Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    i'm hoping katie ledecky will win the swimmer of the year award but i think missy will be winning it because she has more golds.. ledecky was fantastic in this year's worlds.. complete sweep of 400m, 1500m, and 800m.. she even beat muffat in 200m relay!!

vCash
    I am pretty sure Ledecky will win swimmer of the year. Typically they go by individual performances, not relays. The only time they didnt do that was last year when Phelps was given (gifted) Swimmer of the Year over Sun Yang, but that was mostly a retirement present for Phelps. Both have 3 golds from Worlds but Ledecky beat tough WRs in two of the races which gives her a clear edge. Has Franklin even bested a World record all year.

vCash
    That was sweet. Becky has been commentating for the BBC and has said since Ledecky totally smashed the 1500m WR earlier in the week that her 800m WR was going to go and she was really quite happy with that as she felt that 5 years was a good run for a WR and that the sport needs to move on. It was actually closer than I think many expected - Becky thought Ledecky could break 8:12 - but Ledecky has had a very full schedule so she may have been a tad more tired than she would usually be. Still 2 WR in a meet is good going for any swimmer.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    US DQ in 4x100.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    US DQ in 4x100.
    is right - the 1st handover was screwed up - they will be really po'ed!!!

vCash
    I'm probably going to get in a lot of trouble for saying this, but here goes: I'm no longer a fan of swimming, and I say that as a long-time Olympic fan. Why? These massive medal campaigns, that's why. Forgive me for being cynical, but ever since Michael Phelps won 14 Olympic golds at Athens and Beijing, it's now become commonplace for swimmers, mostly American, to attempt and win wheelbarrows full of World and Olympic medals in ond fell swoop. So commonplace that it's become... boring. And most of these athletes have no serious international competition willing to knock a medal or two or three out of their rivals' hands. It's gotten to the point where I'm excited to see someone who is not an American (or Chinese or Russian) win an Olympic or World title in any of the aquatics sports. For the life of me, I do not know what the point of all these table-running campaigns is. Is international competition in aquatics that shallow to the point where American swimmers (even the less ballyhooed ones) can, for lack of a better word, be greedy? I don't understand the point of Michael Phelps and Missy Franklin and Ryan Lochte setting and mostly succeeding on these exorbitant goals, which seem to be less about their talents and more about making the USOC and NBC Universal big bucks come Olympic time. When Mark Spitz won seven Olympic gold medals in Munich in 1972, that was a rarity. Now, it's seen as a failure if an American swimmer doesn't run the table. I don't even like watching aquatics sports anymore. It's practically a given that the Americans will clean up in swimming, the Chinese will clean up in diving, and the Russians will win every synchronized swimming gold medal just by showing up. I haven't even gone to the pool for a recreational swim in years. That's how disillusioned I've become. End rant.

vCash
    I found the long time dominance of Phelps incredibly boring, in part since he doesnt even seem like a nice or remotedly likeable person, making it hard to root for him. I admit I followed loess swimming during the Phelps era of 2003-2012 than any other, minus 2009-2011 when Lochte displaced him as the best in the World for awhile and made it more interesting by that alone. However I dont have a problem with swimmers trying to win as many golds or medals as they can, including Phelps. I prefer that to the times when wondering how some swimmers could do in various events if they just swam them at big events. Atleast now you always find out how well every swimmer can do in any event as they all swim as many as they can. If a swimmer ever comes along who could medal in all 13 individual Olympic events (aka someone even better than Phelps) you will probably see them swim all 13. The mentality is just changed now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDSSF View Post
    I'm probably going to get in a lot of trouble for saying this, but here goes: I'm no longer a fan of swimming, and I say that as a long-time Olympic fan. Why? These massive medal campaigns, that's why. Forgive me for being cynical, but ever since Michael Phelps won 14 Olympic golds at Athens and Beijing, it's now become commonplace for swimmers, mostly American, to attempt and win wheelbarrows full of World and Olympic medals in ond fell swoop. So commonplace that it's become... boring. And most of these athletes have no serious international competition willing to knock a medal or two or three out of their rivals' hands. It's gotten to the point where I'm excited to see someone who is not an American (or Chinese or Russian) win an Olympic or World title in any of the aquatics sports. For the life of me, I do not know what the point of all these table-running campaigns is. Is international competition in aquatics that shallow to the point where American swimmers (even the less ballyhooed ones) can, for lack of a better word, be greedy? I don't understand the point of Michael Phelps and Missy Franklin and Ryan Lochte setting and mostly succeeding on these exorbitant goals, which seem to be less about their talents and more about making the USOC and NBC Universal big bucks come Olympic time. When Mark Spitz won seven Olympic gold medals in Munich in 1972, that was a rarity. Now, it's seen as a failure if an American swimmer doesn't run the table. I don't even like watching aquatics sports anymore. It's practically a given that the Americans will clean up in swimming, the Chinese will clean up in diving, and the Russians will win every synchronized swimming gold medal just by showing up. I haven't even gone to the pool for a recreational swim in years. That's how disillusioned I've become. End rant.
    It's not really Phelps' or Lochte's or Franklin's fault that the Aussies are rebuilding or Thorpe burned out or the Russians only now are competitive again. If they want to train to the point that they need to eat 10,000 calories a day, more power to them

vCash
    dont follow much of swimming
    how did Australia fare in this Worlds, was it deemed a failure like in 2012 Olympics ?
    they didn't come 3rd in the ranking with a surprise Russia in 3rd, bad Worlds for Australia or Russia just got lucky ?
    no surprise at the top medal table lead by the US
    China in 2nd , they must have swept the diving

vCash
    Thorpe is in his 30s. He wouldnt be a big factor at this point even if he hadnt burned out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    It's not really Phelps' or Lochte's or Franklin's fault that the Aussies are rebuilding or Thorpe burned out or the Russians only now are competitive again. If they want to train to the point that they need to eat 10,000 calories a day, more power to them
    lol. you can't blame the US team for being dominant in swimming.

as for the DQ of the US team in men's relay.. i'm not really surprise. it happened in 2007 worlds when team usa was dq'ed in the prelims w/ ian crocker in the butterfly leg..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    dont follow much of swimming
    how did Australia fare in this Worlds, was it deemed a failure like in 2012 Olympics ?
    they didn't come 3rd in the ranking with a surprise Russia in 3rd, bad Worlds for Australia or Russia just got lucky ?
    no surprise at the top medal table lead by the US
    China in 2nd , they must have swept the diving
    Russia being 3rd was not a surprise. Australia had 14 medals overall, hardly a failure. Sure 11 (?) of them were silver, but silver is still better than bronze I didn't think any of the medals or the medal table was a surprise at all.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 08-05-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123