Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

23 children killed in Indian school feeding program...

Apparently the food was tainted by some commonly used pesticides. The dead toll in now 23 with many sick in hospital. The government of India has an extensive poverty alleviation program but it is dogged by allegations of corrupt and waste. The school feeding program is part of that program. Hope they find who is responsible and prayers to the victims and their families.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23337445

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I saw this on a news feed this morning and was shocked there hasn't been more coverage. How very, very horrible for the community. May the children RIP and the families find peace.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    This is awful . Hopefully better quality and safety testing will end up being put in place as a result, even though the article didn't make that sound very likely.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    How very sad. So often it's the innocent who suffer most.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I've been reading about this story...so sad, so tragic...those poor children...those poor families!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Who poisons children?!?!?!

Sure there's corruption and waste, but insecticide doesn't usually find itself in human food when you're not looking. It isn't even a nutrition booster, like the Chinese used melamine for. It's POISON. Just WTF.

vCash
    It's such a horrible situation. One of the cooks lost two of her children. I can't even imagine.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...secticide.html

Manju Devi, 30, ate some of the food and fainted. Her three children, ages 5, 8 and 13, fell ill as well. All were in stable condition Thursday.

While Pano Devi, 35, didn't eat the tainted food, her three children did. Two of them died and the third, a four-year-old daughter, was in the hospital.

vCash
    Unbelievably sad.

vCash
    Apologies...this story was about a different incident in Pakistan, not the one in India.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.

vCash

23 children killed in Indian school feeding program...

very sad, hope those sickened make full recoveries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Not just sad...apparently criminal:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pakis...-death-22-feud

PAKISTANI ACCUSED OF POISONING TO DEATH 22 IN FEUD
    By ZAHEER BABAR
    — Jul. 19 2:03 AM EDT

Excerpt:
    Isn't that a different incident? This was in Pakistan, at someone's home; the other was in a school in India.

But both are unbelievably sad and horrible.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Isn't that a different incident? This was in Pakistan, at someone's home; the other was in a school in India.

But both are unbelievably sad and horrible.
    You're correct (thanks for catching that error)....that's what I get for posting at nearly 1:30 AM...apologies. Two separate, but equally horrible incidents.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    You're correct (thanks for catching that error)....that's what I get for posting at nearly 1:30 AM...apologies. Two separate, but equally horrible incidents.
    Yes they are. Both are horrifying and sad.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2...288442457.html

contaminated cooking oil (stored in a container previously used for insecticides) is suspected they haven't ruled out a deliberate poisoning, but it looks more like unbelievable negligence
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

contaminated cooking oil (stored in a container previously used for insecticides) is suspected they haven't ruled out a deliberate poisoning, but it looks more like unbelievable negligence
    That makes more sense than the Yahoo story. That stated that a bottle of insecticide was found next to the cooking oil - but no explanation why it was there. If they were using empty insecticide bottles to store the cooking oil and the insecticide had been in a concentrated form meant to be mixed or diluted - that would be highly toxic.

It also stated that the principal of the school kept the food supplies at her house and fled when the news of the sick children reached her. She must have been buying adulterated food cheap and keeping the rest of the money for herself.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    It also stated that the principal of the school kept the food supplies at her house and fled when the news of the sick children reached her. She must have been buying adulterated food cheap and keeping the rest of the money for herself.
    I don't know how you came to that conclusion (at least based on what we know now), but I'm sure they'll track her down.
    3539 and counting.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

Just...ugh why.

At work, I save empty bottles of chemicals to collect small plastic waste, but we only use it for waste. We don't even reuse it for other chemicals. And of course we're not eating/drinking from it.

Just....ugh.

vCash
    I've been attending a local church for the last several months. What the pastor says, and what I read in the Bible, sound wonderful and inspiring. Unfortunately, I find that it all seems to fall apart in the face of reality. For me personally, this is particularly the case when I hear about innocent children dying -- whether it's those poisoned children in India; or the three young Chinese girls killed in the plane crash at San Francisco Airport (one of whom survived, only to be run over and killed by a fire engine); or that beautiful two-year-old girl who had a new esophagus constructed out of stem cells, only to later die of lung failure. What did those perfectly innocent children do to deserve such horrible and premature deaths? Absolutely nothing. "Crisis in Faith" are the operative words here for me.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Age old question. Why do bad things happen to good, innocent people? That's part of the reason I'm areligious.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I understand how you feel, RickInSanJose, believe me. Sometimes it's hard for me to hold on to my faith too.

You know, though, when you really delve into the Bible, it's not ALL wonderful and inspiring. Horrible things happen there too. It's not just a record of sweetness and light -- it shows great evil being done, and then goodness breaking through and transcending evil. I mean, the central event is the murder of God Himself. After He'd spent all that time teaching and healing and loving people. It doesn't get any more evil than that! And then, when everything seemed lost, there's the resurrection of God from the dead.

I hope that helps you a little. It helps me when I'm feeling shaken.

(May I suggest reading some of Dorothy L. Sayers's theological works, if you can get hold of them? The Man Born to Be King is the best, but there are some good essay collections as well. She was a devout Christian -- and there've been few other modern writers who were more honest and realistic about the brutal reality of evil.)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . .
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast