Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I read an article about a year ago about why things were tough for them. They are both well educated, but couldn't find work after uni. It's difficult to find a job suitable for a royal in the first place since the men go into the military and the women have never had to work, but with this economy....

The article was stating the further they get from the throne, the more pressing it is for them to find work or marry.
    Well, Beatrice has been rumored to be marrying her boyfriend (Dave Clark) forever, and he's pretty well-off, so she shouldn't have money troubles and can continue with whatever sort of work she wants to do (I think she's worked in finance alongside doing charity work), and Eugenie is supposed to start a job at an auction house soon. They both graduated with 2:1 degrees as far as I know.

I don't get the impression that they expect to be full-time royals for the rest of their lives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Is that so bad? If all you want to do is have a secure home and income, enjoy the parties and pageants, and do a little charity work, then maybe it's a good thing that you are further from the throne and don't need to take on as much responsibility.
    Charles has said that he plans to scale down the "firm," and many believe that he plans to cut out Andrew's daughters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Charles has said that he plans to scale down the "firm," and many believe that he plans to cut out Andrew's daughters.
    I don't know if it has much to do with Charles. Anything slightly controversial is always blamed at him, but look at who was on the balcony for the end of Jubilee celebrations last year. It was the Queen (Phillip was ill), Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry.

Charles has no power yet. That was the Queen's work. That's why she's the Queen

And even if it was Charles...it makes sense. William's family is growing, Harry may eventually settle down too, and the balcony will be populated once more.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I don't know if it has much to do with Charles. Anything slightly controversial is always blamed at him, but look at who was on the balcony for the end of Jubilee celebrations last year. It was the Queen (Phillip was ill), Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry.
    Sure, it could be the Queen who wants to scale back on who gets the goods, and the kids of a nefarious next-in-line are the place to start. We're all descended from someone important; the lucky few get the titles, the rest of us are relegated to babbling about our family tartans at Ren Faires with our fellow cast-offs.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Some of us don't even *have* a family tartan. :

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Some of us don't even *have* a family tartan. :
    No worries, you still have a place at the Ren Faire. Just drop 20 bucks with the guy selling mugs with your authentic family crest that hangs above your ancestral castle in Bavaria (read: he drew it on his laptop and uses the same one with 254 other surnames).

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    No worries, you still have a place at the Ren Faire. Just drop 20 bucks with the guy selling mugs with your authentic family crest that hangs above your ancestral castle in Bavaria (read: he drew it on his laptop and uses the same one with 254 other surnames).
    A few years ago someone offered to sell us a drawing of our "family coat of arms"- my Dad's response was "Coat of Arms? In our family we were lucky if we had a coat!"
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    A few years ago someone offered to sell us a drawing of our "family coat of arms"- my Dad's response was "Coat of Arms? In our family we were lucky if we had a coat!"
    Not to mention that the bestowing of a crest on one man at some point in Eurotrash history in no way implies that his tawdry little descendents, who have since fanned out to equally garish colonies, have claim to such symbols.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    I'd love to see what a Portuguese/Japanese family tartan looks like!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    I'd love to see what a Portuguese/Japanese family tartan looks like!!
    The Japanese are one of the cultures in which the family emblem actually is passed to descendents, but most of them consist of water chestnuts, chrysanthemum blossoms and other frilly symbols, so they're kept in the closet along with the geisha-wear. If you're Portuguese, you already have the world's best dessert wine, so imbibe with a glass sipper as you titter at the silly Gaels buying their hideous $20 mugs with fake crests.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    The Japanese are one of the cultures in which the family emblem actually is passed to descendents, but most of them consist of water chestnuts, chrysanthemum blossoms and other frilly symbols, so they're kept in the closet along with the geisha-wear. If you're Portuguese, you already have the world's best dessert wine, so imbibe with a glass sipper as you titter at the silly Gaels buying their hideous $20 mugs with fake crests.
    On a serious note, the Japanese part of my family history is 3 generations ago so I don't know much about our family emblem .. it's something that I'm trying to learn more about to pass on to my twins. But I'm certainly familiar with the Portuguese dessert wine and those deadly fattening custard tarts.

ETA: totally off topic, I know
    Last edited by Alixana; 08-28-2013 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Is it just me, or has William gotten significantly balder since the wedding? All men who have the baldness gene naturally get balder over time, but it looks like it's been really fast over the last two years--faster than his father certainly.

vCash
    Katie is looking lovely as always, motherhood agrees with her

vCash
    ^^^
    She looks wonderful; perfect for the occasion.

vCash
    It was very thoughtful of Kate to make her first appearance in Wales where they have made their home for the last 4 years. A very nice way to say thank you for the privacy and support.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Good point mag That community has been wonderful to them.

vCash
    Not quite.

If he wanted to remain a royal, yes. Given he's unlikely to ever be king, there's nothing to stop him renouncing his right to the throne and then marrying whoever the hell he wants! Think Edward VIII...
    I'm pretty sure that an Act of Parliament would still be required:

In 1936 the statute His Majesty's Declaration of Abdication Act 1936 specifically excluded Edward VIII from the provisions of this Act upon his abdication, allowing him to marry the divorcee, Wallis Simpson. The wording of the statute also excluded any issue of the marriage from being subject to the Act.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_M...er_Edward_VIII

But he might be able to do it some day:

n October 2011 David Cameron wrote to the leaders of the Commonwealth Realms proposing that the act be limited to the first six people in line to the throne.[15] The leaders approved the proposed change at a summit in Australia.[16]

Section 3 of the resulting Succession to the Crown Act 2013,[17] if it goes into effect after also being implemented by the other Commonwealth realms, will repeal the Royal Marriages Act 1772 in its entirety, replacing it with a requirement for the first six persons in the line of succession to obtain prior royal consent in order to maintain their eligibility of succession. Article 3(5) of the new Act also provides that, except for succession purposes, any marriage that would have been void under the original act "is to be treated as never having been void" if:

• It did not involve any of the first six persons in the line of succession at the time of the marriage;
    • Royal consent was never sought;
    • "In all the circumstances it was reasonable for the person concerned not to have been aware at the time of the marriage that the Act applied to it, and"
    • No one has acted on the basis that the marriage is void

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_M...Crown_Act_2013

vCash
    Royal baby news, the non-UK variety: Princess Madeleine is pregnant and due in March (official confirmation here).
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 09-03-2013 at 02:55 PM.

vCash
    Must be a slow news day .... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-William.html

I thought the whole university thing was old news. It seemed pretty common knowledge that she choose St. Andrew's because that's where William was going. I'm sure there were MANY women who did exactly the same thing. Getting into the same uni is a far cry from actually marrying the guy. I'm sure there was/is more to their relationship than just that.

Quite funny too about an ultimatum. Maybe about getting married, who knows, but about children? This is one of the few guys on the face of the earth who a woman is guaranteed will want children when he gets married. There seems to be quite the contingent of people out there who just can't stand that William choose Kate. I hope she doesn't read this kind of "news" paper.

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast