Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does you ENTIRE family get together for every occasion?

While I think not having the whole family flying together- it does seem like the events mentioned have a much higher risk factor to the line of succession than a father and son flying on a plane together. If something happened while they were all on the balcony waving after a wedding- the next monarch would be very unlikely indeed; way way down on the list. Even more unexpected than the current Queen was.

Because while they are a family, the head of the family is also head of state of a number of countries. If they want to protect that, I'd think they can't all be at the same place at the same time.
    Pretty much the entire royal family is together at Sandringham every Christmas. Not the people who are 52nd in line to the throne, but the Queen, Prince Philip, their children, grandchildren and now great grandchildren are all there most years. And I think it would be quite unreasonable to expect that they exclude someone as a matter of protocol.

And a quick google search reveals multiple occasions when Charles and William have traveled on the same plane, particularly during his childhood and when family circumstances required it.

vCash
    I don't think there will be much of an adjustment for Charles. He does a lot of royal work now and has steadily taken over more and more of the Queen's engagements. He just doesn't get the same amount of press. I think this was one of the problems for Diana. She was expected to leap into things and work the same number of engagements as Charles. She really had no time to adjust. Again, with William, he has only ever done a casual level of engagements (really not even part time,) so I think he just doesn't get it. He doesn't want what happened to his mother to happen to Kate so her engagement have been cut way back from what William currently does. But William's engagement are no where near Charles' so the the result is Kate looks work shy. George had now been weaned so I hope, upon return from this tour, either make sure Kate has at least two engagements per week (which would still be very part time,) or they give up the whole "full time royal" thing.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Pretty much the entire royal family is together at Sandringham every Christmas. Not the people who are 52nd in line to the throne, but the Queen, Prince Philip, their children, grandchildren and now great grandchildren are all there most years. And I think it would be quite unreasonable to expect that they exclude someone as a matter of protocol.
    So if the first 52 in the line of succession can all get together at one location; why would it matter if 2 fly together. It seems like Christmas dinner has a greater potential to be an issue than a flight does.

Now, perhaps a plane crash is deemed more likely than an attack- so don't fly 10 of them together or something. But father/son seems silly to even care about.
    Especially since it has been done a number of times before. And because, as pointed out- they aren't running the country.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    So because I'm really bored at work today, I went looking to see how many engagements the royal family puts in. According to this article, here's the number of engagements in 2012.

1. Prince Charles: 592
    2. Princess Anne: 566
    3. Prince Andrew: 436
    4. Prince Edward: 431
    5. Queen Elizabeth: 425
    6. Duke of Gloucester: 337
    7. Duke of Edinburgh: 325
    8. Sophie, Countess of Wessex: 324
    9. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall: 276
    10. Duke of Kent: 239
    11. Duchess of Gloucester: 146
    12. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge: 111
    13. Princess Alexandra: 110
    14. Prince William: 88
    15. Prince Harry: 61

ETA: I couldn't find 2013 but I'm not bored enough to go through the Court Circular and count them up myself.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    It did happen that pretty much an entire Royal family was wiped out in a plane crash- in 1937. Prince Philip's sister and brother-in-law (she was born Princess Cecile of Greece, married to a Prince of Hesse in Germany) were travelling to the wedding of the younger brother of the Prince of Hesse who was in England at that time. The plane crashed, killing them both, their 2 young sons, his father (the "reigning" Prince, although not really, as at that time they had no real power, royal power in Germany having ended in 1918) and a couple of other members of the family. Cecile was pregnant at the time too. The surviving brother married, but had no children. Philip was 17 at the time, and deeply affected by the tragedy.

I don't know if this is when the policy started, but it may have been at around this time.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    So because I'm really bored at work today, I went looking to see how many engagements the royal family puts in. According to this article, here's the number of engagements in 2012.

ETA: I couldn't find 2013 but I'm not bored enough to go through the Court Circular and count them up myself.
    Interesting stuff. I believe each event watched at the Olympics was considered an engagement, just like if they go to two places (say a school and daycare) each for 1/2 an hour, it is counted as 2. That said Kate definitely did more than I thought. It would do wonders for her image if they allowed more photos to be taken when she is working. Many of these must have been private meetings.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I find it somewhat ironic that on a figure-skating board with a significant percentage of posters being US figure skating fans, anyone would wonder why a plane would be considered a bigger risk. Our Olympic teams don't fly together for a reason, too.

And I think anything about hem lengths and hairstyles printed by the Daily Fail is probably to be viewed with skepticism.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    He is the cutest little baby and I just wanna pinch those chubby little cheeks.

And that picture of them coming off the plane and Kate is wearing the red coat ... little baby totally gives me a Bill Murray in Caddyshack vibe with the expression on his face with the way his lips are all pouty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post

Wow, I'm very impressed with Charles. It seems that he does many things under the radar and without much fanfare. I don't get all this talk about the Queen skipping over him. It won't happen anyway, but it shouldn't. I have a feeling he'll actually be quite a good king.

Princess Anne strikes me has having a natural self-motivated work ethic. Good for her!

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Interesting stuff. I believe each event watched at the Olympics was considered an engagement, just like if they go to two places (say a school and daycare) each for 1/2 an hour, it is counted as 2. That said Kate definitely did more than I thought. It would do wonders for her image if they allowed more photos to be taken when she is working. Many of these must have been private meetings.
    I too wonder about quality of engagements vs. quantity. Traveling to a diplomatic meeting on a topic you have to educate yourself in advance for is very different from sitting in the audience at the Olympics and making small talk with some of the athletes and officials, or attending movie premieres.

The lack of work that William and Kate have done does dampen my impressions of them. I don't want young parents to have to work full time hours, but it's not unreasonable to expect them to work part-time hours. Three days of work a week (not all of it need be public) should be the minimum, in my opinion. Royal family members, by virtue of being public funded, have the duty to at least that much work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    The lack of work that William and Kate have done does dampen my impressions of them.
    In 2012, the year referenced in Alixana's post, William was serving full-time in the RAF, and his wife was living with him on-base. That they managed nearly 200 official appearances between the two of them that year strikes me as going above and beyond the call of duty and probably reflects the fact that that year was the Diamond Jubilee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    In 2012, the year referenced in Alixana's post, William was serving full-time in the RAF, and his wife was living with him on-base. That they managed nearly 200 official appearances between the two of them that year strikes me as going above and beyond the call of duty and probably reflects the fact that that year was the Diamond Jubilee.
    In addition, Kate was pregnant towards the end of the year. Considering her morning sickness was bad enough that she had to be hospitalized, I imagine she didn't have the easiest first trimester.

vCash
    I guess, at the end of the day, you either agree with the royal institution or you don't.

If you don't, you'll criticize their "work" or lack of it, their privilege and advantages, and pretty much everything else about the way they live. If you do, you'll follow them, seek out photos of them, and want to wear the dresses the royal women wear.

I feel indifferent. But I certainly think Kate is lovely and natural and seems to be very grounded with a good head on her shoulders. I feel the royal family is lucky to have her.

O-

vCash
    If attending Olympic events counts as a public appearance for each event attended, and going to two schools on the same day for an hour each counts as two public appearances, then I'd expect more than that between them.

I didn't realize that William was still in the RAF at the time. That certainly counts as work.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    If attending Olympic events counts as a public appearance for each event attended, and going to two schools on the same day for an hour each counts as two public appearances, then I'd expect more than that between them.

I didn't realize that William was still in the RAF at the time. That certainly counts as work.
    I don't even know how to respond to this post other than

vCash
    I can't speak for those two royals in particular, but I would say that if you are a member of the royal family and this is how you make an appearance at the Olympics, you should be getting extra credit.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I can't speak for those two royals in particular, but I would say that if you are a member of the royal family and this is how you make an appearance at the Olympics, you should be getting extra credit.
    Anyone who thinks HM is a cold fish with no sense of humor wasn't watching the Olympics. (Also: CORGIIIIIIIIEEEEEESSSS...Sorry. I'm a Corgi person.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I guess, at the end of the day, you either agree with the royal institution or you don't.

If you don't, you'll criticize their "work" or lack of it, their privilege and advantages, and pretty much everything else about the way they live. If you do, you'll follow them, seek out photos of them, and want to wear the dresses the royal women wear.

I feel indifferent. But I certainly think Kate is lovely and natural and seems to be very grounded with a good head on her shoulders. I feel the royal family is lucky to have her.

O-
    I don't really agree with the royal institution but it doesn't offend me & it often entertains me. But since it's alive & well it seems to me that none of us have a right to criticize how much "work" a royal does or not. None of us, esp non-UKers have any idea what their lives are really like. Sure it's a priviledged life but it's also mainly a public life with little or no privacy. It means that you can't please all the people all the time or even little of the time or none of the time & the public are very vocal about it. This thread is an example - here we have people with absolutely no knowledge of what they are talking about criticizing how much work they do.
    Last edited by taf2002; 04-11-2014 at 10:33 PM.

vCash
    Did anyone watch that pbs show on last night about princess Alice of brattenburg? What a kook! She's my new favorite royal.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    On a lighter note, more super cute pictures continue to come from the tour - Kate beats William in a sailing race.

Kate's hair

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I find it somewhat ironic that on a figure-skating board with a significant percentage of posters being US figure skating fans, anyone would wonder why a plane would be considered a bigger risk. Our Olympic teams don't fly together for a reason, too.
    This is normal in all works of life. Corporations have rules that do not allow more than a certain amount of executives on the same plane or car. I work in insurance so I know.

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast