Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

vCash
    Snip - double post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Back in June I PVR'd the rebroadcast of the Queen's coronation. My sister and I watched it over the holidays. My sister has decided that she is going to sent a letter to Prince Charles full of suggestions as to how he can modernize the Coronation service.

vCash
    ^^^
    Were she to do that, I wonder what sort of response she would receive?

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    It wouldn't get past his staff.

vCash
    She might get one of those politely dismissive letters: "The Prince thanks you for your concern..,"

vCash
    The Prince would show it to his mother, and the two of them would have a good laugh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    She might get one of those politely dismissive letters: "The Prince thanks you for your concern..,"
    I told her she would get some sort of response, even if it was just basically a form letter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    Back in June I PVR'd the rebroadcast of the Queen's coronation. My sister and I watched it over the holidays. My sister has decided that she is going to sent a letter to Prince Charles full of suggestions as to how he can modernize the Coronation service.
    Why would she want to modernize the service? The pomp & the majesty ARE the point, aren't they? Otherwise he could just open a hatbox & slap a crown on his head. (If he ever made it to being king, which I doubt he ever will.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Why would she want to modernize the service? The pomp & the majesty ARE the point, aren't they? Otherwise he could just open a hatbox & slap a crown on his head. (If he ever made it to being king, which I doubt he ever will.)
    The only reason he will not is if his mother outlives him. There are laws governing the succession and they are not easily altered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    The only reason he will not is if his mother outlives him. There are laws governing the succession and they are not easily altered.
    I think many people assume she will outlive him.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    She's tough for sure, but she's also nearly 88. I know her mother lived past 100, but she was also not on full active duty for most of her life as the Queen has been, and we've already seen her scaling back on her engagements. I can't recall any indication that Charles is in anything but perfect health at age 65. Did I miss something?

In other news, Prince William is heading back to school Love that he's spending his time doing good things and continuing to increase his skills and understanding for not only the job he will ultimately have, but his important role now - one that will likely only increase when he becomes #1 in line to the throne. This program seems right in line for stepping into his father's shoes as estate manager and proponent of sustainable farming practices once Charles becomes busier with other responsibilities as king.
    Last edited by Jenny; 12-30-2013 at 05:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think many people assume she will outlive him.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    She's tough for sure, but she's also nearly 88. I know her mother lived past 100, but she was also not on full active duty for most of her life as the Queen has been, and we've already seen her scaling back on her engagements. I can't recall any indication that Charles is in anything but perfect health at age 65. Did I miss something?
    Not that I know of. His father is 92, and his maternal grandmother lived to be 101. If Charles lives as long as his father has so far, his mother would have to live to be 114 for him to predecease her!

I think people the people who think he won't be King one day simply don't want him to be King, just as they didn't want him to marry his second wife and therefore assumed that he wouldn't even though it was already established that the Queen would allow her children to have second marriages outside the Church of England.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Jenny, while ITA w/everything you posted about William going back to University, you left out the, to me, best part of it all...

HRH The Duke of Cambridge will be taking this course at Cambridge University.

He probally could have taken this course at other University in the UK, as it sounds from conversation about this at The Royal Forums this is something that's offered at quite a few UK Universities, but chose the program offered at the University and Town His title comes from/represents/have no clue the proper term is, but I hope it's clear enough to make sense. What a brilliant PR move, even if this isn't the intent behind it, it's still brilliant.

There were some snarky comments made about William and Kate's visit to Cambridge last year and how it took them almost a year and a bit for them to "finally visit the city that gives them their title". This move will have "Their Duke at their University" and also the potential of seeing "Their Duchess and little Prince" around town. Yes, I know that part's pretty slim, but I'm willing to bet that thought is also going through the minds of many in Cambridge ever since the announcement earlier today.

As I said, it's win win on many counts. Not least of all William learning how to be able to properly manage all of the various and very different types of property that, not only make up the Duchy of Cornwall, but also the other holdings belonging to the Royal Family. There are rumours that what William learns could be put to use sonner than many think. Prince Phillip isn't getting younger and is still HM 's Chief Ranger of Windsor Great Park. Most of the rumblings are saying once this course is over and done w/, don't be shocked to see the DoE step down and William take over.

Like I said, all of that is only rumour, but for once IMO they make sense.

I leave as far as my Sister's in Sudbury on New Year's afternoon and then Toronto Saturday for Knee Surgery next week. Since tomorrow's going to be slightly busy w/packing, getting ready for New Year's and friends who be over to help us bring it in, the chance I'm online tomorrow is pretty slim, so...

Here's to a very Happy New Year of 2014 to all of us and to following the upcoming events we know are coming...

The upcoming arrival of Princess Madeleine's baby Girl (confirmed by the Swedish Royal Household after her and Chris put up a Baby Gift Registry list at their favourite store's website in the Fall that was discovered by the Swedish Media IIRC) and Zara Phillips' little one.

William, Kate and little George's big trip to Australia and Middle....Ooops!! I, of course mean New Zealand.

Not one, but three very important Wedding Anniversaries. First is Crown Prince Frederick and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark celebrating their 10th. Crown Prince Felipe and Crown Princess Letitzia of Spain are also celebrating their 10th Wedding Anniversary. The biggie though, and very special as well, is former King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece will be celebrating their 50th and Golden Anniversary. So hopefully we'll be seeing some celebrations of some sort.

BTW, if you're lucky to be in Denmark later this year, Royal Doulton is creating a special edition china doll of Crown Princess Mary in her Wedding Dress to mark the 10th Anniversary. However it's only available in Denmark, so like I said...If you happen to be in Denmark later this year, something to keep in mind.

That isn't the only big Family Event coming up in Denmark this year. Prince Henrik will be turning 80 this year and there's going to be a celebration of it in France according to the Palace when talking about upcoming major events for the DRF.

We're sure to have some Engagement Announcements and the two I'm willing to bet on are Princess Beatrice of York and Dave Clark and Prince Carl-Philip of Sweden and Sofia Helvequest (sp). As for Prince Harry and Cressida Bonas...For some reason, I don't see it happening this year, if it ever does. Not sure why I feel that way, but I do think we're at least a year away when it comes to those two.

And then there's a certain little Prince who will be celebrating his 1st Birthday in July. Always a big event for any Family, but especially for Prince George.

Well...For what was intended to be a quick post, this sure turned into an epic LOL!! Anyway, I hope you all have a Happy and Safe New Year's and I will chat w/you all in 2014!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    As I said, it's win win on many counts. Not least of all William learning how to be able to properly manage all of the various and very different types of property that, not only make up the Duchy of Cornwall, but also the other holdings belonging to the Royal Family. There are rumours that what William learns could be put to use sonner than many think. Prince Phillip isn't getting younger and is still HM 's Chief Ranger of Windsor Great Park. Most of the rumblings are saying once this course is over and done w/, don't be shocked to see the DoE step down and William take over.
    Yes, that is what I was thinking too, although not specifically about Windsor Great Park because I didn't know about that . That responsibility could perhaps go to Edward, who is going to inherit his father's title so maybe some of his other duties and positions too? Might make sense to keep Charles and William more focused on the things that are more closely tied to the roles of the monarch and #1 heir to the throne.

It's interesting that in business we talk about succession planning - not just who will be the next CEO, but how a company will survive into the future in many other ways. It certainly looks to me as though the Queen has been getting her house in order for some time to ensure a smooth transition of all responsibilities, duties and positions that she and Philip hold. And then there's the ripple effect - when Charles becomes king, suddenly William is Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall etc. Charles has been in the job forever, so I can't imagine that William would be able just to step in overnight - and I think this program at Cambridge is another in a series of carefully planned steps to prepare him for what is a huge role unto itself.

I wonder if the Queen realizes that Charles might have a difficult time of it given mixed public opinion about him and Camilla, so she's doing all she can to make sure everything is strong and secure and that he has a well established structure around him in the form of his family. The more stability the better.

vCash
    "I wonder if the Queen realizes that Charles might have a difficult time of it given mixed public opinion about him and Camilla"

I imagine the Queen is fully aware as she has not been living under a stone.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I think I punctuated the sentence incorrectly or something - of course she knows, but the point was more what she's doing about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Why?
    Because the women in that family seem to live forever.

I personally have no opinion on the matter, and don't wish death on either- so I don't really want to speculate who would die first.

vCash
    Stuck in the checkout line at the grocery store today--US magazine has a big picture of Kate on the front saying "IT'S OFFICIAL!" that she's pregnant again, with a girl, whom they'll name Diana. Um, I see nothing in the legitimate media about this. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Why?

Not that I know of. His father is 92, and his maternal grandmother lived to be 101. If Charles lives as long as his father has so far, his mother would have to live to be 114 for him to predecease her!
    If anyone can make it to 114 it would be QEII.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Stuck in the checkout line at the grocery store today--US magazine has a big picture of Kate on the front saying "IT'S OFFICIAL!" that she's pregnant again, with a girl, whom they'll name Diana. Um, I see nothing in the legitimate media about this. . .
    It's been floating around basically since the baby was born. At her first few events since he was born, whenever she looked a bit tired, there were internet commenters on some of the royals oriented pages insisting she had to be pregnant. Why else would someone with a young baby look tired, after all?

I assume it is going to be a story in the tabloids once or twice a month until she is pregnant again. They were doing it before the baby.

On a slightly different topic, on one royal oriented FB page, a few people are criticizing Lady Louise's wardrobe. Yes, ten year old Lady Louise. They are doing it in the name of "discussing fashion" and won't admit that it crosses a line. I'm not sure there would be enough money in the world for me to willingly live as a royal.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast