Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Marai would need a Paul Wylie experience. Plus, under-rotation has been noted enough times, that I think judges concentrate on that with her.
    At the Olympics the tech callers tend be more lenient. I don't think she'll get called so many times unless it's painfully obvious--poor landings or obviously more than a quarter short.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Mirai would have to earn a ticket to the Olympics first, at US Nationals. That is a long shot.
    Is it? She's been in a slump for a long time, so it will be an uphill battle for her. But I hedge at labeling Wagner and Gold the new Kwan and Cohen just because of one halfway decent worlds outing. US ladies have been one long trainwreck since Torino and I don't think this year is any different. Those 3 spots could go to anybody IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    But I hedge at labeling Wagner and Gold the new Kwan and Cohen just because of one halfway decent worlds outing. US ladies have been one long trainwreck since Torino and I don't think this year is any different. Those 3 spots could go to anybody IMO.
    I second that.

vCash
    Mirai is skating at The Ice in Japan this weekend and if she debuts her programs, we should be able to get a better sense for her chances of making the team

vCash
    She is also skating Glacier Falls next week, along with Zhang, Hicks, and Keiser.

vCash
    It doesn't seem likely at this point that she'll even make the team, let alone medal/win, but I for one would LOVE to see her have a fantastic season, make the team, and make a splash (if not earn a medal) at the Olympics and/or worlds.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    It doesn't seem likely at this point that she'll even make the team, let alone medal/win, but I for one would LOVE to see her have a fantastic season, make the team, and make a splash (if not earn a medal) at the Olympics and/or worlds.
    I do think this would be the best scenario for her. I honestly can't see her winning a medal in Sochi but I do think it's very possible for her to have a strong season, turn in great performances at nationals and earn that 3rd spot on the team. She'd be the only active lady to have earned a trip to the Olympics twice. Being a two-time Olympian is a great accomplishment in itself.

vCash
    Is it? She's been in a slump for a long time, so it will be an uphill battle for her. But I hedge at labeling Wagner and Gold the new Kwan and Cohen just because of one halfway decent worlds outing. US ladies have been one long trainwreck since Torino and I don't think this year is any different. Those 3 spots could go to anybody IMO.
    Wagner and Gold are a lock for the team. It doesnt mean they are the next Cohen and Kwan, it just means they are the two best current Americans and by far have the most momentum and favor with the USFSA. Two skater likely to come mid top 10 have a huge edge over a bunch of women (Nagasu included) who could come 10th to 12th if they skate well, and can easily do alot worse than that if they dont.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wristflick View Post
    Wagner and Gold are a lock for the team. It doesnt mean they are the next Cohen and Kwan, it just means they are the two best current Americans and by far have the most momentum and favor with the USFSA. Two skater likely to come mid top 10 have a huge edge over a bunch of women (Nagasu included) who could come 10th to 12th if they skate well, and can easily do alot worse than that if they dont.
    I agree with everything you say BUT you have to remember we're going off of last season's results. The hope is that Ashley and Gracie maintain or improve their skating from last season...but there's no guarantee that that will happen. What if they have weak GP seasons and bomb at nationals? Then what happens? It's not likely to happen but it is not impossible.

Those two have the best shot at those spots but no one's name is etched in stone right now. They'll have to earn that trip to Sochi. If they end up imploding and someone else steps up and steals the show, their reserved spot could go to someone else...

vCash
    I think the best case scenario for Nagasu at this point is to have a strong season, maybe earn an Olympic berth, build up some hype and try to regain momentum for the next quad. She wouldn't be the first ladies skater to rebuild after some disastrous seasons. I highly doubt she can medal or win the Olympics but stranger things have happened. I mean who thought Paul Wylie or Liz Manley would win their OSMs?

vCash
    A skater who comes 5th or 6th is actually similar to Kwan or Cohen in one sense as that is probably all Kwan and Cohen would be able to manage vs the current field under COP. Kwan is not a COP skater and people like Kim, Asada, Ando, and Kostner would crush her under COP unless they bombed. Cohen was a COP skater but her weak and inconsistent competition jumping would bury her vs such girls. Lower base value of jumps + lower GOE even on her clean jumps + several missed jumps per competition would be too much to overcome vs the people I mentioned, even with all her other amazing qualities which could probably outscore all those others except Kim and Kostner in a few non jump places.

vCash
    Wagner has been skating for year sand proven her inconsistency. Gold is new and unproven. Neither has anything close to the proven consistency that Kwan and Cohen displayed during their primes.

vCash
    Yeah Cohen was consistent all right. Consistent falling on her touche each and every competition and blowing chances for gold medals or sometimes any medal. Yeah I know she atleast had those chances which Wagner probably never will, and Gold wont for a few years, but that just shows she was a better skater in many ways, but for consistency she is the last one to model other than a consistent faller.

vCash
    Wagner has been skating for year sand proven her inconsistency. Gold is new and unproven. Neither has anything close to the proven consistency that Kwan and Cohen displayed during their primes.
    True---but Gold is not in her prime yet, so it's not fair to compare her to skaters in their top years. Gracie does compare fairly well to Cohen in her earlier years, where Sasha's jump inconsistency kept her from achieving her goals. Sasha didn't medal at JW, didn't medal in her first GP season, and didn't medal at Worlds until her 3rd appearance there. Gracie's actually done a tad better: she won JW silver, and took silver at her 2nd GP event.

vCash
    Sasha was one of the most consistent skaters of her era. Sure, she consistently fell once or twice per LP, but she was almost always on the podium. Who was more consistent? Shiz? Caro? Fumie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    True---but Gold is not in her prime yet, so it's not fair to compare her to skaters in their top years. Gracie does compare fairly well to Cohen in her earlier years, where Sasha's jump inconsistency kept her from achieving her goals. Sasha didn't medal at JW, didn't medal in her first GP season, and didn't medal at Worlds until her 3rd appearance there. Gracie's actually done a tad better: she won JW silver, and took silver at her 2nd GP event.
    Gold has a great shot to be a multi World Champion. She is already the best skater of her age group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Yeah Cohen was consistent all right. Consistent falling on her touche each and every competition and blowing chances for gold medals or sometimes any medal. Yeah I know she atleast had those chances which Wagner probably never will, and Gold wont for a few years, but that just shows she was a better skater in many ways, but for consistency she is the last one to model other than a consistent faller.
    Sasha was consistently a gold medal contender every time she skated and was pretty much a podium lock. She consistently skated well enough to land on the podium between 2004-2006. She also consistently had a fall in her program so idk why you are saying she was not consistent?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Gold has a great shot to be a multi World Champion. She is already the best skater of her age group.
    Best jumper. She's still got a hell of a long way to go on every other aspect of her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Best jumper. She's still got a hell of a long way to go on every other aspect of her skating.
    Well, I would say it pales in comparison to the current World Medalists, but if you are going to compare her to her age group (Judgejudy's remark) then, she is competitive in other aspects of her skating with the likes of Sotnikova, Tuk, Li, Osmond, etc.

vCash
    Say what you will about Gold's presentation but she is already consistently and pretty much always beating Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Osmond, Li, and all the top skaters around her age. This past season she was also inconsistent as heck, making tons of mistakes in most of her events, and STILL beat all those almost every time. I think her only loss to any of them was Osmond at Skate Canada. In years to come one can expect her to improve her presentation and consistency, and she will likely leave the rest of that group in their dust barring their doing something miracelous. The judges love her and give her very high scores, even for things she doesnt deserve them in, and extremely generous PCS for where her skating currently is at.

I am not even a Gold fan but she alreadys looks like the one to beat the 2015-2018 quad. I am not saying she will win every event of course, but if she doesnt surpass Sasha's career it will be a major surprise.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast