vCash

Red face Help My Sit Spin

Hi guys!

I've been skating for five years now and I still can't do a successful sit spin.

I've been told I have really long legs but I don't know if that's why I have trouble spinning fast while being able to sit as low as possible. My cousins have been helping me but I need some tips or advice to help me be able to get as low as possible in my sit spin or help me get low without losing balance and tipping.

Please help!

Excersizes and stuff like that helps too!

Thank youx

vCash
    Oh and on an added note:

Tips or advice or excersizes to help me get more flexible are appreciated as well!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Without seeing a video I don't know exactly, but here's some general tips: You have to hook the entrance so you are not traveling. Keeping the spin centered alleviates some of the muscular fatigue you may feel in your legs. Centering can be done by arching your back far enough to see your heel, on the step in. Also strengthen your quad muscles, if you are having trouble getting down or up. On ice you can try shoot-the-ducks and off ice do squats with weights.

vCash
    My sit spin was never good... but I got noticeably lower when I switched from a wind up entry to a 3-turn entry.

Good luck!

vCash
    practice teapots (shoot the ducks) on the ice, and off the ice also. Squats are also a good idea.

I found when I was learning it as a young teen to just try and go as low as you can, even if you fall after a couple of revs. Eventually you will
    build up the strength to maintain and get back up.

As a returning adult skater, I have found getting an appropriate position to be a greater challenge than getting jumps back. I think the change in body shape doesn't help.

vCash
    One thing that helped me was making sure that once I started bending down on my knee, I only went down from there. It's very easy to bend as you start to get on your entry edge, rise up slightly and then try to sit back down. This also helps you maintain the speed from your entry edge. Good luck!

vCash
    try to feel like you're reaching for the ice - it will help you not feel like you're going to go backwards off of your heel.

vCash

Re: Help My Sit Spin

Can you do full one-legged squats? If so practice them; building leg strength will help with balance because the stronger your legs are, the more strength you will have left over to maintain balance.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

vCash
    I've just managed to get lower on my sitspin (but sadly still not quite low enough) by training my legs a lot more in the gym. I've been doing various Olympic Lifting exercises with a barbell but the one that I feel has helped the most is doing full overhead squats.

vCash
    There is some strength involved, but a lot of it is technique. Make sure you arch your back and keep it really tight from the moment you step down onto the entrance edge until you are done with the spin. Bend as deeply as possible when you step down onto your spinning foot (you should feel like your skating leg is bent at 90 degrees and your thigh is parallel to the ice). Look over your left shoulder (assuming you spin to the left) and push onto a very small circle that is behind you to your left. Keep your free leg straight and pointed and extended as far behind you as possible so that you feel like a dog chasing its tail as you push onto the entrance edge on that small circle. Keeping that free leg way behind you, hold that entrance edge for as long as you held your preparatory edge, and then bring the free leg around to the front in a controlled way, keeping it just above the ice like you're drawing a big circle with a compass. When it reaches 2:00 (just coming around to the front), turn the foot out so you don't stab the heel of your blade in the ice. Keep bringing it around until it collides with your spinning leg. Keeping your weight balanced just behind your toepick, push your chest forward while keeping your back arched, and also push your free leg forward and lower it. When you feel the inner thigh of your free leg pressing against the lower calf of your skating leg, you will know you are in a true sit position. Practice getting into that position doing left back inside shoot-the-ducks with your heel lifted (it's OK to scrape your bottom toepick).

vCash
    In addition to what everyone has already said: something that tended to make my sit spins wobbly was if I wasn't super careful with my free leg. Think of the free leg as one end of a compass (the kind you'd use in geometry class, like what doubletoe mentions). Your free leg needs to stay at the same level as it comes around from the back to the front. If it goes up and down while it's coming around, you'll wobble. The other thing that helped with my sit spins is I end up being a lot further forward on my blade than i thought I needed to be. Pushing your lower back forward really hard will help keep your body balanced over the spinning foot.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.