Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Nice tiara. But where are the pics of the gown she wore? And more pics of the tiara from different angles? The paparazzi are slacking off.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    It's not that so much as, unlike their Danish and Swedish counterparts, there are very rarely any pictures released of this event. Why? No idea, but that's how things go w/this one and The Windsors.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Various Press agencies are reporting there has been a threat sent to the Palace in Brussels from someone who wants the King and his Government to stop allowing "those foreigners and Muslims to come and take away Belgium from true Belgians" or similar rantings I think we all know too well these days. This person states in the letter if HM and his Govt don't do something to stop it, he promises he will kidnap HRH Princess Elisabeth, the Heiress to the Throne.

That's all I know about this right now, other than the fact The Royal Household has confirmed. I'm sure we'll learn more tomorrow, but....

vCash
    There are always threats like that. They're just not usually made public. Elisabeth will be well protected either way.

And I used to live in Belgium. The nutter is clearly deluded to think that either the King or the government has any power This is the country where the economy improved when there was no government for over a year...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    A little more info on the tiara and a slightly better view of the top of the dress:

http://whatkatewore.com
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "People" identified the tiara in its headline above the photo: "Kate Middleton Wears Lotus Flower Tiara After Queen Elizabeth, Princess Margaret"

As far as Queen Elizabeth not trusting her sister with the throne, Princess Margaret's relationship with Peter Townsend was in full bloom when she took the throne, and it was two years before Princess Margaret stated that she could not go against Church teachings that a marriage cannot be dissolved in the religious sense and that she could not marry Townsend. Not exactly reliable, since the option she rejected, a civil marriage and renunciation of her place in the succession line would have been too reminiscent of her uncle's abdication, something the royal family wanted the public to forget.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I really think they just don't think like that. It's not a question of trusting a sibling or thinking he or she would do a good job, but the focus for thousands of years (for every monarchy, not just this one) has been on the direct succession, from parent to child (father to son until recently). Sure, a sibling can (and has) step in if necessary, but no matter how capable the sibling it's not the preferred succession. I think no matter how fond William is of Harry or how capable he thinks his brother to be, it is too deeply ingrained in all of them for him to think "well, I've got a brother, no need to worry about an heir." It's not a judgement on the sibling, just a different sense of what the "duty" is when you're in the direct lne.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MLIS View Post
    I really think they just don't think like that. It's not a question of trusting a sibling or thinking he or she would do a good job, but the focus for thousands of years (for every monarchy, not just this one) has been on the direct succession, from parent to child (father to son until recently). Sure, a sibling can (and has) step in if necessary, but no matter how capable the sibling it's not the preferred succession. I think no matter how fond William is of Harry or how capable he thinks his brother to be, it is too deeply ingrained in all of them for him to think "well, I've got a brother, no need to worry about an heir." It's not a judgement on the sibling, just a different sense of what the "duty" is when you're in the direct lne.
    That's the ideal, of course, but in the thousand years of British history since the conquest it doesn't really happen that way. Only once has there been an unbroken line of 4 generations father to son (Henry 111 to Edward 111), and once 3 generations (Edward Vll to Edward Vlll). The first Georges would have made another line, but it breaks from George 11 to George 111, as the latter was the grandson of the former- his father having predeceased him). Of the 40(ish) successions from one monarch to another- not counting the claims of people like Jane Grey and Matilda, who aren't "official" monarchs, and who would skew the stats even more away from the father to son model anyway, only 19 have been father to son- so less than half. It may not be the preferred way, but the reality is that it has gone to a sibling, a cousin or a niece/nephew more often than not. The current 3 next heirs look like another unbroken line to come for a few generations, but who knows what will happen?
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Oh, yeah, I know that's the ideal, not the reality a big chunk of the time, but I'm just saying I can't see anyone in the direct line thinking "meh, I've got a decent sibling, no big deal if I don't have kids." Or thinking the only reason to have a child is to block an unreliable sibling from the throne.

vCash
    Fertility treatments hadn't advanced very far when Elizabeth was married. So it's not hard to imagine that in the early 50's, one did not assume they would be able to have health children "whenever."
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    She was considered pretty ancient when she had the second group by the standards of the day.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Oh, yeah, I know that's the ideal, not the reality a big chunk of the time, but I'm just saying I can't see anyone in the direct line thinking "meh, I've got a decent sibling, no big deal if I don't have kids." Or thinking the only reason to have a child is to block an unreliable sibling from the throne.
    I thought the normal thinking was "I've got to have an heir & a spare".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    She was considered pretty ancient when she had the second group by the standards of the day.
    Exactly. I remember my mom saying that when she had my sister in the early 60's (and she was in her early 20's) that she was the oldest mom on the ward and the only one having her first baby. Getting married young and having kids young was really the norm. I suspect it never occurred to Elizabeth to wait especially since it was a given that the baby would have an army of servants to look after him or her. That was also very much the norm for that segment of society.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Maybe that was Albert of Monaco's thinking- he didn't marry until he was 50 after all. Had he been concerned about an heir, he would not have waited so long.

And in the past, plenty of heirs have not married, or have knowingly made unsuitable dynastic marriages (think Franz Ferdinand here, for example). Elizabeth l didn't seem too worried about the succession, either, and she did her best to prevent near relatives from producing heirs as well (Catherine Grey, Arbella Stuart and others).
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    When Elizabeth had the first two children, it was a time of comparative uncertainty in general, with the cold war, nuclear weapons, and Britain's new role in the world. That may have strengthened a desire for some stability in some area of life.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Elizabeth l didn't seem too worried about the succession, either, and she did her best to prevent near relatives from producing heirs as well (Catherine Grey, Arbella Stuart and others).
    Elizabeth I didn't want people around who may have a more legitimate (in terms of not being born to parents who may or may not have been in a bigamous relationship, depending on your religious POV) claim to her throne. It's pretty clear, I think, that she intended James to succeed her all along because she sure as heck wasn't going to give up her power to a man after the way her father had treated her, and King Phillip treated Queen Mary, just to have a heir of her own body.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Elizabeth I didn't want people around who may have a more legitimate (in terms of not being born to parents who may or may not have been in a bigamous relationship, depending on your religious POV) claim to her throne. It's pretty clear, I think, that she intended James to succeed her all along because she sure as heck wasn't going to give up her power to a man after the way her father had treated her, and King Phillip treated Queen Mary, just to have a heir of her own body.
    Elizabeth's situation was very complex, of course. Her reasons for not marrying were many, including, as you say, a refusal to share her power.

She did, however refuse to name James as her successor until almost the very end of her life- the succession was not particularly clear to the people at the time. The Greys and the Douglases certainly had a claim at a time when the rules of succession were not clearly laid out, as Henry Vlll, and Edward Vl had altered the rules in their wills, and the wars of the previous century (and the Tudor succession itself) meant that the throne did not necessarily go to the closest blood claimant.

Elizabeth's refusal to marry, and her reluctance to allow any of her heirs to marry to prevent potential rivals for the throne (James was beyond her control, of course) meant that by the time of her death the pool of possible claimants was very thin indeed.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    She is really good with kids. I hope she has lots, she is such a natural. Is there anything more tragic than a children's hospice?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I can't help but think after trips like these she goes home and hugs George just a little bit tighter.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast