Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I don't think she started fully rotating the 3t-3t until NHK, though. Maybe Team Nagasu believes they can do the 3f-3t by late Fall?
    I always feel iffy when people have trouble completing the easier stuff yet plan on doing even harder stuff. I'm glad she's trying to challenge herself but Mirai can't afford to "figure it out" on the GP. She has to be firing on all cylinders in every competition; she won't have the luxury skaters like Ashley and Gracie will have when it comes to making mistakes. They have reputation to carry them over a shaky performance...Mirai has nothing which means she'll drop like a rock in the standings.

The 3F isn't as good of a jump for her anymore. She changed her entrance from a 3-turn to a mohawk last season b/c of the edge calls she was getting and it appears to have corrected the edge but (to me at least) it looks like she's sacrificed some of the height and power on that jump. Tacking a 3T to the end of it doesn't seem like a good idea. The 3T-3T is easier but she'll have a much higher success rate than if she goes for the 3F-3T which, let's face it, has a very very small chance of being ratified for her. Her 3T-3T at nationals was fast, covered a lot of ice and was executed nicely. If she does that on the GP she could earn +GOE; same thing with her 3L versus her 3Lz. She'll more than likely get dinged on the 3Lz. I know it's still early in the season but she appeared to struggle with the lutz here (barely hung on in the SP, clearly 2-footed/URed in the FS).

Most likely she'd be looking at a 3F-3T<, 3Lz(e), 2A...that kind of skate would be peppered with -GOEs and leave her with less than she'd earn with a clean 3T-3T, 3L/3F, 2A. She has to play it smart if she wants to move up.

vCash
    I thought it was worth keeping in mind that Mirai had just returned from a week of touring in Japan. Touring is not training. Japan is like day/night different - so she was getting over jet lag. Good for her for putting her program out there at Glacier.

vCash
    Agree. It's a new program, start of the season, she just got back from touring Japan. I think it's a good 1st outing for Mirai, she looks quite fit too and determined this season. The surprise is how good Courtney Hicks is at the start of the season, and she'll definitely figure into the 3rd spot contention.

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of the way Mirai fought. She went for every jump, didn't bail out of anything, stood up on everything...but the results were not good.

I'd be a lot more inclined to write it off as jet lag/unprepared/etc. if I knew for a fact that this is not her level of skating. If Yu-Na showed up at a summer competition and had a weak skate, people would write it off as just a bad skate. As I said, Mirai doesn't get that benefit of the doubt. Everything she does from now until nationals will be heavily scrutinized because she is not a favorite. She has way more to prove than probably every other person in contention for that 3rd spot to Sochi.

I'm crossing my fingers that she was just tired and that's why she skated that way. I guess we'll have a better idea by her next competition...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I thought it was worth keeping in mind that Mirai had just returned from a week of touring in Japan. Touring is not training. Japan is like day/night different - so she was getting over jet lag. Good for her for putting her program out there at Glacier.
    This is all part of Mairai keeping her eye on the prize. You are correct. Touring is not training. The results indicate that she should have been training, not touring.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Touring is an opportunity to earn money for training, which is also very important.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Touring is an opportunity to earn money for training, which is also very important.
    Yes, not all skaters come from wealthy families that can easily afford to pay for training.......

vCash
    Closer up version Mirai's FS at Glacier Falls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVIufDAjIgc
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Yes, not all skaters come from wealthy families that can easily afford to pay for training.......
    THIS. The fact that the Nagasu family is not particularly wealthy has been well-documented.

vCash
    Thanks to everyone who provided links!

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Mirai's and I want her to get on that Olympic team - but I won't make excuses for her. The moment she stepped on competition ice she should have been prepared. IMO EVERY competition from here through Nationals is desperately important for her to try and gain back her reputation and the PCS scores that she once received. She has to have her jump issues resolved before the GPs. Of course, if she had to tour due to financial reasons there wasn't much she could do about it. But now that she's home I hope she really stays focused and works hard on her technique and improving her PCS.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I always feel iffy when people have trouble completing the easier stuff yet plan on doing even harder stuff. I'm glad she's trying to challenge herself but Mirai can't afford to "figure it out" on the GP. She has to be firing on all cylinders in every competition; she won't have the luxury skaters like Ashley and Gracie will have when it comes to making mistakes. They have reputation to carry them over a shaky performance...Mirai has nothing which means she'll drop like a rock in the standings.

The 3F isn't as good of a jump for her anymore. She changed her entrance from a 3-turn to a mohawk last season b/c of the edge calls she was getting and it appears to have corrected the edge but (to me at least) it looks like she's sacrificed some of the height and power on that jump. Tacking a 3T to the end of it doesn't seem like a good idea. The 3T-3T is easier but she'll have a much higher success rate than if she goes for the 3F-3T which, let's face it, has a very very small chance of being ratified for her. Her 3T-3T at nationals was fast, covered a lot of ice and was executed nicely. If she does that on the GP she could earn +GOE; same thing with her 3L versus her 3Lz. She'll more than likely get dinged on the 3Lz. I know it's still early in the season but she appeared to struggle with the lutz here (barely hung on in the SP, clearly 2-footed/URed in the FS).

Most likely she'd be looking at a 3F-3T<, 3Lz(e), 2A...that kind of skate would be peppered with -GOEs and leave her with less than she'd earn with a clean 3T-3T, 3L/3F, 2A. She has to play it smart if she wants to move up.
    ITA. Love Mirai, but this is the Olympic season and she doesn't have time to play. She really needed to be strong right out of the gates imo. I know the season's not in full swing yet but I don't like that she STILL has stamina and UR issues. And her scores were just not good.

I like her programs but don't love them - yet. Maybe by Nationals they'll have that special sparkle that only she can bring - when she's on. I'm crossing fingers for Mirai and hoping against the odds that she makes the Sochi Olympic team.

I don't like her SP dress but I do like the FS dress very much.

I do love that Mirai went for a 3f-3t in the SP and the 3lutz. I couldn't tell - did she take off on a proper edge on that lutz?
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 08-09-2013 at 11:09 AM.

vCash
    I am cautiously optimistic for Mirai, I think her pair of programs are better fit for her than last 2 seasons and it is good to see she go out there with the 3F-3T this early in the season. Yes many are familiar with her UR problems - need be fixed asap. The score are not going to be high this early in the season as consistent with her pattern, but she has shown she can come back and manage her condition, like her 2nd GP spot at NHK last year at last minute where she medalled.

It is time to step up Mirai. It is really now or never, no more excuses. Thematically, the Free skate has so much potential but need a lot of work and more than a few tweaks. (7 medley cut seems too many without coherent plot/story/sense in choreography. The whole thing need to gel better) Medley are great for mood variation, display varied expression, character building, moves should not be throw away onto the next elements but how to strand a new unique program that will be memorable and watchable. She has tons of personality off ice, she just need to bring it to ice and be confident in her own brand of performance (not being told she should act like a Michelle Kwan. Biggest mistake I think that had hurt her last 3 seasons, trying to live up to that... impossible!)

I came across this great fan vid to Yuna's bond recently, and thought it may be a great inspiration to Mirai at probably also her final season. the Olympic Season. (I'd love to see her Olympic Behind the scene Videos Part 2 - four years on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InwjB5P6T3I

Observe the pizzazz, the confidence, the drama; the flirty playfulness, the epic quality in the power, speed and grace displayed by Yuna's Bond. Each move seems to have intention and purpose, not just in form only - never merely going through the motion. But also observe the struggle, the buildup, one step at a time progression which are inevitable, just have to rise to the occasion. Take notes from the bests. Mirai need to develop those sparkle in her FS desperately. She has the potential, just need to tap into her Ninja Assassin mode that exist in her blood heritage surely (along with her Carmen and Pirate genes ). She need to give out more of that devastating Bond vibe and attitude to charm the audience/judges, Mirai can be a total entertainer as she proven during the previous Olympic season, she can totally do it with a bit more conviction. Come on Mirai, come back bright, come back right, come back strong!! If you don't have the jump in the beginning but at least impress the crowd with an inspired memorable performance and the PCS will shoot up surely. Be hungry, be starving, be dying to go out there and prove everyone wrong!! I want to see that spirited Mirai, and with these programs, we might see her.

Personally I'd love to see a Bond Thriller @ Sochi! Perfect complementary program during this Snowden age.
    Last edited by os168; 08-10-2013 at 12:37 AM.

vCash
    I love Mirai and would love to see her on the US team. With 3 spots available, she at least has a chance to make the team. I just hope that at the nationals the USFSA will not hold her past struggles against her. If she skates well, I hope she will get the marks she deserves. Let the chips fall where they may.

vCash
    Seems like Mirai made the FS dress that we all like so much
    http://instagram.com/p/cf4dmHC5Tl/#

Banned Member
    vCash
    Mirai does not appear to have improved at all since 2010, when at US Nationals she scored only 118 points in the FS and barely made that Olympic team.

Her great skates at the 2008 Nationals and 2010 Olympics to me appear to be flukes. She has not corrected the terrible arch in her low back when she does flip and lutz, she has not learned those jumps on consistent, correct entrance edges, she still UR's and two-foots nearly 33% of her triples and has not developed any new footwork or spins.

Mirai 2013 still looks an awful lot like Mirai from 2010 US Nationals FS.

No improvement seen so far.

I edited to correct my facts of the FS, where Mirai scored about 118 points.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 08-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Mirai does not appear to have improved at all since 2010, when at US Nationals she scored only 102 points and barely made that Olympic team.

Her great skates at the 2008 Nationals and 2010 Olympics to me appear to be flukes. She has not corrected the terrible arch in her low back when she does flip and lutz, she has not learned those jumps on consistent, correct entrance edges, she still UR's and two-foots nearly 33% of her triples and has not developed any new footwork or spins.

Mirai 2013 still looks an awful lot like Mirai from 2010 US Nationals FS.

No improvement seen so far.
    Actually, she scored around 118 for her free skate at the 2010 US Nationals, and made the Olympic team by about 4 points...I wouldn't say that's "barely" making the Olympic team.

I don't think Mirai's great skates were flukes at all. She's simply an up-and-down skater. Her great skates include 2008 Nationals, 2010 Olympics FS, 2010 Worlds SP, 2011 Nationals SP, 2011 4CC FS, and 2012 NHK FS.

Yes, she does have issues with her Lz/F takeoff edges, and certainly with UR, but I think overall you're being too harsh.

While I agree that certainly her overall skating has not improved as much as we all would have liked/expected it to by this point in time, I don't think she's been entirely stagnant. I find her to look much more confident and solid than her earlier years' performances (and I quote that from Chris Howarth's UK EuroSport commentary from the 2012 NHK).

Mirai's flexibility is still present, in fact I think her layback has even more extension now. (http://youtu.be/qc6Bcnjhj0k?t=4m31s

Also, her footwork is also improved (she scored a level 4 on it at 2013 Nationals), she was having a hard time scoring higher than level 2 (see her FS at the 2010 Olympics).

Mirai certainly has everything that it takes. When the package opens, everyone better watch out. She will shut it down. It may take her a little while, yes, but not every skater has a linear career. Look at Carolina Kostner...people had been touting her talent since the 2003 Euro's and she really only started to achieve her potential by around the 2011 Worlds. I wish her the best, and I can't wait to see her blossom.

vCash
    *sniffles* Oh I miss this Mirai...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekjreo9CH-I

and will always adore the kiss and cry part with Frank. (The Chinese commentator speculated if the long time judging announcement were due to UR check and mentioned Mirai lost the Cup of China that year because of it)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Seems like Mirai made the FS dress that we all like so much
    http://instagram.com/p/cf4dmHC5Tl/#
    She has said how much she loves drawing and art. So cool and very admirable that she would take on the monumentally important task of creating her Free Skate dress for an Olympic season.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Any clue if Mirai will be assigned to a Senior B this year? I guess Salt Lake is full already.

vCash
    If Mirai gets high marks from international judges this season, it may improve her chances of getting high marks by the USFSA judges at the nationals. She absolutely cannot afford multiple ur's this season. I am rooting for her to make the Olympics team.

vCash
    That Bond program has great potential; however, it was typical Mirai of the last couple of years; she did all the moves, but no emotion, no facial expression, no punch to the program. That is a program that has to be ACTED, just like Yu Na's short from 2010. I swear, does Mirai really even want to be out there anymore? She has the talent, she has the ability, but she keeps acting like she's in pain having to skate at all. If she is even going to have a shot for Sochi, she has to really up the expression - she has to WANT it. I'm not really sure she does.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast