Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Mirai hasn't been "on" in a long, long time. For the past two years, she's been skating as if she were on autopilot.
    Totally agree, and I don't see that changing. Could she win gold? Sure...all kinds of things could happen....the top ten ladies could not skate, she could fix her UR's, get some motivation, be that young bright eyed girl we all fell in love with. She veered off course somewhere. Way too many things would have to fall her way, and she would have to find her joy......and I don't see that happening.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    ^ I will say in defense of Mirai that she was working hard last year and I think her LP at Nationals was affected by illness. Even then, she didn't give up and splat in that LP (just a mess with UR's) which was par for the course the year before

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^ I will say in defense of Mirai that she was working hard last year and I think her LP at Nationals was affected by illness. Even then, she didn't give up and splat in that LP (just a mess with UR's) which was par for the course the year before
    She was also undermarked sort of. If you take away the questionable UR calls didnt she have less mistakes as far as stumbles/falls than Ashley. I think she had 2 and Ashley 3. Ashley had some jumps that looked more UR than the ones Mirai was called in but hers werent called and Mirai was.

Gao was also very undermarked at Nationals. Judges definitely played favorites even if the top 2 and World team was probably right. I hope next years Nationals is more fair even if it means a shocker and having to leave one of Gold or Wagner at home if they dont deliver and all the others do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Her jumps aren't the best quality and she's either lost speed or isn't using it to the best of her ability in her programs...
    I think part of that is that she has made some fairly bad music choices. The right music brings out the best a skater. A lot of skaters make a mistake when they think a music selection will be good because another skater used it effectively. IMO Nagasu makes a mistake in trying to interpret softer music that obviates her strengths. She needs music that sound like it could score an adventure/action film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I think part of that is that she has made some fairly bad music choices. The right music brings out the best a skater. A lot of skaters make a mistake when they think a music selection will be good because another skater used it effectively. IMO Nagasu makes a mistake in trying to interpret softer music that obviates her strengths. She needs music that sound like it could score an adventure/action film.
    I totally agree. I think she can benefit from Hans Zimmer's William Tell Overture from Lone Ranger or Sorcerer's Apprentice.

vCash
    ITA. I thought her SP last season was definitely a step in the right direction. Mirai was able to skate with personality and energy. She looked like she was having a little bit of fun. Unfortunately, they didn't carry that over into her FS and she ended up with yet another snoozer. It was better than Spartacus but it still wasn't a good program.

I do think she'd benefit from bigger music, especially in the FS.

vCash
    Who does Mirai's choreography right now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Who does Mirai's choreography right now?
    Susan Austin did both of her programs last season. IDK who is doing them this season...

I wonder when she is going to announce her music for this season?

vCash
    I don't know. I really enjoyed the first half of her Pirates SP (the Fragile Dreams part), which was a bit softer and slower. Her Memoirs of a Geisha program was also softer and lighter than a lot of her other programs, and she managed to have at least one good outing with that at 4CC. I wouldn't attribute many of her difficulties to music choice because I definitely think she's capable of using softer music. Also, some of her attempts with the more dramatic numbers haven't been successful either. Even though I personally liked it, I remember tons of complaints about her Witches of Eastwick SP. She also didn't really sell her Symphony No. 3 program last season even though it was a bigger piece. When she performed it at Nationals she had so many bobbles and most of the transitions were significantly weaker than they have been in the past. Her artistry has certainly declined, but I think her actual skating has taken a bigger turn for the worse.

That being said, I agree that her real strength lies in the programs with more action and more concentration on creating a character instead of just trying to look pretty (such as her 2010 programs). Perhaps returning to something like a more dramatic film score would be a good choice for her this season.

vCash
    Mirai will have to pull herself together in the two gp assignment she got, and really deliver, if she wants USSF to even consider her as a serious contender for the Olympic team. she really has what it takes, she only needs to keep it together when it counts.
    but she has gotten some real harsh assignments this season, which of course isn't going to make it easier for her to medal, but one can still hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    So much of skating is about reputation and momentum and right now Mirai has neither.
    This. It took me a long time to realize that skating is more than just technical skills and artistic presentation. Mirai will need to be perfect and then some in her first competition to climb back into judges's and USFS's good graces and rebuild that rep for herself.

vCash
    No. Mirai hasn't gotten any better for a long time now. I was more impressed with her when she won the US jr title. To me she hasn't gotten better since.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    ... I was more impressed with her when she won the US jr title. To me she hasn't gotten better since.
    Oh, I totally disagree with this last part. When she won the jr title and even her first sr Nationals, she still looked like a charming junior skater with potential, not like an elite senior skater. She struggled with her first growth spurt, but came out of it a much stronger skater. I'd agree though that she has not gotten better since 2010.

vCash
    It would take huge splatfests by Yuna, Carolina, and Mao for Mirai to win the Olympics. I wouldn't place any bets on it. I hope she makes the US team, but there's a good chance she won't.

vCash
    Oh, I totally disagree with this last part. When she won the jr title and even her first sr Nationals, she still looked like a charming junior skater with potential, not like an elite senior skater. She struggled with her first growth spurt, but came out of it a much stronger skater. I'd agree though that she has not gotten better since 2010.
    I do think her 2011 4CC's performances were among her best, though. Her LP score there was her highest w/o any extra points for a spiral sequence. If she were to regain that form from just 2.5 years ago, she would be battling Ashley and Gracie at nationals. Again, she would need to prove herself in the Fall and regain lost credibility

vCash
    4CC scores have the tendency to be a bit inflated, though. They are for everyone, so in that sense you can use the marks for comparison, but while Mirai's 129 point FS was a great score for a great program, Miki still scored 5 points higher for a program with no 3f, 6 triples total. That was a great skate for Miki, too, but 134+ is a pretty monstrous score for a program with 6 triples (as opposed to 7), no 3f, and a 3t as one of the repeated triples. In general, I feel like 4CCs scores at any other competition (except maybe Euros which also has the tendency to be inflated) average a couple points higher in the SP and around 5ish points higher in the FS than scores at any other international event. So I think Mirai's 4CC FS was about as good as her one from the Olympics or maybe a little worse (just because I think the Carmen program was better constructed and showcased her fiery, sassy side better than the Geisha program which I found a bit bland). And then subtract 5 points from that score and you get 124-125ish, which doesn't get her onto the medal stand at Worlds judging from this year's scores, and puts her in the 4th-7th range (Zijun was 4th in the FS with 127, Kanako 7th with 123). So even if she were to return to her best form from 3-4 years ago, it's looking like she'd be placing somewhere in the 5th-10th range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I do think her 2011 4CC's performances were among her best, though. Her LP score there was her highest w/o any extra points for a spiral sequence. If she were to regain that form from just 2.5 years ago, she would be battling Ashley and Gracie at nationals. Again, she would need to prove herself in the Fall and regain lost credibility
    Yeah, even if she does get back into top form, Ashley and Gracie (and maybe Agnes, Christina, Alissa, etc.) still will prove to be formidable opponents.

vCash
    Mirai at the peak of her considerable talents, and skating at a level that could have won her the 2011, and maybe even 2010 and 2012 Worlds, still lost to Yu Na Kim by 40 points at the 2010 Olympics. So even if Mirai were at her peak, maxing out her huge potential, which she is far from doing these last few years, she would obviously need Kim to bomb like she almost never bombs for starters to have a chance. As it is with her current status she is a long shot to even make the U.S Olympic team and probably wont.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    4CC scores have the tendency to be a bit inflated, though. They are for everyone, so in that sense you can use the marks for comparison, but while Mirai's 129 point FS was a great score for a great program, Miki still scored 5 points higher for a program with no 3f, 6 triples total. That was a great skate for Miki, too, but 134+ is a pretty monstrous score for a program with 6 triples (as opposed to 7), no 3f, and a 3t as one of the repeated triples. In general, I feel like 4CCs scores at any other competition (except maybe Euros which also has the tendency to be inflated) average a couple points higher in the SP and around 5ish points higher in the FS than scores at any other international event. So I think Mirai's 4CC FS was about as good as her one from the Olympics or maybe a little worse (just because I think the Carmen program was better constructed and showcased her fiery, sassy side better than the Geisha program which I found a bit bland). And then subtract 5 points from that score and you get 124-125ish, which doesn't get her onto the medal stand at Worlds judging from this year's scores, and puts her in the 4th-7th range (Zijun was 4th in the FS with 127, Kanako 7th with 123). So even if she were to return to her best form from 3-4 years ago, it's looking like she'd be placing somewhere in the 5th-10th range.
    I am not a Miki fan but I thought her score at 4CCs was fine. The current judging system doesnt punish you much for leaving out a triple. Miki's 4CCs performance had extremely high quality jumps, much improved and very nice spins, and her best choreography ever, and was completely clean. It was also smartly code whored and had a very high base value. Yu Na Kim skating her best at events like the 2010 Olympics and 2013 Worlds managed around a 150 for only 6 triples and no triple loop, and only a couple points higher base value than Miki's 2010-2011 LP, so Miki with a 137 for her best skate ever is fine. Yes I know you will probably say Yu Na at her best would outscore Miki at her best by a bit (or some things more than a bit) on everything, but that is more than accounted for in a 12 or 13 point LP gap.

vCash
    Miki is a 2 time World Champion. She has the same number of World titles as Yu Na Kim who most consider the best skater in history, and the same number as Mao Asada who is also revered as a timeless legendary skater. To achieve that in the same era is impressive. I often feel she deserves more respect than she gets, even though I still do think Kim, Asada, and Kostner overall are better skaters, but Miki is the best competitor of the whole generation apart from Kim.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast