View Poll Results: Chan will end up...

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • not competing as an amateur again

24 46.15%
  • coming back for 2015 nationals and worlds, not winning another big title

6 11.54%
  • coming back starting at 2015 nationals and worlds, winning another world title, but not an Oly gold

8 15.38%
  • coming back or 2015 worlds, and going on to win the 2018 Olympic gold

2 3.85%
  • coming back in 2016/2017, not winning another major title

4 7.69%
  • coming back in 2016/2017, winning another worlds but not an Oly gold

3 5.77%
  • coming back in 2016/2017, winning the 2018 Oly gold

2 3.85%
  • coming back just for 2018, but not winning the 2018 Oly gold

3 5.77%
  • coming back just for 2018, and winning the 2018 Oly gold

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What does Chan's future in skating hold

There is alot of talk right now what Chan will end up doing. Will he come back for the 2015 Nationals and worlds. Will he come back in 2016. Will he come back sometime closer to 2018 just for another try at Olympic gold. Or is he done in amateur competition. Also how will he do if he does come back, and would he even have a realistic shot at gold at age 27. What does your crystal ball read for Chan's future in skating at this point.

vCash
    I like to think that he'll be back one more time then retire. Another world title / medal is still within his reach, its just a matter of motivation to get back on the ice and practice/compete.

But yeah....the chance for an OGM is gone.

vCash
    I doubt he will compete again. In my dream scenario he would come back just for the Olympics though and win. I could go without years of his overscoring and winning events with 5 or 6 falls over guys who skate cleanly, and wont miss that part of him at all. However he is probably Canada's last real shot of an Olympic mens gold in who knows how long, so would like to see him have a shock out of the blue return and get it for our country. Wouldnt feel for Hanyu as he already has one, and I am not sure I want to see him do something the likes of Plushenko and Yagudin couldnt achieve anyway. Would love to see Fernandez win in 2018, but not sure how realistic that is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I doubt he will compete again. In my dream scenario he would come back just for the Olympics though and win.
    I would say that it definitely a dream scenario. Patrick had a legitimate shot at Olympic Gold and basically blew it, because he freaked out (IMO). His Olympic experience in 2010 was pretty abysmal, as well. I think it helped set him up to fail in 2014.

The 'Canada has never won Olympic gold in Men's' rhetoric didn't help either.

I adore Patrick, but he isn't a pressure skater and I don't think he likes to compete. Consistency has always been an issue for him and I don't see that changing, as he is likely past his peak.

vCash
    I doubt he will compete again. In my dream scenario he would come back just for the Olympics though and win. I could go without years of his overscoring and winning events with 5 or 6 falls over guys who skate cleanly, and wont miss that part of him at all. However he is probably Canada's last real shot of an Olympic mens gold in who knows how long, so would like to see him have a shock out of the blue return and get it for our country.
    If a Canadian man wins an Olympic gold, dollars to donuts he goes into the games as an underdog and has a totally unexpected win. It will be someone that is not under the media or Skate Canada's presure to break the curse.

I agree with Japanfan, and I don't think that Patrick enjoys competing, but perhaps sometime away might put some fire in him.

vCash
    I hope Patrick comes back for at least a year and gets his Canadian & World title again. Selfishly, I hope it's this year because I have tickets to Canadians in Kingston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    I hope Patrick comes back for at least a year and gets his Canadian & World title again. Selfishly, I hope it's this year because I have tickets to Canadians in Kingston.
    Here, here!!!....me too. I just want to see him skate again and watch him practice too. He's still young enough to win more championships for sure.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Stick a fork in him. He is done.

vCash
    I think he'll sit out this season but come back in 2016, win another World title (maybe not by a landslide), but then decide not to go until 2018.

vCash
    If he even returns I wouldn't predict another world title. Not that I see it as impossible, or would be that surprised if he did, but somewhat on the unlikely side. He is starting to lose to Hanyu now, so how is he likely to beat him years down the road when Hanyu is likely a lot better, and Chan is just older. Fernandez should get better too, Ten if he can finally stay healthy and show some semblance of consistency too, and then there are the up and comers who aren't that established yet but atleast 1 or 2 should be up there at some point this quad.

I also think it is unlikely he will return at all. Although that too I wouldn't be that surprised with either, just not predicting it.

vCash
    He is starting to lose to Hanyu now, so how is he likely to beat him years down the road when Hanyu is likely a lot better, and Chan is just older. Fernandez should get better too, Ten if he can finally stay healthy and show some semblance of consistency too, and then there are the up and comers who aren't that established yet but atleast 1 or 2 should be up there at some point this quad.
    Hanyu could be set back by injury or have to take time off. That said, I still don't know that Chan could reclaim the title.

Don't know whether either Fernadez or Ten will improve, either.

Machida is my favourite at the moment, those he's older. But I'd like to see him have one great season and win a title. I like Nan Song, as well.

There some room for new guys to vie for position at the top. Just hope it isn't Nam Nguyen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Hanyu could be set back by injury or have to take time off. That said, I still don't know that Chan could reclaim the title.

Don't know whether either Fernadez or Ten will improve, either.

Machida is my favourite at the moment, those he's older. But I'd like to see him have one great season and win a title. I like Nan Song, as well.

There some room for new guys to vie for position at the top. Just hope it isn't Nam Nguyen.
    I am a big fan of Fernandez and will be very disappointed if he doesn't improve. I would like to see him be the one to really give Hanyu a run for his money and win a world title at some point and medal in 2018. That said he isn't exactly that young anymore, so who knows. I have heard he is a bit of a party boy too and doesn't have the work ethic of people like Hanyu and Chan.

Ten is so inconsistent and unpredictable, I don't know what to make of him going forward. Plus he is very injured proned. He wont get more respect from the judges unless he gets more consistent and builts a better rep for himself, that is why he so controversially lost the 2013 worlds. And he wont get as lucky as he got in 2013 and 2014 with everyone having meltdowns at the biggest event to let him medal with his out of the blue strong performance.

I don't think Machida even plans on going much longer, but if he keeps having success he might change his mind.

I like Song but would like him to improve his artistry more.

I am not a fan of Nguyen at all, and even being Canadian is probably not even to have me cheer for him. I would live with him winning the 2018 Olymipcs in a huge upset as long as he doesn't come top 5 at any other world event though ever, lol! I do want Canada to win the Olympic mens gold somehow, no matter how unlikely that is, and even if it isn't someone I am a fan of. I want us to be the 2nd country to win golds in each discipline in skating, after Russia who is obviously the appropriate first to do it as hands down the greatest overall figure skating nation in history.

vCash
    It is interesting to look at the poll results so far. 13 of 27 don't have him returning at all (I actually think the odds he doesn't return is more like 70% than 50%). 6 of 27 have him coming back but not winning anything big again, so 19 of 27 have him not winning another major title. 5 of 27 have him winning another worlds, but not an Olympics. Then 3 of 27 have him winning the 2018 Olympic Gold. I think those odds are generous all around, I would give more like:

70%- not returning
    25% of winning atleast a world title if he returns, so 7.5% chance of winning another big title
    10% of winning the next Olympic gold if he returns at some point, so 3% chance of winning the 2018 Olympic gold (and that isn't my dislike for him since as I said I would like to see him or any Canadian win the 2018 OGM, and just get that over with for us finally)

vCash
    I am only dissapointed that he decided to move away in moment when we could get epic battles between him and Yuzuru and maybe Javier. Unless Yuzur totally bomb in competition only Javier have any chance to fight with him as equal rival.

Hard to say if he will be back. I think that he will back for sure for nationals, but next season or 2016 ? I don't know. Olympic gold I think is out of his reach in 2018 as he will be quite old and I think skaters like Yuzuru and other youngsters will be jumping other quads in competition propably, but for sure he can be contender for a medal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by handomi View Post
    I am only dissapointed that he decided to move away in moment when we could get epic battles between him and Yuzuru and maybe Javier. Unless Yuzur totally bomb in competition only Javier have any chance to fight with him as equal rival.
    When push comes to shove, Chan often becomes a wilting flower, rather than an epic battler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    When push comes to shove, Chan often becomes a wilting flower, rather than an epic battler.
    The judges are largely to fault. When he was winning or almost winning events in 2010-2011 with 4 falls, and sometimes some other deductions/built in mistakes (eg- 2010 Skate Canada, 2010 Cup of Russia, LP of 2011 grand prix final, 2013 worlds) over guys who skated very well, it doesn't exactly arouse your fighting spirit. The judges simply made it too easy for Chan to win over the years, and didn't give him a chance to even try and be a fighter.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Patrick, I think, will become a cautionary tale of being seduced by one's own pride. I cringe when I think of that dance person telling Patrick how proud she was of him in the Kiss and Cry when he underperformed, and she was just using him so she could add Olympic coach to her resume ... then there is her daughter.

The whole thing makes me sick. He should be Olympics Champion, not another Canadian Olympic Silver Medalist and the only Canadian douchebag I can think of.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 07-19-2014 at 11:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Patrick, I think, will become a cautionary tale of being seduced by one's own pride. I cringe when I think of that dance person telling Patrick how proud she was of him when he under performanced and she was just using him so she could add Olympic coach to her resume ... then there is her daughter.
    Did Kelly Johnson actually tell Patrick herself she was using him to add Olympic coach to her resume? Or are you stating your opinion/perspective on things. Just wanted to clarify that.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Did Kelly Johnson actually tell Patrick herself she was using him to add Olympic coach to her resume? Or are you stating your opinion/perspective on things. Just wanted to clarify that.
    This is completely my opinion. She had to have known she had no business being a "coach" to an Olympic caliber athlete. The Olympics is not like art; there are winners and losers.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 07-19-2014 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E49QK_Fto5M

Just listen to Krall in the Kiss and Cry crediting his success to hard work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast