Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sexy Superhero
    vCash

Whose Line is it Anyway

Why didn't anyone tell me WLITA was back on the air. Now I'm a week late watching the first 2013 episode and I'll have to watch it on-line. At least I found out in time to watch tonight's episode as it airs.

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/whose-line-is-it-anyway/

vCash
    I miss Drew Carey. The new host is trying way too hard.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I first saw this show in the UK, where the host was Clive Anderson, who was awesome. He let the comedians shine, and complimented them with his very droll humor. When I saw it hosted by Drew, I felt it was the "All About Drew Carey and Oh Yeah, those Other Guys" show. He drove me absolutely nuts so I stopped watching it.

(In other words, different strokes for different folks. )

I'll have to see if I can find CW on DirectTV. I'm not familiar with that channel.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Double post.

vCash
    I watched it for Wayne Brady. He's way funnier than Drew Carey.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Why didn't anyone tell me WLITA was back on the air. Now I'm a week late watching the first 2013 episode and I'll have to watch it on-line. At least I found out in time to watch tonight's episode as it airs.
    It was listed in the "this week's premiers" list in the TV thread, and I commented about it there. What, did you want a marching band and a flashing sign saying "Hey, Rogue, Whose Line is back!"?

I found it to be a great combo of the familiar (in terms of Wayne/Ryan/Collin, and the games they do) and new (new improvers, a couple of new games like my favourite "sideways scene," and using celebrity guests instead of dragging someone in from the audience).

No hoedowns in the first 2 episodes. Ryan's one of the producers -- I bet he made that a deal-breaker.

I'm not sure Taylor is the best host they could have found ... but she's a zillion times better than Drew.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It was listed in the "this week's premiers" list in the TV thread, and I commented about it there. What, did you want a marching band and a flashing sign saying "Hey, Rogue, Whose Line is back!"?
    That would have been nice. I always appreciate special attention.

I'm afraid I haven't been paying attention to the TV thread since it covers too much ground and I'm interested in only a small portion of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I first saw this show in the UK, where the host was Clive Anderson, who was awesome. He let the comedians shine, and complimented them with his very droll humor. When I saw it hosted by Drew, I felt it was the "All About Drew Carey and Oh Yeah, those Other Guys" show. He drove me absolutely nuts so I stopped watching
    This is exactly what I was going to post! Clive had a dry wit and could get in some subtle but killer zingers, but without drawing attention away from the performers. Drew OTOH seemed to be making not very funny jokes that intruded on the show and were really about "pay attention to ME!!!" I might consider watching the new show, but I think I'd rather see if I can find any of the British ones online. The original Colin-as-a-dinosaur sketch is absolute gold.

vCash
    I loved "Party Guests" on the original British show. The dark haired comedian (Tony Slattery?) always cracked me up.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    The original WLIIA is still the best. "Props" was always my favourite.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    I agree that the original WLIIA is the best, but all incarnations have managed to make me laugh out loud. But then I also enjoyed the knock-off version called Improviganza that aired for a short while on GSN.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I might consider watching the new show, but I think I'd rather see if I can find any of the British ones online. The original Colin-as-a-dinosaur sketch is absolute gold.
    There's quite a few on You Tube. I watched them about a year ago or so.

vCash
    I agree that the original WLIIA is the best, but all incarnations have managed to make me laugh out loud. But then I also enjoyed the knock-off version called Improviganza that aired for a short while on GSN.
    Ditto for me. And that short-lived series they did last year, Trust Us with Your Life, which was sort of a cross between Whose Line and This Is Your Life.

BTW, this new show is a great illustration of how the sensors are considerably more lax in 2013 than they were in 1998. I recently watched some DVD extras from the first couple of seasons of the US show, and there were a lot of scenes that got cut due to "sensitivity" -- but very similar content made it on in the first 3 episodes of this new version of the show.

vCash
    Also consider that they're on different networks now...ABC then, CW now. That could account for a change in what's allowed and what's not.

vCash
    ^ Yeah, I wondered about that. Both are of course "regular" networks with the same rules, but they no doubt have different corporate sensibilities. Heck, even two different individual sensors on the same network could have different opinions about what's allowed.

(I still roll my eyes at the prudish reactions to a little sexual innuendo ... but non-stop blood, guts, and extreme violence are all okay. But that's a whole other issue.)

vCash
    I'll take Drew anyday over Clive Anderson. He was intrusive a lot of times, but it really felt like he and the rest of the cast (esp. Ryan) were good pals. They interacted like close buddies, dogging on each other and everything.

Maybe I just don't get most British humor though. The only Brit comedy I've ever liked is The Young Ones and Mr. Bean to a certain extent.
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 07-25-2013 at 05:14 AM.

vCash
    Glad to hear about the new incarnation. But I don't get the CW, sniff.

Sadly, I found Trust Us With Your Life... unfunny most of the time. How that is even possible with the WL cast, I don't know, I guess the format didn't work for me. I was excited when I read Josie Lawrence was to appear in/filmed one episode, though (from the UK show).

Then, they never aired the last two episodes, including hers, because it aired against the summer olympics (why no one seemed to look at a calendar before deciding the start date is baffling.)

I enjoyed Improvaganza, and it was great that you could watch it online as well. I loved Forward/Reverse, that game seems challenging.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    Glad to hear about the new incarnation. But I don't get the CW, sniff.
    Go to www.cwtv.com and you can watch the episodes on-line, although there are a couple of glitches you don't get when watching when aired.

vCash
    Go to www.cwtv.com and you can watch the episodes on-line, although there are a couple of glitches you don't get when watching when aired.
    Thanks, but the video doesn't load in Chrome and FF. Maybe geo restricted? Maybe it will show up elsewhere.

INTJ
    vCash
    This link works outside of the US
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast