Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Alas he left Morosov about 2 seasons too late. Euro title and medals aside, his skating completely staled during all these years and there has been no artistic development. He is now no more than another Plushenko clone with jumps and flair but virtually nothing else. Hopefully this La Vie En Rose program and Lambiel-choreographed short can change that. (sorry but when talking about La Vie En Rose I immediately think of the disasters that were Czisny and Verner)

Look how far Fernandez has come since leaving Morosov. He has his own style and is set up quite nicely for an Olympic medal.

I hope these two are staying on after Sochi to push each other. They are both so talented.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    He wishes his jumps or flair were anywhere near plushenkos! If anything he is a weir with a terrible habit of leaving out jumps and whole jumping passes! He wishes!!

I've heard Amodio left Morozov because he wasn't able to clone Plushenko's medals too.

vCash
    I wonder how well Florent may do if he's given programs without pelvic thrusts. The elimination of those alone would be a significant improvement.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I wonder how well Florent may do if he's given programs without pelvic thrusts.
    Go watch his programs from his first senior season and you'll have your answer. He was wonderful (and a bit underrated) before Morozov took over.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    His programs were better before Morozov, but he didn't have much power to his basic skating: he looked better on TV, whereas in the rink, he often looked underpowered and inconsistent in speed. He's credited Morozov with helping him this way. He's gotten stronger physically over the last few years, too, which has helped.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

YEAH!
    vCash
    Alas he left Morosov about 2 seasons too late. Euro title and medals aside, his skating completely staled during all these years and there has been no artistic development. He is now no more than another Plushenko clone with jumps and flair but virtually nothing else.
    He would do well to have a career like Plushenko's, even his 2010 - 13 career of two Euro titles and an Olympic silver. Amodio's programs may not be everyone's cup of tea - I think he could do more, but I appreciate that he's one of the few guys who can really dance - but he still has very good basics and elements. This year's Euro SP showed that he can compete with Fernandez if he lands the jumps. Consistency is what he needs even more than choreography... if he landed his jumps more often, his PCS will go up anyway.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    His unhappiness at being in California reminds me of kostner.
    I didn't get the impression his unhappiness had anything to do with California, but rather with the last minute change of plans by Morosov, again.

There was a lack of rigor around me, not enough stability ...
    Sounds to me like he got tired of living like a gypsy.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    It's becoming rarer that a skater DOES stay with one coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    If Anissina is now in Paris, does this mean that she is actually preparing for the season as she stated earlier?
    Florent is not in Paris, he's in Vaujany, an alpine village near Grenoble, just beside l'Alpe d'Huez. There is a brand new rink (half underground with a very nice view on the valley and the mountains). That's where the next french championships will be.

I don't know where Marina is right now but she has been part of the french fed's plan for some time.
    For a few seasons, the french fed has centered its policy and funding on Bercy.
    Bercy is like a platform where the fed brings exterior help to doctor the skaters' weaknesses.
    Last season for example, Maé has worked with Sandra Garde to help her posture, polish her programs, make her more feminine. (Sandra is normally in Nice, that means she must travel weekly to Paris to take care of Maé ; Garde is responsible in good part of Maé's improved results and she gets absolutly no credit ; as a reminder, Garde is this, that and as a choreographer, this and with work-in-progress Maé that)
    There were several camps over the last years in Bercy with Urmanov for the jumps and with Lucinda Ruh for the spins.
    Claude Péri has moved from Dammary to Bercy and she's the real additional value, performance-wise IMHO. She's the one who made Vanessa James get her triple jumps back.
    Marina Anissina has also worked on the skaters' skating skills and overall polish regularly for a year.
    Sylvain Privé who is in Montpellier (quite a distance from Paris) also travelled regularly to help James / Ciprès with their lifts (Claude Péri who has trained them last season when Racle went away, comes from singles, not pair ; she was Morgan's former coach).

So 1° being in Bercy means a shot at a deluxe treatment for a french skater, which is probably why, when he tempestuously left Dumont after 4 months with her (September-December), Joubert agreed to come to Bercy and found a steady place there. And why Florent agreed to work with Krier, temporarily.
    But I'm gonna tell you something, the ambiance was so poisonous in Bercy 3 years ago that the skaters there were all leaving and that no exterior skaters would have settled there ; the arrival of Péri + the whole deluxe treatment has changed things and that will last for ... 6 months (that's how long mastermind Didier's plans last ) since the Bercy rink and the whole POPB will close their doors next February for a year and a half.
    And 2° Marina going to Paris and Vaujany to help the french team, that was planned. It's the "I wanna go to the Olympics" that wasn't. Maybe being part of this olympic preparation thing gave her the idea.
    Last edited by Nmsis; 07-26-2013 at 03:50 AM.

vCash
    YES! YES! YES!

Finally freed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmsis View Post
    Entire post.
    Thank you for all the information - that was very interesting! It's unfortunate, though I guess not surprising, that there are a fair number of coaches and consultants involved who are not being properly credited for their work. I hope that they are at least properly compensated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    AMODIO IS FREE!!!!!

(Who still needs to be freed from an onerous coaching situation?)
    Kevin Reynolds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    He would do well to have a career like Plushenko's, even his 2010 - 13 career of two Euro titles and an Olympic silver. Amodio's programs may not be everyone's cup of tea - I think he could do more, but I appreciate that he's one of the few guys who can really dance - but he still has very good basics and elements. This year's Euro SP showed that he can compete with Fernandez if he lands the jumps. Consistency is what he needs even more than choreography... if he landed his jumps more often, his PCS will go up anyway.
    Haha definitely. Even without much going on in his programs, he still couldn't get his consistency down. He was really musical. So was Leonova. They were both dialled down to Ando level of boring and tone-deaf after moving to Morosov. That's why it's such a waste that he stayed for so long with him.

And come on, a coach that knowingly allows his student to use vocal music and take a deduction during competition?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    His programs were better before Morozov, but he didn't have much power to his basic skating: he looked better on TV, whereas in the rink, he often looked underpowered and inconsistent in speed. He's credited Morozov with helping him this way. He's gotten stronger physically over the last few years, too, which has helped.
    At 2012 Europeans Amodio was one of the fastest if not the fastest skaters in the Men's competition, so I think MOrosov definitely helped with that. I'd like any new coach of Amodio to get rid of that annoying scrape he does with the free leg before his triple axels attempts.

And come on, a coach that knowingly allows his student to use vocal music and take a deduction during competition?!
    I thought the issue was that he didn't receive the vocal music deduction that he blatantly should have received.
    Last edited by antmanb; 07-26-2013 at 01:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I thought the issue was that he didn't receive the vocal music deduction that he blatantly should have received.
    That's true, but when they planned that stunt they didn't know that there would be no deduction. It could have been very costly for him.

When it was announced that Takahashi was returning the Morozov, I thought that might leave Amodio in the position Fernandez when those two were training mates: talented skater but not his coach's number one, doing programs that were beneath his talent (remember the awful SP he had in 2011?). I am glad that like Javi, Florent finally realized he was no longer benefiting from his work with Morozov, and I hope that he too will find a more productive coaching situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    That's true, but when they planned that stunt they didn't know that there would be no deduction. It could have been very costly for him.
    Or maybe they did and Morosov had politiked his way to not get a deduction from the judges

vCash
    Thank you for all the insights into what's going on in France, Nmsis.

He was really musical. So was Leonova. They were both dialled down to Ando level of boring and tone-deaf after moving to Morosov. That's why it's such a waste that he stayed for so long with him.
    Amen.

vCash
    Haha definitely. Even without much going on in his programs, he still couldn't get his consistency down. He was really musical. So was Leonova. They were both dialled down to Ando level of boring and tone-deaf after moving to Morosov. That's why it's such a waste that he stayed for so long with him.
    Hell to the YEAH. Free Leonova next!!!
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmsis View Post
    the Bercy rink and the whole POPB will close their doors next February for a year and a half.
    Why is Bercy closing for a year and half? Are they undergoing renovations? Where will the skaters who are based there train?

vCash
    The old POPB (Palais Omnisport de Paris Bercy) is about to become Bercy Arena.
    Some photos of the project
    Bigger, with new luxury boxes, conference and private rooms, a new shopping space, new bars, a second entrance on the river Seine side with a walkway toward the enbankment.
    Looks nice.

And where will the skaters go ?
    That's the 100 000 $ question. No idea. I'm not sure the skaters know either.
    Gailhaguet wil never want to let them go away to other coaches so he'll probably think of a solution.

I can tell you what his dream is.
    It is what the french ice hockey federation (who parted from the FFSG some years ago) is doing right now in Cergy. (which means the closing of Amodio's rink by 2015)
    A national training center with the federation's offices and the rink + all training facilities in the same building. (mental picture of Gailhaguet keeping a close watch on the rink from his desk, calling the coaches to make corrections on the jumps ).
    That's not in the making right now. But if he can show results from what is happening in Bercy, he could sell the idea to a city around Paris who is renovating or building a new facility.
    So there is an immediate interest in Bercy right now and a potential long term interest ... and a hole in-between.

vCash
    What is Morozov only good for one season? Or was he just off in 2013? Because like Amodio and Leonova both had tremendous 2012's! Tremendous!! So did I/K and Takahashi. But they are all still with him as is Leonova. Keeping the faith?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast