Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Diana was a much too young girl with stars in her eyes but she would have had to be deaf dumb & blind in order NOT to know what he was.
    Many women who are a lot older and more experienced are deaf, dumb, and blind wrt the men they are with, and they don't need crowns or castles to be part of the picture to be that blind. Look at Katie Holmes, who told her high school friends that she was going to marry Tom Cruise someday, and she was older and in a position not only to hear the rumors about him and about the Scientology apparatus, but to observe him first hand, and look how well that turned out for her.

He had dated her older sister for awhile as well - I always wondered if her sister tried to talk her out of marrying him.
    On the contrary, or, as the story goes, she got a whiff about him and Camilla before the wedding and went to her sister wondering if she should cancel, and her sister allegedly replied, "But Diana, the tea towels have already been printed," and she called the calling-off off.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Camilla has taken on her royal duties very well in the face of some horrible attitudes from some sections of the press, and I really admire her charity work, particularly the work she's done in recent years in advocating for rape crisis centres and women's shelters. When the time comes, I think she will help Charles to do a solid job as monarch & I don't think there is any reason to skip over them, especially considering that William & Kate aren't "full time" royals yet .

vCash
    When I hear all the stuff making Diana into a saint, I think of a line from the movie The Queen. It was something like the Charles character saying that the Diana the people knew wasn't the Diana the royal family knew. She definitely played to her crowd well. I have no illusions that her personal personality was the same as her public personality.

That said, her married life was definitely not easy at all, and I completely sympathize with her frustrations, which is likely what led to her eventual adultery as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    When I hear all the stuff making Diana into a saint, I think of a line from the movie The Queen. It was something like the Charles character saying that the Diana the people knew wasn't the Diana the royal family knew. She definitely played to her crowd well. I have no illusions that her personal personality was the same as her public personality.

That said, her married life was definitely not easy at all, and I completely sympathize with her frustrations, which is likely what led to her eventual adultery as well.
    She very possibly had a personality disorder. Even some public things indicate that. I doubt she made life easy for anyone around her. I'm sure her sons miss their mother, but I doubt that they have canonized her in the manner so many in the public have.

vCash
    The Palace confirms it.

http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/cambri...-william-13815

Okay, I know it is just a made up fluff piece and newspapers are desperate to print anything these days, but it drives me nuts when headlines talk about a woman "giving their husband the girl (or boy) they have always wanted.) The only person who is going to give William a girl is William. This is 2013, we do have a basic understanding of how these things work, right?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-29477175.html
    Last edited by mag; 08-06-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Okay, I know it is just a made up fluff piece and newspapers are desperate to print anything these days, but it drives me nuts when headlines talk about a woman "giving their husband the girl (or boy) they have always wanted.) The only person who is going to give William a girl is William. This is 2013, we do have a basic understanding of how these things work, right?

Well, I don't think William can have a girl without Kate's involvement (or at least, a woman's involvement)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    When I hear all the stuff making Diana into a saint ...
    A couple of my FB friends regularly post links to FB pages that pretend to be fan sites for Harry, William and Kate but in fact seem to exist entirely to promote Diana - and they have hundreds of thousands of followers posting sentimental things such as "Like if you remember Diana" the week George was born.

I followed Diana from the beginning until her death and sympathized with what she went through, but for heaven's sake let's move on! It's one thing to remember someone, but those pages are verging on morbid. If William and Harry can accept Camilla, and the British people can accept Camilla (which they seem to for the most part), and the Queen can accept Camilla, then that's good enough for me.

We've had discussions on these threads in the past on whether it's appropriate for media (or us for that matter) to call her Princess Kate or a Princess at all, and I recall some discussion about her technically being a Princess in Scotland, so it's good to have all that sorted once and for all. She and the palace have made it clear that she is to be known as the Duchess of Cambridge, but at least now when people and the media affectionately refer to her as a princess we know it's technically correct. And if they call her Princess Kate instead of Princess William, I don't think that's a big deal - it's not formally correct of course, but I think for the most part the term would be used with the best of intentions, same as Princess Diana or even Princess Di were used so often when she was alive, although neither was correct.

vCash

Well. . . the woman does play a bit of a role. It's chemistry! No, seriously. A woman's reproductive tract can be more or less receptive to X or Y sperm, and slight changes in the chemistry can make it more or less likely that an X or Y sperm will unite with an egg. This is probably the reason for families like mine (four girls, no boys)--that chemical balance between the parents simply favors X or Y sperm.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Well it's not like any of them consciously made the decision, biologically speaking or not.

vCash
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

We've had discussions on these threads in the past on whether it's appropriate for media (or us for that matter) to call her Princess Kate or a Princess at all, and I recall some discussion about her technically being a Princess in Scotland, so it's good to have all that sorted once and for all. She and the palace have made it clear that she is to be known as the Duchess of Cambridge, but at least now when people and the media affectionately refer to her as a princess we know it's technically correct. And if they call her Princess Kate instead of Princess William, I don't think that's a big deal - it's not formally correct of course, but I think for the most part the term would be used with the best of intentions, same as Princess Diana or even Princess Di were used so often when she was alive, although neither was correct.
    I have a clear and enduring memory of my grandmother getting really annoyed and explaining to me that Diana wasn't a princess in her own right, but Princess Charles. I was about 11. I skipped off to school and told all my classmates, who weren't happy and told me I was stupid.

I was right
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I have a clear and enduring memory of my grandmother getting really annoyed and explaining to me that Diana wasn't a princess in her own right, but Princess Charles. I was about 11. I skipped off to school and told all my classmates, who weren't happy and told me I was stupid.

I was right
    Actually, she was HRH the Princess of Wales - and after the divorce she became Diana, Princess of Wales, the title used on the royal family website. While technically Princess Charles may also be correct, he was already the Prince of Wales when they married, so it never would have been used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Given how the Spencers kept throwing both their daughters at the Prince of Wales without caring which one stuck , I doubt it.
    The Spencers were far from the only family doing so. It seemed that every girl with a lineage was thrown at him from the time he was "barely out of short pants", as the saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Camilla has taken on her royal duties very well in the face of some horrible attitudes from some sections of the press, and I really admire her charity work, particularly the work she's done in recent years in advocating for rape crisis centres and women's shelters. When the time comes, I think she will help Charles to do a solid job as monarch & I don't think there is any reason to skip over them, especially considering that William & Kate aren't "full time" royals yet .
    It doesn't take a lot for an ultra-rich person to do charity work. She is more admirable than someone like Paris Hilton who leads a pretty shallow life but it's not like she does a grueling job all day & then gives up part of her evening in order to help others. I used to think the same of Diana. I believed she honestly felt for disadvantaged children (so do I & millions of others) but it didn't make her a saint.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    It doesn't take a lot for an ultra-rich person to do charity work. She is more admirable than someone like Paris Hilton who leads a pretty shallow life but it's not like she does a grueling job all day & then gives up part of her evening in order to help others.
    I do meet and greets with the public as part of my job and believe me, it can be grueling. However, I get what you're saying. When I come home, there are no servants .. just 5 year old twins who are even more grueling!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    For over a decade, I did the 60+ hour-a-week jobs with extensive travel, and I would find it far more grueling being on my feet in heels and dress-up clothes in public making small talk, remembering new people's names, and being perpetually gracious and the Royal version of PC almost every 'freaking day and night, since the most active ones do day events and plenty at night, although they tend to get to sit down then.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-07-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I have a feeling you got paid a heck of a lot less for doing that than the royal family does for their meet-n-greets & public appearances.

vCash
    Can member of the royal family refuse to participate? At least the ones who married in knew what they were getting into, but the ones who were born into it- for some people, I cannot think of anything more stress inducing than having to meet-and-greet and make casual chit-chat.

Some days I think I'd rather do construction work than talk to strangers in person (give me a phone, I can talk to anyone...)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    For over a decade, I did the 60+ hour-a-week jobs with extensive travel, and I would find it far more grueling being on my feet in heels and dress-up clothes in public making small talk, remembering new people's names, and being perpetually gracious and the Royal version of PC almost every 'freaking day and night, since the most active ones do day events and plenty at night, although they tend to get to sit down then.

And imagine if your every move was photographed and recorded, and subject to criticism down to the smallest detail, and you had an army of people out there who would never forgive or accept you no matter what you did.

The pay might be higher, the houses might be bigger and the titles might be fancier, but that doesn't mean it's not real work.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I have a feeling you got paid a heck of a lot less for doing that than the royal family does for their meet-n-greets & public appearances.
    I might have made less money per year, but I would have made a lot less as a royal, because I would have been fired after day one. I can't think of a legal family business for which I would have been less suited, and the ones in the epicenter have fewer choices about punting, even if it takes years for them to come around.

And, if I got the same stipend regardless of whether I did the job, it would take a great sense of responsibility to actually do it. If I didn't, then I'd argue that what they do has greater market value than what I did

vCash
    Charles didn't do the job (or only half-assed did it) for years & he didn't get fired.

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast