Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 1006
  1. #381

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34697
    Would be great if Mirai skates lights out at Nationals, no regrets...but I still refuse to get my hopes up
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  2. #382
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    45
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    NBC made a Sochi 2014 promo clip with last year's The Voice winner, and they only had three ladies figure skaters: Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai!
    http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/t...sochi-olympics

  3. #383

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,049
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by change of edge View Post
    NBC made a Sochi 2014 promo clip with last year's The Voice winner, and they only had three ladies figure skaters: Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai!
    http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/t...sochi-olympics
    Thanks for sharing this. It's good for her!

  4. #384
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by change of edge View Post
    NBC made a Sochi 2014 promo clip with last year's The Voice winner, and they only had three ladies figure skaters: Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai!
    http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/t...sochi-olympics
    Thanks! That's new - it seems most promos, photo shoots, etc. have featured Ashley, Gracie, and Agnes of late with no mention at all of Mirai so this is nice for a change.

  5. #385

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    I think Agnes is really in the drivers seat right now. Two decent skates will put her on the team. I am afraid Mirai will have to skate lights out at the US nationals and hope for major mistakes from others to make the team. I am really rooting for Mirai but if someone else skates great and earns that 3rd spot, I am OK with it.

  6. #386
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not getting my hopes up for Mirai to get the 3rd spot. I think Nationals will be a success for her if she makes it on the Four Continents team, especially since her season has ended at nationals the last two years.

  7. #387
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,712
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think Agnes is really in the drivers seat right now. Two decent skates will put her on the team. I am afraid Mirai will have to skate lights out at the US nationals and hope for major mistakes from others to make the team. I am really rooting for Mirai but if someone else skates great and earns that 3rd spot, I am OK with it.
    Agnes hasn't even shown she's capable of decent skates this season. If she bombs i want to see her not be held up. She hasn't done anything internationally since turning Senior and the judges aren't impressed with her so why are the US judges so crazy about her?

  8. #388

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Agnes hasn't even shown she's capable of decent skates this season. If she bombs i want to see her not be held up. She hasn't done anything internationally since turning Senior and the judges aren't impressed with her so why are the US judges so crazy about her?
    I don't know why but they seem to like her. I don't want to see anybody held up, except may be Ashley, but she is the least likely to need being held up.

  9. #389
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    402
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't know why but they seem to like her. I don't want to see anybody held up, except may be Ashley, but she is the least likely to need being held up.
    Do you think they hold her up bc of Tom? I just don't know why year in and out they always hold her up. She can jump, but she cannot skate a long program. Whoever that 3rd candidate is though will likely not face much pressure at the Olympics to medal so oftentimes that means the skater skates well. Nationals is more pressure than Olympics probably.

    I wonder if they have Agnes in mind for the next Ashley, though I don't think they need her for the next quad. Polina and Gracie will probably be the stars for US in the next quad.

  10. #390
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    240
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Is Cesario can stay healthy I'm looking for her to do well in the future.

  11. #391
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    135
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think Agnes is really in the drivers seat right now. Two decent skates will put her on the team. I am afraid Mirai will have to skate lights out at the US nationals and hope for major mistakes from others to make the team. I am really rooting for Mirai but if someone else skates great and earns that 3rd spot, I am OK with it.
    Well Agnes was beaten by 12 points by Nagasu at COR. If she in the drivers seat there is absolutely no good reason for it other than blind USFSA love for her.

  12. #392
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    135
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    Do you think they hold her up bc of Tom? I just don't know why year in and out they always hold her up. She can jump, but she cannot skate a long program. Whoever that 3rd candidate is though will likely not face much pressure at the Olympics to medal so oftentimes that means the skater skates well. Nationals is more pressure than Olympics probably.

    I wonder if they have Agnes in mind for the next Ashley, though I don't think they need her for the next quad. Polina and Gracie will probably be the stars for US in the next quad.
    How could Agnes be the next Ashley. Ashley isnt the most talented skater, but her strength has become her determination and toughness, and very thoughtful and put together packaging. She is basically a more talented and flashy version of Flatt in her prime. Zawadzki is none of those things, she is a wild card with awful consistency. Even if they hopes for her it should not be as the next Ashley. The next Ashley needs to be someone tough or consistent.

    I agree they wont need Agnes next quad. With Polina, Gracie, Samantha, and Courtney all coming along nicely Agnes who has mediocre scoring potential internationally and is a huge headcase is totally uneccessary.

  13. #393
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by hertmirsh View Post
    How could Agnes be the next Ashley. Ashley isnt the most talented skater, but her strength has become her determination and toughness, and very thoughtful and put together packaging. She is basically a more talented and flashy version of Flatt in her prime.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  14. #394

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34697
    ^^ I think hertmirsh just means Ashley shares Flatt's mental toughness. I don't think that's a bad comparison. I wish Mirai could borrow some of that belly fire.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  15. #395
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    If that's her/his meaning then I can understand that. But the word flashy implies a negative connotation as if Ashley is only a better packaged version of Rachael.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  16. #396
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^Y'know, all the meh over Ashley only makes me pull for her harder to succeed in Sochi to prove that hard work and determination can make it happen.

  17. #397
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    555
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I hope Mirai can get more into the "James Bond" character with her Free skate

  18. #398
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,883
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^That was the only thing missing from her FS at COR. She was nearly perfect technically, but she didn't show one ounce of personality until after she landed that final 3L...she can't skate like that an expect to get good PCS. If she'd brought attitude, fire and energy from the beginning and throughout, there's no way she wouldn't have scored in the 120s with that performance.

    I remember Frank having to remind Mirai to smile when she skated under him. I think her natural tendency is to skate stone-faced...unfortunately that leaves her skating cold. I don't think Mirai needs to plaster a smile to her face...fake smiles are easy to spot and don't add anything to the performance. Mirai just needs to work on feeling her music/programs and find a way to project those feelings when she skates.

    Mirai needs to pay attention to Kanako Murakami. Kanako doesn't give a lot of face when she skates. She has moments where you see the emotional connection in her face but a lot of the time her face is passive; however, you can see the connection/emotion/passion in her movements and the way she delivers her programs. Like her "Adios Nonino" FS last year...her face doesn't come alive until the end but her delivery of the choreography and the feeling behind it was wonderful. Mirai has to find a way to do that.

  19. #399

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by hertmirsh View Post
    Well Agnes was beaten by 12 points by Nagasu at COR. If she in the drivers seat there is absolutely no good reason for it other than blind USFSA love for her.
    Who said the USFSA is reasonable?

  20. #400
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^That was the only thing missing from her FS at COR. She was nearly perfect technically, but she didn't show one ounce of personality until after she landed that final 3L...she can't skate like that an expect to get good PCS. If she'd brought attitude, fire and energy from the beginning and throughout, there's no way she wouldn't have scored in the 120s with that performance.

    I remember Frank having to remind Mirai to smile when she skated under him. I think her natural tendency is to skate stone-faced...unfortunately that leaves her skating cold. I don't think Mirai needs to plaster a smile to her face...fake smiles are easy to spot and don't add anything to the performance. Mirai just needs to work on feeling her music/programs and find a way to project those feelings when she skates.

    Mirai needs to pay attention to Kanako Murakami. Kanako doesn't give a lot of face when she skates. She has moments where you see the emotional connection in her face but a lot of the time her face is passive; however, you can see the connection/emotion/passion in her movements and the way she delivers her programs. Like her "Adios Nonino" FS last year...her face doesn't come alive until the end but her delivery of the choreography and the feeling behind it was wonderful. Mirai has to find a way to do that.
    I don't think Mirai was really going out there to put on a show. I feel like she wanted to prove that she could rotate and land the jumps. NHK had a lot more smiling but she was messing up all over the place and falling. I think you put together the performances we will have a winner.

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •