Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    That Bond program has great potential; however, it was typical Mirai of the last couple of years; she did all the moves, but no emotion, no facial expression, no punch to the program. That is a program that has to be ACTED, just like Yu Na's short from 2010. I swear, does Mirai really even want to be out there anymore? She has the talent, she has the ability, but she keeps acting like she's in pain having to skate at all. If she is even going to have a shot for Sochi, she has to really up the expression - she has to WANT it. I'm not really sure she does.
    Isn't this the start of a new season and some new programs? A skater has to feel comfortable with a program before he/she starts expressing freely on the ice. You are comparing Yu na's Olympic program which had a LOT more mileage than Mirai's new program which has no mileage at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    That Bond program has great potential; however, it was typical Mirai of the last couple of years; she did all the moves, but no emotion, no facial expression, no punch to the program. That is a program that has to be ACTED, just like Yu Na's short from 2010. I swear, does Mirai really even want to be out there anymore? She has the talent, she has the ability, but she keeps acting like she's in pain having to skate at all. If she is even going to have a shot for Sochi, she has to really up the expression - she has to WANT it. I'm not really sure she does.
    I've had that question about Mirai since about 2010. I don't get from her that she really wants it as bad as some of the other skaters do.

vCash
    She posted this on her Instagram

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4733/9fww.jpg

vCash
    I predict just as in seasons past, Mirai will start to get her groove on by the 2nd GP assignment. That will give her some credibility with the USFSA and she'll be a podium contender (again) by the time Nationals rolls around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I predict just as in seasons past, Mirai will start to get her groove on by the 2nd GP assignment. That will give her some credibility with the USFSA and she'll be a podium contender (again) by the time Nationals rolls around.
    Peaking at the right time is pretty key. It pays to start with a strong impression, but especially in singles (And more so than in say Dance) it seems to be about "doing the jumps" when it counts.

vCash
    Mirai has had a pattern of one good GP and one not-so-good one. How she does in the GP isn't a good predictor of how she will perform at Nationals. GP performances don't really matter that much anyway---it's only how a skater does at Nationals that counts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Mirai has had a pattern of one good GP and one not-so-good one. How she does in the GP isn't a good predictor of how she will perform at Nationals. GP performances don't really matter that much anyway---it's only how a skater does at Nationals that counts.
    Quite true. In fact, one of Mirai's best performances (2010 Nationals), was after a rather dismal GP season all around (for both GP's).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    I was basing my views on last season where she kept getting better and medalled at NHK, only to be battling the flu at Nationals. I think she would've been back on the podium had she been healthy.

vCash
    I don't think Nagasu can afford to be anything less than solid in all her competitions this coming season. Not with the way she skated and disappointed at the last couple of seasons. Hicks and Gao have been consistent including with their 3/3s and rarely get UR calls.

vCash
    I was basing my views on last season where she kept getting better and medalled at NHK, only to be battling the flu at Nationals. I think she would've been back on the podium had she been healthy.
    I agree. She was looking stronger and stronger with each competition and I do think she would have put up a better fight in the FS if she hadn't been sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I don't think Nagasu can afford to be anything less than solid in all her competitions this coming season. Not with the way she skated and disappointed at the last couple of seasons. Hicks and Gao have been consistent including with their 3/3s and rarely get UR calls.
    I agree with this as well. It's a tall order to fill but Mirai needs to look great at her first event and get even better in her 2nd one. She's too far down the list of potentials for that 3rd spot right now. I think Agnes, Christina and Courtney all have a much better shot of getting that 3rd spot than Mirai does right now. All 3 have 3-3s and far less UR issues than Mirai. But none of them can match Mirai's brilliance when she is "on"...granted it's been a very long time since she's been on but the potential/ability is still there.

I wonder what Mirai's plans will be after this season? Will she continue to compete, hoping to pull a Carolina or Akiko (find her stride in her mid-20s), or will she retire and continue doing shows?

vCash
    ITA, kwanatic. I wonder how her mom is doing. I've been wishing her full recovery.

vCash
    The more I watch Mirai's programs, the more I like them. Especially her SP. I didn't notice before, but in her first combo spin the variations are perfectly timed to the music. I'm getting more excited for her on the GPs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Seems like Mirai made the FS dress that we all like so much
    http://instagram.com/p/cf4dmHC5Tl/#
    Wow! Kudos to Mirai for making her own dresses - and in the Olympic season no less!

On the other hand - it breaks my heart a little that she's making her own dresses. I guess she can't really afford dressmakers or certainly not designers like a Vera Wang. Wish she could. I would've loved to see what Vera Wang would have come up with for Mirai.

Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    Actually, she scored around 118 for her free skate at the 2010 US Nationals, and made the Olympic team by about 4 points...I wouldn't say that's "barely" making the Olympic team.

I don't think Mirai's great skates were flukes at all. She's simply an up-and-down skater. Her great skates include 2008 Nationals, 2010 Olympics FS, 2010 Worlds SP, 2011 Nationals SP, 2011 4CC FS, and 2012 NHK FS.

Yes, she does have issues with her Lz/F takeoff edges, and certainly with UR, but I think overall you're being too harsh.

While I agree that certainly her overall skating has not improved as much as we all would have liked/expected it to by this point in time, I don't think she's been entirely stagnant. I find her to look much more confident and solid than her earlier years' performances (and I quote that from Chris Howarth's UK EuroSport commentary from the 2012 NHK).

Mirai's flexibility is still present, in fact I think her layback has even more extension now. (http://youtu.be/qc6Bcnjhj0k?t=4m31s

Also, her footwork is also improved (she scored a level 4 on it at 2013 Nationals), she was having a hard time scoring higher than level 2 (see her FS at the 2010 Olympics).

Mirai certainly has everything that it takes. When the package opens, everyone better watch out. She will shut it down. It may take her a little while, yes, but not every skater has a linear career. Look at Carolina Kostner...people had been touting her talent since the 2003 Euro's and she really only started to achieve her potential by around the 2011 Worlds. I wish her the best, and I can't wait to see her blossom.

Well put!

Quote Originally Posted by change of edge View Post
    The more I watch Mirai's programs, the more I like them. Especially her SP. I didn't notice before, but in her first combo spin the variations are perfectly timed to the music. I'm getting more excited for her on the GPs!
    Same here. The programs are starting to grow on me a little bit especially the LP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Wow! Kudos to Mirai for making her own dresses - and in the Olympic season no less!

On the other hand - it breaks my heart a little that she's making her own dresses. I guess she can't really afford dressmakers or certainly not designers like a Vera Wang. Wish she could. I would've loved to see what Vera Wang would have come up with for Mirai.
    Seems you are in Mirai's trap. She's just PRETENDING. Not necessary for your heart to be broken
    Looking like a pretty legit designer here. #fakeittilyoumakeit 

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Seems you are in Mirai's trap. She's just PRETENDING. Not necessary for your heart to be broken
    Woops! Didn't catch the hashtag! Well I'm glad - heart breaking a little no more!

vCash
    I don't necessarily know that that means she didn't really make it. Fake it till you make it can mean she's pretending to be a -legit- designer, even though she's really just an amateur one. Or act like a rich skater princess until one day you are a rich skater princess.

She very well might have done the stoning herself. Or added a few of them.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 08-24-2013 at 12:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    She very well might have done the stoning herself. Or added a few of them.
    Yeah, she might have tried stoning some of them and it might be fun for her.

vCash
    Yeah, she might have tried stoning some of them and it might be fun for her.
    OT but I've always wanted to learn how - stoning and embroidering especially jeans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think Agnes, Christina and Courtney all have a much better shot of getting that 3rd spot than Mirai does right now. All 3 have 3-3s and far less UR issues than Mirai. But none of them can match Mirai's brilliance when she is "on"...granted it's been a very long time since she's been on but the potential/ability is still there.
    I like Mirai alot but I think to make Olympics team and contend for medal in Sochi she needs perfect skates of her best caliber and mistakes by others both at Nationals and the Games.

Mirai has done some good performances in the last couple years. NHK this season especialy. Maybe you are assuming her being on or at her best is a level of skater she used to be say around her peak in 2010-2011, but she just isnt as good a skater as she used to be anymore even when she is on, and her new on is not what you are thinking it is. People are spoiled by Kim and Asada being at their best still mid 20s after being underaged teen phenoms and might think that is normal for ladies skating but it is not. Ladies skaters tend to peak for a few years, then decline. Mirai probably has as well. The on you are imagining is probably something that isnt even within her abilities now. I think NHK minus maybe a couple of URs is what an on Mirai looks like now. Which would probably overtake even Gaos best, but could still lose to any of Wagner, Gold, Zawadski, and maybe an improved Courtney at yours. I dont think she is capable of skating at the level of the 2010 Olympics, 2010 Worlds short skate, and 2011 Four Continents, even if she were really on anymore. She isnt as good a skater as she then anymore to put it blunt.

Also the other thread you were talking how Agnes could win the last 3 Nationals but now saying she isnt as good as an on Nagasu, so I am a little confused on your views on her. You seem to rate her highly then you dont.

vCash
    I tend to agree, I think Mirai may have peaked at 16 and it's not realistic for her to regain that same kind of energy and body type she had back in 2010 now. Yuna and Mao were very blessed with their bone structures and body builds, plus they both went through their transitional period slowly and gradually, and generally grew up physically at a younger age than Mirai. Mirai looks in shape now but while in 2010, she was similar in build to Yuna and Mao, now you can tell she is a much sturdier frame, bigger bones, shoulders, etc. compared to either of them. That's not going to go away even if she were to lose weight, which I don't think is even the problem because she looks in shape. In 2010 she had just shot up several inches the year before and had finally adjusted to her new height, but hadn't really filled out yet, so she was fast and light and the jumps, which have always been of questionable quality and rotation, were at their best. Plus 16 year olds have lots of energy, and Mirai doesn't have that super-intense killer instinct personality Jenny and Dave like to talk about that Yuna definitely, and even Mao somewhat, do have. She could maybe make the team as the 3rd member and with a good skate could place in the top 10 at the Olympics, but I think the days of her being a real contender on the World stage are over.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast