's a great interview. She loves being in front of the camera and comes off as smart, funny, spontaneous, and self-aware. Also very aware of what others say about her. I had not realized that she intended to quit skating if she hadn't won Nats in 2012. I always love female athletes who say they want to win and second place is not good enough. I wish we could see this Ashley on the ice but these days she is so packaged it's almost boring. But I like her better after seeing this.

I guess they will get to the tough questions in Part 2, like why she broke up with Philip Mills and how she assesses her Olympic chances. Oh yes, and what it is like to skate with Yu Na.

ETA: She has a wicked phrase for skating board posters: cat ladies who sit back in ther armchairs and post that her legs look big today. Ding! (Although I don't think I have commented on her anatomy.)
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 07-24-2013 at 09:08 PM.

vCash
    Entertaining interview for sure. Can't wait for part 2 which I hope will come out sooner rather than later.

vCash
    Anyone knows when part 2 will be uploaded? By the way, thanks for the interview! I enjoyed it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    ETA: She has a wicked phrase for skating board posters: cat ladies who sit back in ther armchairs and post that her legs look big today. Ding! (Although I don't think I have commented on her anatomy.)
    Actually it's CRAZY cat lady. And my mind immediately went to the crazy lady who threw cats at people on the Simpsons.

vCash
    Also very aware of what others say about her.
    I'm sure most (if not all) skaters at that level are aware of what others say about them...regardless of whether they WANT to be aware or not.

But few (if any) choose to address them directly...

vCash
    Part 2 is up:
    The first half of 2013 was not the easiest time in Ashley Wagner's life. After narrowly defending her national title, she endured a public split with Philip Mills and the semi-retirement of John Nicks. With the Olympic season approaching, Ashley Wagner opens up about her triple-triple woes, new programs, her reaction to Philip Mills' infamous tweet and the impact of social media.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdFwnh-JB5o
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i really enjoyed how open she was about her highs and lows. i dont think TSL really pushes people but she was very open. i was never really a fan of her skating but i like her if that makes sense. i cant believe people tweeted her to tell her how bad they thought she was at nats last yr.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I have a feeling she is purposely more open than she is comfortable with just to show Dave and Jenny. I had expected her to say she was upset with what Philip Mills said but not that she was disappointed and felt that he was unprofessional. She is probably right and is entitled to feel that way of course, I just didn't expect her to say this out loud.

Actually I am most bummed that she seems to be committed to keeping the 2axel3toe instead of taking Dave's suggestion of repeating the 3flip3toe in both programs. As Jenny would say, her 2axel is scary.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If Wagner was being politically correct with her remarks toward Mills, she did not sound scripted or robotic. In Part 1, she enthusiastically gives him full credit where it is due for her "Black Swan" program, and even in Part 2 when she discussed the split, she goes out of her way to give him credit for training her, even saying that Nicks gets some of the publicity and credit that was due Mills. She has a sophisticated and mature point of view, looking at Nicks' and Mills' decisions from their point of view, even when they affected her deeply.

I just wonder if Nicks had made his decision about not traveling any longer before she decided to work with other choreographers whether she would have chosen to stay with Mills as both half-coach and choreographer, to maintain some stability. As it turned out, it sounds like Arutunian is a great half-coach for her, and if they do move rinks to where she has more direct competition, as she said herself, it might be a good incentive for her.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I think Raphael is much more than a half-coach. She certainly spends more time with him than Nicks.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I love Ashley's honest and unfiltered personality. I also like that she embraces her inner goofball and adorkable awkwardness. That quality makes a person more charming I believe. She's a beautiful young woman and I wish her well in this Olympic season. Her LP sounds like it could be intriguing; I can't wait to see it!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Love the interviews! Thanks!

Hubby went by the computer, looked at the screen and said: "Is that Ashley's mother?"
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    OMG:

"Ashley, I know why you don't like it. It's classy and it's actually good cuts of music and you are not used to that."
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I enjoyed Ashley, but I really hate Jenny's habit of asking her main question and five follow-up questions all in one shot. Fortunately, I can mute her entirely because Ashley's replies are smart, articulate, and good-humored.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I have new-found love for Ashley!

I had no idea she was so funny and lively. Her responses were flat-out hilarious at times but even during serious moments you knew she was keeping things real. I look forward to her programs this season and hope she gets that triple-triple squared away. She is going to have a great season. I know it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ashley is so real and so fun! And so realistic too. Best of luck and may your Olympic dream come true!

Wait, did Gracie Gold really want to name the tano lutz a Gold lutz???

from Speedy Death

vCash
    That was a fun interview. I didn't know about Ashley snubbing Caroline on the podium at junior worlds. Why bring it up though but not even ask her to comment on it? Regardless, I really enjoyed this interview. Great job everyone.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast