Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    There's something incredibly unromantic about deciding your divorce before you even get married, but I suppose it's pragmatic.
    The Jewish marriage contract, or ketubah, which dates from the middle of the first century, outlines the husband's obligations during the marriage -- he has to feed and support -- and the cost of a divorce (in currency of the time, zuzim). This is up front, before the marriage. (A virgin bride was more expensive than a widow.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Rex, darling....I don't know what that means Urban dictionary isn't much help. Can you explain it to me?
    Just another term for ugly, North Philly style .
    Last edited by Rex; 08-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.

vCash
    People should also sign pre-parenthood custody agreements. Hashing through all those issues about child raising before they get married might help!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The Jewish marriage contract, or ketubah, which dates from the middle of the first century, outlines the husband's obligations during the marriage -- he has to feed and support -- and the cost of a divorce (in currency of the time, zuzim). This is up front, before the marriage. (A virgin bride was more expensive than a widow.)
    ... And the ketubah was presented to the bride to keep.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    There's already a Prince George doll for sale in the Parade magazine. It's pretty cute but

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    There's already a Prince George doll for sale in the Parade magazine. It's pretty cute but
    I'm surprised they didn't make replica's of the kid's fetus!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    People should also sign pre-parenthood custody agreements. Hashing through all those issues about child raising before they get married might help!
    It's in many pre-nups already these days, I believe. I have a friend who writes them for a living. This particular friend has been fairly scarred by the work he's done in family law and I'm pretty sure he'll have a pre-nup before he gets married
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    It's in many pre-nups already these days, I believe. I have a friend who writes them for a living. This particular friend has been fairly scarred by the work he's done in family law and I'm pretty sure he'll have a pre-nup before he gets married
    Since your friend is in law, I have a question abut custody pre-nups. In an advice column I read, it says any sort of child custody agreement in a pre-nup is non-enforceable, is that true?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't make replica's of the kid's fetus!
    That thought is just

vCash
    Prince Friso has died.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...friso/2642277/

Probably a grace for his family after two long years of severe brain injury.

vCash
    My sympathy to the entire family.
    An impossible situation, handled with grace,
    RIP, Prince Friso.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    Since your friend is in law, I have a question abut custody pre-nups. In an advice column I read, it says any sort of child custody agreement in a pre-nup is non-enforceable, is that true?
    It would depend on the jurisdiction. My friend is working in UK law where pre-nups have only been in force for a couple of years, so I don't know whether that idea has even been tested yet.

What jurisdiction did you want to know about? I can try to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Prince Friso has died.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...friso/2642277/

Probably a grace for his family after two long years of severe brain injury.
    That's sad, but not unexpected. They really lost him 2 years ago My heart goes out to his family.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I'm still not sure how he really feels...
    http://www.express.co.uk/comment/col...-Princess-Kate

vCash
    He needs to find a less stressful beat, like Pakistan or Afghanistan.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Geez, chill out dude.

vCash
    Couldn't he find something more important to obsess about?

vCash
    Very sad news, though not unexpected, about Prince Friso.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'm still not sure how he really feels...
    http://www.express.co.uk/comment/col...-Princess-Kate
    Obviously there are more important things in life (see above for a royal example). But if I were a reporter with a particular focus and someone had provided me information that caused me to report something inaccurately for an extended period of time, I'd be unhappy, too.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Obviously there are more important things in life (see above for a royal example). But if I were a reporter with a particular focus and someone had provided me information that caused me to report something inaccurately for an extended period of time, I'd be unhappy, too.
    True, but he could have done it differently instead of using his column to launch into a very personal essay on the topic. He simply could have said that as a journalist he was as surprised as many to see the birth certificate as he had been under the impression that the title princess did not apply, based on official statements from the palace at time of marriage and cross checking with spokespersons for the Queen etc. Subsequently he rechecked with the same sources who confirmed that the birth certificate is correct, which is also confirmed by an official statement from the palace following the birth of Prince George. Then he might have done something useful, and that's to recap all the titles of Kate as known today, with the corresponding titles of William and George thrown in for good measure. End of story. Factual, objective, sourced and reported to the best of his ability at that moment - that's proper journalism.

I really, really dislike it when journalists use their public platforms for personal diatribes. Sure, the other side could always respond in the form of letters to the editor (if they got printed, unedited, and if anyone noticed), and now they can directly comment on online articles and on their own websites and social media, but the fact is that the media themselves should be at a higher standard of journalism that is about fact, not about feeling. Even a columnist, who I realize is hired to share their perspectives and opinions as well as the facts, should be careful of crossing the line between writing as a journalist or topic expert to writing as an individual, which I think this guy did.

And it's the Queen for heaven's sake. She can put whatever titles she likes on her family, and she and the family can decide how they want to be referred. To me it's clear that they didn't want Kate to be known as Princess Kate for whatever reason (we can guess that they didn't want her too closely aligned with the other famous Princess, and perhaps they wanted her to have her own title rather than just Mrs. Prince, and to note the difference between her and other Princesses such as Beatrice and Eugenie, and align her more with the Duchess of Cornwall in statue), and surely, had they said that yeah, she's also a princess, the media would have run with that instead of using the title that they wanted her to be known for, which sounds like is more important anyway?

/and there's my diatribe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I suspect that he misunderstood what he was told, which was probably that, upon her marriage, she should be referred to as HRH the Duchess of Cambridge and not as Princess Catherine, Princess Kate, or Kate Middleton. [/voice of reason]

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Also, the same article makes a fuss about succession, with a couple of people way down the list being Catholic and therefore not eligible to take the throne. Well duh, and I think the Queen knows that better than anyone on the planet. It seems obvious to me that they are listed because they were born to those positions, and should everyone ahead of them die and they agree to renounce Catholicism in favour of the Church of England, they are still eligible. Can't change your birth, but you can change your religion.

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast