Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

vCash
    Mirai skates blank-faced, showing little or no enthusiasm for what she is doing. That doesn't help her PCS scores.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Mirai skates blank-faced, showing little or no enthusiasm for what she is doing. That doesn't help her PCS scores.
    Probably helps her with her concentration on rotating.

I have also noticed that she also has the same expression in the Kiss and Cry regardless of her scores, she has a flat expression, sort of bows and accepts the scores. I know she is American, but I think she has some of the introverted manners of the Japanese people, which she learned from her parents.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-10-2014 at 05:35 AM.

vCash
    Mirai did even better than I expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Probably helps her with her concentration on rotating.

I have also noticed that she also has the same expression in the Kiss and Cry regardless of her scores, she has a flat expression, sort of bows and accepts the scores. I know she is American, but I think she has some of the introverted manners of the Japanese people, which she learned from her parents.
    I agree. Although she did used to sell her performances alot better inspite of that. Great to see her skating well again, but that is the missing ingredient that would take her back up to the next level again.

vCash
    I'm honestly surprised that Mirai did so well tonight. I think there was a part of me that had already written her off due to past performances, but I'd be thrilled if she'd prove me wrong. Here's hoping all the training in Japan and new influences and experiences have lit a fire under her butt. I'm cautiously holding my breath for Saturday.

vCash
    So happy for Mirai! An excellent skate in the SP! Here's hoping that Mirai is on fire in the FS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    So happy for Mirai! An excellent skate in the SP! Here's hoping that Mirai is on fire in the FS!
    I was tickled to see her place well in the SP, but when you look at her elements, she did 3T-3T and 3Loop. To stay in the top 3 in the freeskate, she is going to need to land the lutz and flip. I agree with those who would like to see more expression, but also agree that clean is more important. If she can only do one, I guess we have to take the blank face.

I was surprised to see Wagner placed so low with only a small error on the combination (3Lz-2T, -0.5 GOE). Still, she is the only skater with many 8s for PCS. US judges don't seem to have been very kind to any of the ladies.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Didn't hurt her AT ALL! She skated GREAT and was #1 for a very long time.

Mirai skated cleanly but was blank-faced as usual. She is 3rd after Gracie and Polina.
    Ashley is 4th but I am sure she will pull up in the FS.
    Mirai was not blank faced. Your negetively about her in all the related threads is becoming rather boring. She smiled, reacted to the crowd and had a good performance and would be in second if she had skated later.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    I honestly some people are conditioned to expect a happy clown face on mirai. She does not look like she is on happy pills like Gracie, she doesn't make over the top faces with her mouth open all the time like ashley. Get over it.

vCash
    I'm happy for MIrai!!!! Go Mirai!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Mirai was not blank faced. Your negetively about her in all the related threads is becoming rather boring. She smiled, reacted to the crowd and had a good performance and would be in second if she had skated later.
    I agree - I saw much more expression from Mirai in the SP than I have in a long time. Yes, there's work to be done but this was a big improvement even from the GPs. If she can only get that sparkle back that she once had her PCS scores would go up again. Hopefully she'll skate great in the FS and it will be enough to make the team.

vCash
    You can see the training she's had on the jumps, the last 1/4 rotation on all of them is where it should be. I actually thought her 3loop had a more questionable landing than the 3/3, which was beautiful. Mentally she's still in a really good spot, she knows that Ashley will most likely pull ahead of her and she's behind Polina Edmunds (a complete and total newcomer to the big placements). If I were Mirai as a competitor, I would be going for broke in the LP and squeezing out every single point that I can muster. She can focus on the long and fall back on the Bond music to showcase her personality, that kind of music is more suited to a "thinking" performance. It will fall flat otherwise, this program will have the music to carry it.

I also think the judges are going to re-think giving her those lower PCS scores with a clean(ish) LP, it doesn't hurt that she's doing Bond to help show off her personality more than this SP also.

I thought she looked good. I really want her to go to the Olympics. Really badly, I don't even care what happens with the rest of the ladies ( so long as its Gracie and Ash joining). I think with one more month training in Japan, she could be competitive at the Olympics and break into the great category again. The judges are already in love with her from before, so she will get the scores as long as she gets her skating to the level it would need to be. The other skaters (sans Gracie and Ash) haven't broken through with the judges yet, so that's another reason I'd be inclined to go with Mirai. I love seeing her skate well and get that mental control back. If she finishes 3rd and makes a trip to 4CC, scores well, we will have about as competitive of a ladies team in Sochi and Worlds that we could've asked for. Is the skate order posted yet?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Actually she showed more enthusiasm than I've seen in years. She was totally zombified before.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    You can see the training she's had on the jumps, the last 1/4 rotation on all of them is where it should be. I actually thought her 3loop had a more questionable landing than the 3/3, which was beautiful. Mentally she's still in a really good spot, she knows that Ashley will most likely pull ahead of her and she's behind Polina Edmunds (a complete and total newcomer to the big placements). If I were Mirai as a competitor, I would be going for broke in the LP and squeezing out every single point that I can muster. She can focus on the long and fall back on the Bond music to showcase her personality, that kind of music is more suited to a "thinking" performance. It will fall flat otherwise, this program will have the music to carry it.

I also think the judges are going to re-think giving her those lower PCS scores with a clean(ish) LP, it doesn't hurt that she's doing Bond to help show off her personality more than this SP also.

I thought she looked good. I really want her to go to the Olympics. Really badly, I don't even care what happens with the rest of the ladies ( so long as its Gracie and Ash joining). I think with one more month training in Japan, she could be competitive at the Olympics. The judges are already in love with her from before, so she will get the scores as long as she gets her skating to the level it would need to be. The other skaters (sans Gracie and Ash) haven't broken through with the judges yet, so that's another reason I'd be inclined to go with Mirai. I love seeing her skate well and get that mental control back. If she finishes 3rd and makes a trip to 4CC, scores well, we will have about as competitive of a ladies team in Sochi and Worlds that we could've asked for. Is the skate order posted yet?
    Yes it is - Mirai will skate second to last (she follows Polina) and Gracie will close out the night -

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/results.html

16 10:00PM Christina Gao, SC Of Boston 6 60.91
    17 10:09PM Ashley Wagner, SC of Wilmington 4 64.71
    18 10:17PM Ashley Cain, Stars FSC of Texas 5 61.45
    19 10:26PM Polina Edmunds, Peninsula SC 2 66.75
    20 10:34PM Mirai Nagasu, Pasadena FSC 3 65.44
    21 10:43PM Gracie Gold, Wagon Wheel FSC 1 72.12

I'm getting really psyched for this!

vCash
    Thanks

Wow talk about dramatic. She will know if she's going or not right when she gets her scores, as a competitor that should light an even bigger fire under your bum innit. Go Mirai!!

vCash
    Bad draw for Ashley. Gracie skates last.

vCash
    Thanks

Wow talk about dramatic. She will know if she's going or not right when she gets her scores, as a competitor that should light an even bigger fire under your bum innit. Go Mirai!!
    Yes, i like her skating position because we will know if she makes it or not. Would love to see her face when they announce she's in first or second after her LP
    wishing, wishing.

Get ready guys, Mirai is peaking again

2010 U.S. Championships - 70.06
    2011 U.S. Championships - 63.35
    2012 U.S. Championships - 59.02
    2013 U.S. Championships - 64.39
    2014 U.S. Championships - 65.44

She's coming

vCash
    ^ She also tends to fall apart when we go ahead and start to think that.

One more program. She can freakin' do it.

vCash
    ^ She also tends to fall apart when we go ahead and start to think that.

One more program. She can freakin' do it.
    okay

let me think she's gonna have a meltdown

wow, Mirai's thread is so popular on here

vCash
    lol Yes and the tone in this thread will be so freaking miserable, I can't wait to be sad. Go for the 11th Mirai!

Gonna be glued to that warmup, OMG. I haven't been like this since Kwan ten years ago, I love caring again.

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast