Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

2013 Skate Detroit, July 23-27

Might as well start a thread even though the entries are not yet published online that I can find.

Event schedule: http://www.dscclub.com/downloads/ska...t-schedule.pdf

I'll copy over some of the relevant posts from the general U.S. club competitions thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    I think I will definitely check out skate Detroit - Thursday and Friday. I'm sure there'll be good skating even if I don't know the full roster. Is anyone going? Any advice for a hotel to stay near the venue? I'll need a room for Thursday only. Feel free to send me a PM. I'd love to meet up with people.
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Lawrence/Swiegers will be there as per their twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Zhang & Bartholomay (and I assume Kayne & O'Shea too since the Florida teams tend to do the same summer comps) are competing there for sure. She tweeted about it earlier today. I'm going to be in Detroit too and I'm looking forward to a great competition and hopefully seeing lots of friends!
    Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier, Jessica Calalang/Zack Sidhu, and Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson are some of the other U.S. pairs that are supposed to compete. 2 of the U.S. Senior men will be Grant Hochstein and Tim Dolensky.

ETA more competitors: Kemp/King (GBR), Paul Parkinson (ITA), Lukas Kaugars, Mariah Bell.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-23-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Yay! I was going to post a thread. I'm very excited to get to attend part of this event. I hope to arrive in time for senior pairs on Thursday, and will need to leave probably after the first group of senior ladies free on Friday. I'm en route to Chicago for the US Classic gymnastics meet and thought why not check out some skating since it's about half way for me from the Toronto area.

I hope I can meet up with people as it's always more fun to watch with friends!

Any suggestions for things to do in the area - on Friday I would like to do some exploring and then get to the rink in time for senior men, depending on which junior ladies are there I guess - I am the Canadian ladies über after all

Alaine Chartrand tweeted that she'd be skating.

Here's a PDF with info about the event: http://www.dscclub.com/downloads/eve...nouncement.pdf

Says they don't charge admission! Is that normal for US club competitions?
    Last edited by danafan; 07-23-2013 at 05:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Says they don't charge admission! Is that normal for US club competitions?
    Yes. I don't think I've ever seen admission charged at a US club nonqualifying competition.

vCash
    I just called Detroit Skating Club and was told they will have a program available for sale. Last year it was $5 so I hope it will be about the same this year. If you are interested look for a podium with a sign (probably won't be up for a couple of more hours) toward the right of the lobby near Rink B.

Parking is free. There is a sign posted about no outside food, but I took a small snack in my bag and it didn't cause any problems. They actually have a very good grill/café in the lobby area which makes good food (burgers/chicken breast/salads) and beverages at a reasonable price - completely the opposite of any major arena I've ever been in

What I noticed other years is that the hotter (think 90+F) it is outside the colder the rinks are. Be prepared - socks, jackets, blanket.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I've typed up entries (as printed in the program book) for Senior Men/Ladies/Pairs, Junior Men/Ladies/Pairs, and Novice Pairs: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...skate-detroit/

Perhaps this competition should be renamed Skate Canada-Detroit?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for the list of competitors Sylvia. I think you might be right about renaming the event!

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Thank you for typing the list, Sylvia! Are any ice dancers competing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I've typed up entries (as printed in the program book) for Senior Men/Ladies/Pairs, Junior Men/Ladies/Pairs, and Novice Pairs: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...skate-detroit/

Perhaps this competition should be renamed Skate Canada-Detroit?
    Thanks Sylvia!

Briber of judges
    vCash
    17 pairs teams! HeatherC and jkl will be thrilled! We need reports ladies!!!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Including Divette/Utah in the Jr Pairs!
    Last edited by shan; 07-24-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: autocorrect strikes again!

vCash
    I'm really surprised not to see Hannah Miller competing since she's local and always competes there.

vCash
    Hannah Miller is in a cast. I am not sure when it happened.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    My unofficial hearsay info is that Hannah Miller had minor surgery on her foot and is hoping to return to the ice soon.

Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Thank you for typing the list, Sylvia! Are any ice dancers competing?
    You're welcome! I believe so (most likely teams based at DSC), but we won't know for sure until they actually compete. I wasn't sent those pages in the program book.

Any results I receive will be edited into my blog - Intermediate/Novice/Junior Ladies SP events are today: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...skate-detroit/

vCash
    I have heard unofficially that Amber Glenn won the junior ladies SP.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I am definitely STOKED for the pairs event!!! Also stoked that I get to see one of my favorite people as she starts into her second year of full time coaching (that's Amanda Evora in case you've been living under a rock, LOL).

I won't have a lot of FSU access during the day but I will try to come post some things in the evenings when I get back to my hotel. I'll be posting some pictures and stuff on Twitter (kwanfan1212) so feel free to follow me over there if you want and the pics will be cross posted to Facebook for anyone who's my friend there. SO excited to see some live skating this week!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Thank you Sylvia an Flip Jump. Hopefully Hannah will be able to make a speedy and full recovery so that she can have a great season.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Junior Ladies SP A top 4: Amber Glenn 51.58, Isabella Dow 44.82, Selena Zhao 44.31, Bradie Tennell 43.55
    Junior Ladies SP B top 3: Ivana Perkucin (CAN) 42.75, Christina Yan (CAN) 38.86, Rachel Chang 38.39
    Junior Ladies SP C top 3: Morgan Flood 48.70, Madelyn Dunley (CAN) 42.90, Emy Decelles (CAN) 40.35
    Junior Ladies SP D top 4: Ashley Shin 49.93, Zoe Gong (CAN) 46.71, Julianne Seguin (CAN) 46.53, Chloe Ing (SIN) 40.73

Hope you enjoy watching the skating today, HeatherC!

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I'll have to check out the junior ladies free skate tomorrow - some good Canadian results.

I'm heading for Detroit now!

vCash
    The senior pairs event looks great. Will be interesting to see where some of the new teams stack up early in the season.

vCash
    QUITE the lineup in Sr pairs, if indeed everyone ended up competing. Any word on SP results from yesterday?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast