Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Skaters/Teams That Have Consecutively Placed Top 10 At Worlds Eleven Or More Times

I was just checking out on Wikipedia about Brian Joubert's competitive highlights and noticed that the last 11 of his 12 Worlds appearance were ALL in the top 10. Wondering which other skaters/teams you know of who have also been this consistent? Some random checks of Wikipedia for others:

Pang and Tong - 13 (their first two trip to worlds were 15th then 14th)
    Michelle Kwan - 12 consecutive top 10 World placements (only the first was outside of the top five and nine of the other eleven were podium placements)

And from a totally different era:

Sonja Henie - 11 consecutive worlds, 10 of those gold

(Irina Rodnina failed at matching Joubert's accomplishments. She only made it to ten world championships. However, some of her placements were higher than some of Joubert's. )
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    How many skaters/teams have even competed that long AND made their country's world team that many times? That is an accomplishment in itself.

Salchow won 10 world titles and also got silver twice. (To be fair, in two of those years there were only two competitors.) There were other competitors way back then who did very well and competed seemingly forever. But I'm assuming you're speaking of more recent skaters.

(Checking Wikipedia) Not even Plushenko or Slutskaya competed 10 times at worlds. Eldredge? Nope. Michael Weiss? Nope. Katarina Witt? "only" 9 trips (all top 10). Julia Sebestyen went to 12 worlds but had only 3 top-10 finishes. Even the Protopopovs were at worlds "only" 10 times (9 top-10 finishes) and I think of them as having such longevity!

(And sure, PeterG, you were checking out Joubert's "highlights.")
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Wikipedia says Liashenko placed top ten at worlds nine times, but it doesn't say how many times she went. I remember her from 1995, did she also go in 94? Four time Olympian, that's something also!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    (Checking Wikipedia) Not even Plushenko or Slutskaya competed 10 times at worlds. Eldredge? Nope. Michael Weiss? Nope. Katarina Witt? "only" 9 trips (all top 10). Julia Sebestyen went to 12 worlds but had only 3 top-10 finishes. Even the Protopopovs were at worlds "only" 10 times (9 top-10 finishes) and I think of them as having such longevity!
    (also checking Wikipedia) Jan Hoffmann made the top ten at Worlds ten times, but not consecutively.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    But I'm assuming you're speaking of more recent skaters.
    Yes, exactly:

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sonja Henie - 11 consecutive worlds, 10 of those gold

Salchow won 10 world titles and also got silver twice. (To be fair, in two of those years there were only two competitors.) There were other competitors way back then who did very well and competed seemingly forever. But I'm assuming you're speaking of more recent skaters.
    FAIL. He failed in even making it to Worlds in both '98 and '06. What a loser.

FAIL. FAIL. FAIL. I did a few checks of wikpedia back to 1997. Checked everybody you mentioned except for Witt. And Liashenko. Elena's third trip to Worlds resulted in a 12th place finish, and in '04 she was 11th, so both those results took her out of the running (not to mention she didn't even make it to Worlds in '97).

If I was feeling naughty, I would have gone to google images instead of Wikipedia!

vCash
    What about Shez & Zhao? They were competing from 98 (earlier?) to 2010.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    What about Shez & Zhao? They were competing from 98 (earlier?) to 2010.
    Even if they hadn't withdrawn in '05 and skipped '06, that still would have given them ten Top 10 worlds placements. (In '97 they were 11th and '96 in 15th.)

Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    (also checking Wikipedia) Jan Hoffmann made the top ten at Worlds ten times, but not consecutively.
    That would make for a FAIL-ing dance!!!

vCash
    That would make for a FAIL-ing dance!!!
    Well, as a teacher once explained to me in elementary school, it's better for one's overall grade to have a 50% F to add to the other scores than a 0% one.

vCash
    FAIL. FAIL. FAIL. I did a few checks of wikpedia back to 1997. Checked everybody you mentioned except for Witt. And Liashenko. Elena's third trip to Worlds resulted in a 12th place finish, and in '04 she was 11th, so both those results took her out of the running (not to mention she didn't even make it to Worlds in '97).
    Forgot Freakin' Liashenko! Did not even think to check. Who else was around forever? Glebova? Not a top 10 skater, though.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    The ice dancing team of Danielle Carr (later McGrath) and Stephen Carr made the top 16 at Worlds fourteen times in a row.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    The ice dancing team of Danielle Carr (later McGrath) and Stephen Carr made the top 16 at Worlds fourteen times in a row.
    Check out their Australian Championships record....

vCash
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    If I was feeling naughty, I would have gone to google images instead of Wikipedia!
    Out of the kindness of my heart, here, have some more highlights (apparently taken from this performance on the Italian summer tour).

Joubert's competitive consistency, especially when he was younger, was pretty amazing - especially his record at Euros, but Worlds too.

Carolina Kostner has been to 11 straight Worlds, but finished outside the top ten twice during that span (12th both times).

Banned Member
    vCash
    This was a very low-level pair team, not dance.

vCash
    Stephen Carr also competed in singles in the 1994 Olympics. At one point I found a site with the Australian champions, including lower levels, going way back and counted up his total number of titles combining Singles and Pairs and it was even more crazy.

vCash
    Checked skatabase.com and the following skaters placed in top 10 11 or more times at Worlds *more if you included Olympics, but I didn't. They are:

U. Salchow
    E. Stojko
    B. Joubert
    S. Henie
    M. Kwan
    Pang/ Tong
    Peggy Schwarz (with Koenig and Muller), Maria Petrova (with Sikharulidze and Tikhonov) (ok, 10 times, but impressive)
    Zagorska/ Siudek (also 10 times, but again, impressive)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    This was a very low-level pair team, not dance.
    Thanks for the correction.

vCash
    I was just checking out on Wikipedia about Brian Joubert's competitive highlights and noticed that the last 11 of his 12 Worlds appearance were ALL in the top 10. Wondering which other skaters/teams you know of who have also been this consistent?
    Wow, TOP TEN and HOT!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I forgot to list Lloyd Eisler, who was in top 10 11 times at Worlds with 3 different partners (82-94)

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Forgot Freakin' Liashenko! Did not even think to check. Who else was around forever? Glebova? Not a top 10 skater, though.
    Actually, Elena hasn't retired. She's still setting up for a triple lutz she started in 2005.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast