Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

People who abuse animals

I just took a dog who arrived at our doorstep with multiple burns & wounds to the SPCA. I can't say with certainty that it was my neighbor's dog, but I could swear I had seen this dog in their yard. These people have been reported for animal abuse, drug used, illegal fireworks, child abuse, but they, somehow, always end up being cleared. It kills me that I can't accuse them of anything, because in all honesty I am not sure this was the dog I saw in their backyard.

Ugh! I think I need to go for a walk.

vCash
    We took in a dog like that when I was a kid. It took 3 years before we could pet her without her cringing when she saw our hand coming towards her.

vCash
    I watch those animal cop shows. I am amazed how people can treat animals. What is even more amazing is that some of the dogs can receive terrible treatment but end up being loving pets who seem to recover so quickly and you never would believe what they have been through. Of course there are some that don't and unfortunately they just don't get a chance.

You did a very good thing. At least the dog now has a second chance.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    We took in a dog like that when I was a kid. It took 3 years before we could pet her without her cringing when she saw our hand coming towards her.
    We live in a semi-rural area, and not long ago we had a stray dog show up. He was kind of like your dog...cringed whenever you reached out a hand, whimpered all the time. Over the past few months he's calmed down...he no longer cringes, and seldom whimpers. He's a sweet young dog who just seems to want to be loved.

I agree that you did a very good thing, dots!

vCash
    The dog of friends of my parents was killed because some idiot hid rat poison, probably in pieces of meat, to kill dogs in the neighborhood. It's just sick!

vCash
    Interesting I'm seeing this topic today. I was driving home and on the radio it was announced that a man who had been charged with animal abuse was found guilty. He is no permitted to own an animal anymore, must pay restitution to the SPCA and there was another fine in there as well. I'm glad something is finally being done about these people who seem to think there's no consequences for their actions to animals.

We have no idea what happened to our dog as a puppy as we got him from the SPCA but he's terrified of garbage bags, even just to see one not even opened and he hates to be out of sight from you if you're in the house. The SPCA thinks he was left alone a lot and was likely put in a bag...makes me cry to think of someone treating my Carter that way but he's spoiled to pieces now thanks to hubby lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    The dog of friends of my parents was killed because some idiot hid rat poison, probably in pieces of meat, to kill dogs in the neighborhood. It's just sick!
    This is a very important point, because rat poison is extremely dangerous to dogs. Not only that, dogs will make a beeline for rat poison and wolf it down if any is within their reach.

In my neighborhood several years ago, I happened to see a stray dog eat one of those rat poison "bricks" that you can buy by the tubful at places like Orchard Supply. Knowing immediately that it was a crisis situation, I lured the dog to my home and into my backyard with a piece of bologna, and immediately called 9-1-1.

Animal Control came and picked up the dog, and brought it to a local vet. There, they induced vomiting in the dog, administered charcoal to absorb as much of the poison as possible, and administered an unusual B-Vitamin, B-14, I think.

Thankfully, the dog survived.

But a year later, by chance, I heard that the dog was suffering from pancreatitis, and had to be fed a special diet.

So rat poison can severely harm a dog even with prompt vet treatment.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    My family's first dog, we had for 13 years, and he still cringed slightly when you put a hand over his head. We adopted him from a shelter when he was about a year old - who knows what he experienced in that year that affected him the rest of his life.

Our cat, we got from a friend of my old roommate. I know he was often left alone by his owner and when he lived with my roommate and I, he often was relegated to sleeping on the couch in the living room because the other 2 cats had our beds. Now that he has Alf and I to himself, he's so spoiled, he won't even leave us alone in the bathroom!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    We live in a semi-rural area, and not long ago we had a stray dog show up. He was kind of like your dog...cringed whenever you reached out a hand, whimpered all the time. Over the past few months he's calmed down...he no longer cringes, and seldom whimpers. He's a sweet young dog who just seems to want to be loved.

I agree that you did a very good thing, dots!
    And kudos to you for helping your stray dog. When I got a former cat from a shelter, she was so nervous and alert, she never really slept soundly because she seemed to be constantly on guard. It made me so happy a few years later to see her sleeping soundly with cute little cat snores without a worry in the world. Those little snores were such a great reward.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I treat animals better than I treat people. To be honest, I like animals better than people.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickInSanJose View Post
    This is a very important point, because rat poison is extremely dangerous to dogs. Not only that, dogs will make a beeline for rat poison and wolf it down if any is within their reach.
    That's the thing, the point was to kill the dogs. It's happened before and people usually know that there's poisoned meat on the streets again. But word does take time to get around and even if you know, your dog might eat something that single second you're not looking. ... Like I said, it's just sick!

vCash
    My computer thought it should be posted twice, sorry.
    Last edited by ballettmaus; 07-20-2013 at 01:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I treat animals better than I treat people. To be honest, I like animals better than people.
    Wish there was a like button. Animals never judge, just love.

vCash
    My daughter just this week took in a puppy that someone dumped. He'd been turned out long enough that he was absolutely skin and bones and was covered with fleas. No ticks, thank goodness. He couldn't even eat at first. She's taken care of the fleas and is slowly nursing him back. He's still pretty frightened but making improvement. Since she already has three dogs and two cats, she's hoping to find a home for him, but she'll be very picky about it. He won't be healthy enough for a good while, but I wonder what effect being moved away from the only person who's ever shown him any kindness would have on him.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

People who abuse animals

When we were in Texas, my parents dog died. We suspect she got into poison but have no way to know.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    I just took a dog who arrived at our doorstep with multiple burns & wounds to the SPCA. I can't say with certainty that it was my neighbor's dog, but I could swear I had seen this dog in their yard. These people have been reported for animal abuse, drug used, illegal fireworks, child abuse, but they, somehow, always end up being cleared. It kills me that I can't accuse them of anything, because in all honesty I am not sure this was the dog I saw in their backyard.

Ugh! I think I need to go for a walk.
    Did you report it to the police as well?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    If the messages you post here are any indication, I've never known you to be anything less than big - hearted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    It kills me that I can't accuse them of anything, because in all honesty I am not sure this was the dog I saw in their backyard.
    You should contact the local Animal Control Department if there is one, and tell them what you know. They will investigate. If there isn't one, contact the Police Department.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Same here! I would rep you but I can't right now.

There was a story on my local news tonight where I heard the headline about a man hurting a kitten, but I just couldn't bear to watch the story so I don't know if he was punished. Wish the same to happen to him someday. I don't know how anyone could ever be so cruel to a poor little kitten.

vCash
    I like animals better than people.
    No dog ever lied to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast