• Kwan

73 44.79%
  • Chen

88 53.99%
  • Slutskaya

2 1.23%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Lulu's superior artistry should have secured her the win. That program was a Sandra Bezic masterpiece!!

vCash
    It was ironic Bezic went head to head with Nichol and Kwan with Chen and lost, yet did so again with Tara and won. Granted Tara being a superior technical skater to Chen by a large margin sure helped, but amazingly Chen was as far from Kwan in artistic scores a the 96 Worlds and Tara was from Kwan at the 98 Olympics.

vCash
    I thought Chen by far was winner of this event. I would give her 5.9 and 6.0. I would give Kwan 5.8 and 5.7. Slutskaya deserved 5.5 and 5.4 for her skate and should be nowhere near bronze. Butyrskaya 5.6 and 5.8, Szewcenko 5.5 and 5.7, and Bonaly 5.4 and 5.5. 8th was right for Kwiatkowski. Too old and ordinary even on a good day vs other top skaters.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I absolutely loved both of their performances. I think MK won in 96 for the same reasons that Tara won in Nagano: skate order and higher technical content.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Kwan's SP was clearly better though. Slutskaya nearly was 2nd in the SP over Chen. Chen was never a top SP skater so I wouldnt read too much into that. She never won a short program in her career, and was only top 3 in the short program at 3 of the 6 World or Olympic events she medalled in.
    Chen's Spring Breeze program was divine - every movement was perfect with the music.

vCash
    God, I'm so tired (and such an MK uber fan) that I voted for Michelle while I think Chen should have won that event.

Rach and Salome are both exquisitely choreographed. However, in terms of performance and quality that night, Lu Chen was superior in my opinion. As much as I love Michelle, the landings of her 1st 3toe and second 3 lutz weren't so good there. And even if Michelle had one more triple, Lu Chen did have a second 2 axel, right after her 3 salchow. So, did Michelle really have that much of a higher jump content? Then, from the camera angle I can't tell for sure if some of Chen's delayed jumps were under-rotated. They seemed fine to me.

If we include the SPs, Romanza, which is one of my fave SPs ever, was way above the rest of the field.

Overall, it could have gone either way. And even though I may not agree with the final results, I'm more than fine with Michelle winning her first world title with that performance.

vCash
    From where I sit Michelle's program was just magical. It had me on the edge of me seat from the moment it started. The pressure for her to make no mistakes was tremendous and as Dick said, for me "she gave up nothing." It was that skate that made me a fan of skating and a fan of Michelle's. She WAS Salome. I loved the music, the intricate choreography, and the story her skate/ costume and character told - it was more than skating it was theater as well - and I love that. While it may not have been her most complicated program it remains my favorite program of hers ever, for all the reasons I said. I did not know much about skating at the time, and the rest of the programs including Lu Chen's made little impact. Having gone back with more informed eyes later I can see how well she skated, but Michelle had it all that night and brought skating alive for me. I still long for programs that have a story and a costume - that tell a story like a ballet or theater - as ballet was my love through my early adolescence. I wish today's skaters would become characters and skate a story - it enlivens the experience for me. I so dread programs of today when skaters skate through the music, knocking off elements as most do today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    LOL, why is Slutskaya even an option at this championship? She was far below both Michelle and Lulu.

I don't agree with the claim by some that Lu Chen should have won this event. Kwan had better spins, spirals, and an extra triple advantage over Lu Chen. Granted, Kwan was not the best spinner in the world, but her spins put Chen's to shame. Didn't Lu Chen even botch her layback spin in the SP of this event; I seem to recall it traveling all over the place enough for Dick Button to comment on it, as well as her very lackluster leg position on it. It was a very weak spin for her. Plus, she had basically tanked the entire season leading up to Worlds due to all the pressures from her federation, losing Skate America to Kwan, losing the Trophee Lalique to Josee Chouinard after Lulu plummeted to 7th place in the SP. She also fell to 4th at the Champion Series Final, losing to all of Kwan, Slutskaya, and Chouinard. By the time Worlds rolled around, she had lost any momentum she may have had being the defending champion considering she had not defeated Kwan all season long.
    Well Kwan had a incredible season but she was overscored at one of her GPs against Butyrskaya who skated better. She also fell herself in the GP final in the SP, and had errors in her LP and some errors at Nats that year too in the LP so she was far from perfect. Kwan almost always managed to peak for Nats/ worlds/Olympics though, same as Chen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mustafinabars View Post
    I thought Chen by far was winner of this event. I would give her 5.9 and 6.0. I would give Kwan 5.8 and 5.7.
    I love Chen's program so much my posting name is derived from this program (and M/D's LP in Lillehammer)

Chen undoubtedly had the regal skate of a champion; one of very few programs that brought tears to my eyes.

Sadly though I'd have Michelle on top. The extra triple, better spins and non-jump content wins. Lulu's spins were HOR-RI-BLE. Few rotations, 3 of the 4 spins were 1 position and 'maybe' 5 rotations. Combo spin was wobbly. Completely inexcusable. If I factor emotion out of it I have Chen as 5.7/6.0. Michelle is 5.9/5.9.

Now if you want to have a really fun poll, has anyone discussed 1997 worlds? Slutskaya's skate completely disrupted the placements -- or had potential to. I never did sit down and figure out if I agreed with the results. All I can say is that I liked Irina's skate.

vCash
    I think an argument for Slutskaya placing second in the LP over Lipinski is good. I would have had Gusmeroli off the podium, when factoring in Sp's Bute may have edged Slute if she had beaten Gusmeroli in the LP.

vCash
    IMO, either Chen or Kwan could have won the title, and the result would have been fair. 1996 Worlds is my favorite ladies' competition of all-time. I would kill to have two skaters today with the complexity and choreographic nuance that both Lulu and Michelle displayed in that competition.

vCash
    I voted for Kwan (and I never vote for Kwan), because of the quality of her spins and spirals. And that last 3toe was gutsy. Chen's program was beautiful, but Michelle's was also a terrific program (one of my favorites from her) and had more bite, IMO.
    Last edited by skateboy; 07-20-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I voted for Kwan (and I never vote for Kwan), because of the quality of her spins and spirals. And that last 3toe was gutsy. Chen's program was beautiful, but Michelle's was also a terrific program (one of my favorites from her) and had more bite, IMO.

Chen's program was more sophisticated and skated with more maturity so I would have given her the win based on the 2nd mark.
    It wasn't a highway robbery though since Kwan had the better spins and one more triple (even though that one triple toe vs. Chen's double axel should not have made the difference).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha is DIVINE View Post
    Lulu's superior artistry should have secured her the win. That program was a Sandra Bezic masterpiece!!
    The second mark was not an artistic mark, but a presentation mark. And in term of presentation, I think Michelle Kwan's performance was also amazing. She really delivered a strong performance, with a complex choreo and a good expression. That's why it's normal absurd that Michelle won even on the second mark.
    Of course, Lu Chen's artistry, especially in that program and performance, was really touching, elegant, graceful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    I think I would have given Chen 5.8 or 5.9 for technical and 6.0 for presentation. Kwan 5.9 for both.

Butyrskaya also probably should have won the bronze over Slutskaya at that event. Szewcenko and Kwiatkowski should have finished higher than Slutskaya too.
    ITA re: the bronze medal.

vCash
    I also think that at the time, Kwan's Salome was something really different and not really seen before. Yes, we had "exotic" themed programs in the past, but Kwan's routine was almost cutting-edge in a way. I don't think there was a program like it before from the ladies. Lori Nichol's choreography and type of movement was still new and there was something that seemed deep and almost soulful with the actual movement and blade work. Also, Kwan's "transformation" really was a marketing success story.

As beautiful and close to perfection Lu Chen's choreography and interpretation was, we had seen lyrical pieces like that before. I go back and forth between Kwan and Chen, but I think Kwan's freshness really sold that routine on the presentation mark.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    ... of course kwawn'll win this poll, as usual , not because it has anything to do with reality, more only because the majority of posters here are kwawn's ardent countrymen, still a great result for LuLu ... ...
    Last edited by Zokko!; 07-20-2013 at 11:31 PM.

vCash
    Lu Chen's Rach at the 96 Worlds was a beautiful masterpiece and it was the best performance of her career. That said, Kwan's Salome at those championships was one of those once in a lifetime performances and in my opinion is still one of the iconic programs of figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post
    ... of course kwawn'll win this poll, as usual , not because it has anything to do with reality, more only because the majority of posters here are kwawn's ardent countrymen, still a great result for LuLu ... ...
    Well, the reality is that Kwan won Worlds. So if someone is not acknowledging reality...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post

"KWAN'S ARDENT COUNTRYMEN." I like the sound of that. I think I'll have a T-shirt made with that slogan. That or a button like those "Thank You Michelle" buttons.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast