Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Especialy since after 2014 there will be ALOT of retirements. It will almost be an open field again with a new protocal and order in the judges mind to be determined, and those who strike early giving themselves a chance to establish themselves at or near the top. The U.S will probably be protecting Wagner and Gold both for this year, but after 2014 it will probably be open game once again for the U.S ladies and at Nationals too, unless Gold becomes a huge star on the World stage earlier than expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Especialy since after 2014 there will be ALOT of retirements. It will almost be an open field again with a new protocal and order in the judges mind to be determined, and those who strike early giving themselves a chance to establish themselves at or near the top. The U.S will probably be protecting Wagner and Gold both for this year, but after 2014 it will probably be open game once again for the U.S ladies and at Nationals too, unless Gold becomes a huge star on the World stage earlier than expected.
    The problem is that all the girls that finished ahead of Mirai at Nationals last season are not retiring after 2014. With the exception of Siraj and maybe Hicks Mirai will have trouble beating the rest. And the younger girls like Edmunds and Chen will be coming up to challenge her too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post

Would love to know what these exercises are!
    Yeah, I want to know what these exercises are too! But Frank didn't say anything specific and I'm sure if he did he'd be giving away valuable coaching advice that would cost him tons of money lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Yeah, I want to know what these exercises are too! But Frank didn't say anything specific and I'm sure if he did he'd be giving away valuable coaching advice that would cost him tons of money lol.
    I don't think they are any great secret. Kids at our rink start doing rotational exercises when they first start to work on the axel, and it continues on and on. I'm not a skater so I can't really explain it all, but they seem to generally involve back spins and practicing the specific positions needed during the course of a jump. They also do single jumps and then double jumps with all kinds of arm positions to work on getting more height as well as take off edge. Dart fish is also used to show the skater exactly what is happening at each phase of the jump. Any coach who keeps up their professional development will have heard of and or learned these exercises.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Mirai's last few tweets seem to be inspirational tidbits. I hope she's feeling inspired for the Olympic season! Her latest tweet (and Ashley's too) is actually rather moving - a 3 minute Thai commercial that 'puts full length Hollywood films to shame':
    https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu

Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu 15 Sep
    “@AshWagner2010: Do a good deed every day http://gawker.com/this-three-minute-...ood-1309506149 …” saw this and cried
    Hide summary Reply Retweet Favorite More

http://gawker.com/this-three-minute-...ood-1309506149

Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu 13 Sep
    Friday the 13th quote of the day:
    Your biggest competition is the one in the mirror. #nofilter #selfie http://instagram.com/p/eNcNGAC5Wk/
    Expand

Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu 13 Sep
    You know you've ventured into adulthood when you have to pay your mom to take you places...
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu 6 Sep
    Lonely....I am so lonely lol. http://instagram.com/p/d7o9vaC5c5/
    Expand

vCash
    I find many of you are hard on poor mirai in this thread, especialy people that seem to want her to do well like kwanatic but still create a kitchen list of things she has to do to in order to even pray to make the Olympic team. I hope that is not how the USFSA and coaches are pushing her to. It would sap her love for the skating if that was the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    I find many of you are hard on poor mirai in this thread, especialy people that seem to want her to do well like kwanatic but still create a kitchen list of things she has to do to in order to even pray to make the Olympic team. I hope that is not how the USFSA and coaches are pushing her to. It would sap her love for the skating if that was the case.
    ITA. I hope nothing but the best for Mirai this season. I hope she gives it her all and ends the season with her head held high no matter how the USFSA treats her even when she skates great and is still placed below skaters who fall or make major mistakes - like she was at Nationals in the SP.

vCash
    A bit of a throwback: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDU2NzA3Njcy.html
    Mirai's first international assignment, Junior Worlds 2007 SP
    When the judges, weren't so generous with the PCS yet. Check out her speed and coverage for someone so small at the time

vCash
    Mirai was just flying on the ice. Her jumps had pretty good height too considering she was only about 4'7 at the time. She certainly had the skating skills to take on the Russian babies of today though she didn't have a 3-3 combination yet.

vCash
    She skates last in Finlandia for her free... Let's see what 007 can do.

vCash
    I hope Mirai has resolved her boot issues (she was tweeting about them a few days ago, asking for advice on breaking them in asap IIRC). Crossing fingers that she has no URs or mistakes and that she has two great skates!

No matter where she places I'll be rooting for Mirai all the way!

vCash
    I think it's sad that the media (most of the articles I have read) seems to be writing Mirai off, and not including her when mentioning potential Olympic team members. I can understand ranking Ashley and Gracie, and even to some degree Christina over her... but I think to mention Agnes and Courtney as possibilities and not include Mirai seems short-sighted.

vCash
    Agnes has been third at the last 2 Nationals. Courtney has looked pretty sharp so far this season, and much better than Nagasu did at Finlandia. She also placed much higher at Nationals. It makes sense people are giving those skaters more chance than Nagasu right now. It doesnt mean she cant potentially beat them though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Agnes has been third at the last 2 Nationals. Courtney has looked pretty sharp so far this season, and much better than Nagasu did at Finlandia. She also placed much higher at Nationals. It makes sense people are giving those skaters more chance than Nagasu right now. It doesnt mean she cant potentially beat them though.
    But Mirai medaled at GPs and senior B's for the last two years, and has generally scored better internationally than Agnes has. Nagasu scored 164 at Finlandia, Agnes scored 147 at CoC, and Hicks scored 162 at SC. I don't see an argument for Agnes and Courtney to be so far ahead of Mirai.

vCash
    Go for a medal at NHK Trophy!

vCash
    MIRAI!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Go, Mirai! Give it your all! Wishing you a great couple of skates!

vCash
    Wow, I didn't realize Mirai's ranking had fallen so much... Now that I think about it, she hasn't been to a major international event since 2011! Even Radionova is ranked ahead of her!

Kick butt Mirai! I still have faith in you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    I think it's sad that the media (most of the articles I have read) seems to be writing Mirai off, and not including her when mentioning potential Olympic team members. I can understand ranking Ashley and Gracie, and even to some degree Christina over her... but I think to mention Agnes and Courtney as possibilities and not include Mirai seems short-sighted.
    I hope that it works in her favor, that she can perform without pressure and give great performances and possibly win one of those 3 spots. Notice that I didn't say win the 3rd spot. I, no matter how unpopular the opinion, still feel like 2, if not all 3 spots are up for grabs.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Two confident programs would go a long way. She doesn't NEED to medal on the GP, just score well and stay in the mix. Gao, Zawadzki and Hicks will (likely) not medal on the GP either.
    Mirai just needs to peak at Nationals.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast