Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Age old question. Why do bad things happen to good, innocent people? That's part of the reason I'm areligious.
    I'm not religious, but I believe in a God that acts through people. It's so easy to destroy and so difficult to build (and rebuild), especially for a being that is so aware of time, that I feel a higher power must have given us the ability to be kind. God does not physically make things happen - we make things happen, and we have the ability to decide to do good or evil.

Of course, the scientist in me figures that we are so physically useless individually, that of course humankind evolved to be social and work together to survive, but there it is.

But yeah, even I have no answer for death that occurs through pure accident or negligence, even if it's so that I want it to be criminally stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I don't know how you came to that conclusion (at least based on what we know now), but I'm sure they'll track her down.
    Why would anyone buy used containers of a toxic chemical to put cooking oil in other than they were cheap? Even if the the person who put the oil in the container couldn't read the labels I'm assuming a school principal could. To me it shows a tremendous lack of concern for the students so I don't think she was saving money to spend on them.

The article I read also stated that one of the cooks told the principal the oil looked funny, but she insisted they use it. If it was a legitimate purchase why did she flee?
    Last edited by aliceanne; 07-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Why would anyone buy used containers of a toxic chemical to put cooking oil in other than they were cheap? Even if the the person who put the oil in the container couldn't read the labels I'm assuming a school principal could. To me it shows a tremendous lack of concern for the students so I don't think she was saving money to spend on them.

The article I read also stated that one of the cooks told the principal the oil looked funny, but she insisted they use it. If it was a legitimate purchase why did she flee?
    I never said she didn't bear some (most?) of the responsibility. I think she fled because she's scared and knows she's culpable because, at the very least, she is/was the principal but believe she'll be found.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Why would anyone buy used containers of a toxic chemical to put cooking oil in other than they were cheap? Even if the the person who put the oil in the container couldn't read the labels I'm assuming a school principal could.
    Depending on the school, not necessarily.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 35s
    A week after the Indian school poisoning that killed 23, police are still searching for the school's headmistress http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/23/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

vCash
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia...48#TWEET832699

24 July 2013 Last updated at 09:35 ET

India deadly meal: Head teacher Meena Devi arrested

Excerpt:

Police in India have arrested the head teacher of a school where 23 children died after eating food contaminated with insecticide last week.

Meena Kumari had been sought since the tragedy in eastern Bihar state. She handed herself in on Wednesday.

Police believe she can help explain how the deadly insecticide monocrotophos ended up in the free school lunch.

In all, 47 primary school children fell ill after consuming the meal of rice and soybeans.

The Mid-Day meal scheme, introduced to combat hunger and boost school attendance, provides free food for 120 million children in 1.2 million schools across India.

It often suffers from poor hygiene, and poisoning outbreaks occur from time to time, although rarely if ever with such deadly results.

All of the teachers in Bihar's state-run primary schools have vowed not to participate in the scheme from Friday.

"Teachers and the headmasters have to manage the scheme with little help, low-quality food and corruption at every level," said B Sharma, head of the primary school teachers' association.

"But when such an incident happens, a teacher or the principal is held responsible."

vCash
    Thank god they finally found her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Thank god they finally found her!
    Sadly, she may end up being a scapegoat. No one (teachers, principals etc.) wants to participate in the programme now, because they fear if anything goes wrong again, they will be blamed. This is in no way a good thing. I highly doubt the principal had anything to do with it, but I think she will be blamed regardless.

vCash
    Twitter:

BBC News (World) ‏@BBCWorld 1h
    Indian teachers boycott free school lunches in protest at arrest of head teacher where children died of poisoning http://bbc.in/1dZNzbM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12