Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I was hoping for the name to be David or Daniel in honor of William's mom Diana.
    they arent really in the mix for a monarch, plus i dont see how sharing a first initial honors her. if that is the case, they could name him darnell or d'artagnan.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Ooh, Prince D'Artagnan would be fun.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    I like George. It's a strong name. So is Alexander. My son's named Nicholas Alexander,
    My cousin's name is Nicholas Alexander. It's a nice name!

George Alexander Louis is predictable, but it's a nice name nonetheless. I understand George is far more common among younger generations in Britain than in the US.

vCash
    I was kinda getting sucked into the oh, fresh new baby beautiful Kate isn't it great group. But i just heard some lady on CNN say that William is a renegade for only picking 3 names instead of 4. That was a good reminder of why followings the royals is not my thing.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    they arent really in the mix for a monarch, plus i dont see how sharing a first initial honors her. if that is the case, they could name him darnell or d'artagnan.
    He wouldn't necessarily use his first name upon ascension. George VI's first name was Albert. And wasn't Edward VIII known to his family as David (David being the last of his names). But then again, that might not exactly be a point in favor of using that name.

vCash
    Maybe, if Charles uses George as his kingly name, George Jr. will buck the trend and use one of his other names, like Alexander or Louis? Y'know, if he felt like reigning under a unique name. Anyway, not that it really matters to me; at the rate his family tends to live, I doubt I will live to see wee George take the throne (unless something bad happens to his dad, God forbid).

Speaking of, I know there's discussion about Charles ruling under a different name (which I had never heard of until recently, btw), but is it generally a given that William will rule as King William, or is that up for debate as well?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Ever since I read: "I always sign G. Bernard Shaw, and my professional name is Bernard Shaw without the George, which I loathe", the name carried slightly negative connotation for me. Seems that the Royals don't share the sentiment, though
    ...I'm just curious, does no one remember the regnal name of the Queen's beloved father? I figured they were going for George, and going for it mostly in George VI's honor.

Especially because no way could they use his family name...Albert.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Not to mention that the Queen never really forgave her Uncle David (aka Edward VIII) for dumping the monarchy on her father. That was the name the family used with him so I doubt it would have been a really popular idea.

Plus, well...."King David" is a tad...um...Biblical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Thanks goodness the "must be royal blood" thing has been abandoned, but I bet there are some royal watchers doing the matchmaking already.

But why only consider female matches?
    There are more princesses than princes among the kiddie royals of Europe these days. I think the boy closest in age to George is Prince Vincent of Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Why would he do that? It's not like the name "Charles" would be a radical precedent-breaker. There have been previous kings named Charles.
    OTOH, if you look at the reign of the two previous King Charles, he might prefer a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I was hoping for the name to be David or Daniel in honor of William's mom Diana.
    David is one of Prince Harry's names, though - I imagine if they'd wanted to, they could have used it as a middle name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    How do the British pronounce Louis? I know people with that name who say it different ways. That is going to sway my opinion on the name.
    Like this.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    o
    Lord Louis Mountbatten was blown up by terrorist in 1979 while aboard his yacht, and Prince Charles was devastated that he had lost his Uncle Louis.
    The giving the baby the name Louis would please Prince Charles more than giving him the name Charles, I suspect.
    I agree and think it was a lovely gesture for his feelings.

I'm also happy for Queen Elizabeth that the child shares her beloved father's name.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    That would never happen unless she was willing to give up her place as monarch or vice versa. Both Estelle and George will be the royal leaders of their respective countries and there wouldn't be a King/Queen of the UK and Sweden. I know that's happened before in history but it's doubtful it would ever happen again.
    Hey, if she abdicated, then her freaking gorgeous uncle, Prince Carl Philip, would get to be king (assuming Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have no other children), and I could definitely deal with a king that looks like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Not to mention that the Queen never really forgave her Uncle David (aka Edward VIII) for dumping the monarchy on her father. That was the name the family used with him so I doubt it would have been a really popular idea.

Plus, well...."King David" is a tad...um...Biblical.
    Totally OT here, but, it you are looking for a fun summer read, pick up Gone with the Windsors. I bought it in a used book store on vacation this year. It is an interesting fictional account of Wallis Simpson written as a diary from the perspective of her best friend. It is fictional, but shows an interesting American view of things.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Totally OT here, but, it you are looking for a fun summer read, pick up Gone with the Windsors. I bought it in a used book store on vacation this year. It is an interesting fictional account of Wallis Simpson written as a diary from the perspective of her best friend. It is fictional, but shows an interesting American view of things.
    I don't think royalty (or people screwing up royalty!) is every off-topic in a royalty thread!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Hey, if she abdicated, then her freaking gorgeous uncle, Prince Carl Philip, would get to be king (assuming Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have no other children), and I could definitely deal with a king that looks like this.
    Um....yes, please.

vCash
    Whoa. Looks like King Neal Caffrey (from White Collar). I could deal with that. (Except King Neal Caffrey would probably rob the country blind. )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Everyone knows CP is the best-looking prince. However, by the time such an event could conceivably occur, he won't look that good Also I'm going to guess that Estelle will not be an only child. So we'll just have to enjoy whatever CP glimpses we can get...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    This is amusing - one thing didn't quite go as planned on the big day - the town crier was a party crasher!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Everyone knows CP is the best-looking prince. However, by the time such an event could conceivably occur, he won't look that good Also I'm going to guess that Estelle will not be an only child. So we'll just have to enjoy whatever CP glimpses we can get...
    Only downside to gorgeous Prince Carl Philip ever becoming King is that there's a chance that his current girlfriend could become queen. Nothing against her, but I don't know if this is necessarily royal.

vCash
    Only downside to gorgeous Prince Carl Philip ever becoming King is that there's a chance that his current girlfriend could become queen. Nothing against her, but I don't know if this is necessarily royal.
    Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway reportedly has a pretty wild past (though no snake pictures) and not everyone was happy when that engagement was announced, but it hasn't been a problem. I don't think Sofia Helquvist's modelling work will be an issue - plus, her being at Estelle's christening and Madeleine's wedding is a pretty obvious sign that the royal family is okay with the relationship.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast