Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    they agree to renounce Catholicism in favour of the Church of England, they are still eligible. Can't change your birth, but you can change your religion.
    They are allowed to do this? I thought by being baptized Catholic it is the same as renouncing your place in the line of succession. I didn't think you could recover your place once you gave it up.

Also, she's still NOT Princess Kate, which the author seems to recognize by calling her Princess William once, but I think the article is misleading to many who are going to start calling her Princess Kate. She is Kate, who does happen to be a princess.

vCash
    So a male commoner can't marry a royal and get a title? How does that work?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I believe under the old rules (and still applies to those who made the step before the new laws got written) you are out of succession to the throne if you marry a Catholic and/or convert to Catholicism. I don't think you get back 'in' unless you publicly renounce it, though honestly if THAT many peopled died or abdicated they would probably have bigger problems than religious technicalities to worry about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    So a male commoner can't marry a royal and get a title? How does that work?
    A male who marries a royal can be given a title by the Queen (or reigning monarch). In the case of Princess Anne's first husband, he refused it and they also refused titles for their children.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    A male who marries a royal can be given a title by the Queen (or reigning monarch). In the case of Princess Anne's first husband, he refused it and they also refused titles for their children.
    What title would they have given him?
    And why did he refuse it? As well as refuse titles for Zara and her brother?

vCash
    What title would they have given him?
    And why did he refuse it? As well as refuse titles for Zara and her brother?
    No idea what title, but it is assumed that the Queen was prepared to give him one. Likely as an Earl or Duke. It is said that they wanted their children to have more normal lives and they likely knew that they would quickly move farther and farther down the line of succession as her brothers had children--all of whom would be ahead of her children under male primogeniture. Both the lack of titles and their place in the line of succession explains their rather unconventional names for royal grandchildren, too.

vCash
    It seems to have been clarified that Kate had the 'right' to use William's title: Princess William. Do men get that same thing (Prince Anne?) or must they be granted a title? So will Beatrice and Eugenie's husbands automatically get a title by their wive's title (since they are Princesses in their own right) or will they have to be given them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It seems to have been clarified that Kate had the 'right' to use William's title: Princess William. Do men get that same thing (Prince Anne?) or must they be granted a title? So will Beatrice and Eugenie's husbands automatically get a title by their wive's title (since they are Princesses in their own right) or will they have to be given them?
    I think it has to be given--prime example is that by not accepting a title, Mark Phillips had none and was never styled a prince merely by his marriage and neither is her second husband, while Anne retains her title. But perhaps that is something that should change with the end of male primogeniture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Do men get that same thing (Prince Anne?)
    No, because just like in cards, a King trumps a Queen, so if they have a non-Windsor man marry a Windsor woman, they have to be sure to give him a title that's obviously inferior to his wife's. That is among the reasons that Queen Elizabeth's husband is Prince Philip rather than King Philip.

Besides, "Prince Anne" would be too femmy, and Englishmen are already teetering on the girly edge with their crumpets.

vCash
    As I understand it, female children of the monarch cannot pass on titles after marriage so in order for her children to carry an aristocratic title, the King or Queen must grant one to her husband. I believe the Queen offered an Earldom to Mark Phillips when he married Princess Anne, but he refused it, so that is why Peter and Zara aren't known as Lord and Lady.

vCash
    Does the husband have to adopt the last name of the family or something? I'm a Johnny-come-lately to this royal thing. I know some consider it outmoded, but it is intriguing.

vCash
    Does the husband have to adopt the last name of the family or something?
    No, Philip uses the last name Mountbatten, the name his father adopted in England. Some Philip's descendents have at times used the name Mountbatten-Windsor. For example, Andrew and Anne used Mountbatten-Windsor on their wedding licenses, which suggests it's not a good idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    That is among the reasons that Queen Elizabeth's husband is Prince Philip rather than King Philip.
    Actually, he was initially only prince by his Greek and Danish titles from birth which he renounced to become a British citizen. His English title is the Duke of Edinburgh which was given by George VI on his marriage and Elizabeth later gave him the title of Prince of the United Kingdom.

Historically, a male consort has not been give the title King lest he try to usurp his wife's power or simply to prevent the public from thinking he has more power. Victoria wanted Albert called King and was advised against it.

vCash
    Actually, he was initially only prince by his Greek and Danish titles from birth which he renounced to become a British citizen.
    Correct, and he never got an upgrade to King in his British gig for the reasons you and I mention. He's spent the past six decades moping about it.

vCash
    No, Philip uses the last name Mountbatten, the name his father adopted in England. Some Philip's descendents have at times used the name Mountbatten-Windsor. For example, Andrew and Anne used Mountbatten-Windsor on their wedding licenses, which suggests it's not a good idea.
    I thought Prince Rainier's father had to change his last name to Grimaldi in order to become a titled Monegasque (sp?) prince? Does it all depend on the country of the royal family in question?

vCash
    Does it all depend on the country of the royal family in question?
    The Grimaldis are a different entrée on the long buffet of rich Eurotrash.

vCash
    The Grimaldis are a different entrée on the long buffet of rich Eurotrash.
    Oh, but they are my favorites!!!

vCash
    Oh, but they are my favorites!!!
    Whatever for? When the best thing about your entire country is a Formula One race, it's time to call it a day.

vCash
    Whatever for? When the best thing about your entire country is a Formula One race, it's time to call it a day.
    Are they nice people?

vCash
    They have an absolutely breath taking principality. Great shopping

Oh and a pretty cool castle.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast