Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    But to me her combination spin looks exactly the same as the one she did in NHK where she got a level 4:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxebAaYqzHc

vCash
    I think Marco meant to say "she didn't have a camel position" and depending on the caller he has a point.

You can't get Levels 2-4 without all three basic positions.

Good to see Mirai skate pretty cleanly and smiling; I agree that if she "sold" it more her PCS would've gone up a bit.

The layback was spectacular.

And someone should tell the British Eurosport guys she skates for the U.S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    And Julia's score is ... She's age eligible for Sochi right?
    She is eligible but that score is bullshit. I like Julia and I think she has improved this season...but not to the point she deserves 32+ in PCS. That's ridiculous! She skated a perfect program at SC and scored 66+ with a 28+ in PCS; she basically replicated that performance and now she scores 72+ with a 32+ in PCS. Her PCS was only 0.79 off of Carolina's!

I know it's hometown scoring and everything but this is just pathetic. Liza T got the benefit of hometown scoring too. Both Agnes and Mirai were clean, yet Liza basically tied with them even though she wasn't clean.

With her scores improving at this exponential rate, if Julia skates cleanly in Sochi she'll beat out Yu-Na and Mao too...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    With her scores improving at this exponential rate, if Julia skates cleanly in Sochi she'll beat out Yu-Na and Mao too...
    Not if Yu na and Mao skate clean too. If either makes major mistakes (Mao more likely than Yu na), a clean Julia could sneak in for a silver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Not if Yu na and Mao skate clean too. If either makes major mistakes (Mao more likely than Yu na), a clean Julia could sneak in for a silver.
    But does Julia really deserve PCS in the same range as Yu-Na, Mao and Carolina? I mean the PCS she earned at COR today was only 0.57 points less than what Yu-Na scored at worlds in the SP last year (33.18 vs 32.61). Given her presentation, skating skills, interpretation, etc., is she on the same level as Yu-Na, Mao and Carolina? I sure as hell don't think so.

Julia's PCS are grossly inflated at this event.

vCash
    So proud of Mirai! She did so much better this time! I wish I had been able to stay awake for it - I layed down for just a 'short nap' and didn't wake up until 3 hours after the SP!

So strange for Mirai to lose levels on a spin. That's usually her strength. She and her coach better fix that Stat! She still has an uphill battle in the LP - that is LaTuk's strength and I don't see Liza giving up an inch!

I just hope for great skates in the LP from Mirai and all the ladies! Love them all! ♥

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I think Marco meant to say "she didn't have a camel position" and depending on the caller he has a point.

You can't get Levels 2-4 without all three basic positions.

Good to see Mirai skate pretty cleanly and smiling; I agree that if she "sold" it more her PCS would've gone up a bit.

The layback was spectacular.

And someone should tell the British Eurosport guys she skates for the U.S.
    I wish Mirai would get a new SP. I'm not loving this one but it's too late I guess to do anything about it.

That British Eurosport guy is such an ignoramus. Mirai is American not Japanese. Isn't he the same guy that said Chan was from China?
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 11-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Isn't her catchfoot a camel position otherwise how do people do the same position in a flying camel and get a difficult variation for it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Isn't her catchfoot a camel position otherwise how do people do the same position in a flying camel and get a difficult variation for it?
    I haven't watched her SP yet, but yeah that catchfoot position is supposed to be a camel position. Did she not hold the full 2 revolutions in either her camel catchfoot or the Sasha spin? Mirai's normally very good with making full spin revolutions (because she spins so fast), so I doubt it. Questionable judging as usual.

vCash
    Happy Mirai was able to rebound after her NHK showing. I like her short except for the footwork section. It just kind of drags musically and choreographically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I haven't watched her SP yet, but yeah that catchfoot position is supposed to be a camel position. Did she not hold the full 2 revolutions in either her camel catchfoot or the Sasha spin? Mirai's normally very good with making full spin revolutions (because she spins so fast), so I doubt it. Questionable judging as usual.
    If you haven't watched the program, how do you know it is questionable judging?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    For anyone who is interested in the levels of difficulty, here is a summary:

http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/def...difficulty.pdf
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Because... It's probably the same combo spin she's done for the past 2 competitions in both the SP and the LP... And those were all called as Level 4s. And Mirai normally always does way more than the minimum rotations required to get her features.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Details, details.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Can you explain how it is not a level 4 spin?

For Spin Combinations with change of foot all 3 basic positions are mandatory for Levels 2 – 4 in both Short Program and Free Skating. She did camel sit and upright.
    In any spin with change of foot the maximum number of features attained on one foot is two (2). She did a camel variation(1), sit variation(2), change foot different sit variation(1), then upright variation(2).

vCash
    Mirai's SP was pretty good today! The jumps looked a lot better than they have for a while now! Not a terrific score, but very respectable still, and if she can continue to skate solidly her PCS should go up.

Anyways, I think she looks in shape and it's just clear that her body frame/build has become a lot sturdier compared to 2010 when she had just gone through puberty. It's pretty common for girls to fill out into their adult figures in their late teens and early 20s, that's why figure skating can be such a hard sport for girls to survive in, some of them get hit with a double whammy, struggling when they go through puberty and then again a few years later when they mature into their adult bodies. Some people are more genetically blessed in terms of body shape/frame size than others, Mirai has always had broad shoulders so her current build does not surprise me. Anyways, I think she looks as fit as Ashley Wagner and is just a bigger person, as Ashley has quite petite proportions as strong as she is. I hope Mirai can keep it up in the FS, the final Sochi spot looks pretty wide open at this point...

vCash
    She had exactly 2 rotations in a forward catchfoot camel position, but then she pulled her foot at such an angle that it turned into a half beilman of sorts, which I suppose the caller felt was an upright position. If you compare it to NHK, her torso was definitely more upright here. At NHK her torso seemed more parallel to the ice with her head lifted. But this is a really slight difference, imo.

But still...she had (barely) 2 rotations in the camel position. I know you need 2 rotations to get credit for a DV. For the position requirement, it must be more than 2?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Can you explain how it is not a level 4 spin?

For Spin Combinations with change of foot all 3 basic positions are mandatory for Levels 2 – 4 in both Short Program and Free Skating. She did camel sit and upright.
    In any spin with change of foot the maximum number of features attained on one foot is two (2). She did a camel variation(1), sit variation(2), change foot different sit variation(1), then upright variation(2).
    I haven't watched this skate so I can't say. I do know it is not unusual to get different levels at different competitions. Just a 1/4 rotation short can make all the difference. I posted up thread the ISU requirements for levels if you are interested. It does say for combination spins she must achieve all three basic positions and the bullet is for all three basic positions on BOTH feet. I believe two rotations are needed to achieve the position and skaters get caught if they let their foot drop when they go for the catch foot camel. If they drop their foot, they need to have held the basic camel position for two full rotations.

vCash
    At 5:48, did her coach ask her, "Happy now?"...
    Then she shakes her head.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQVZTX-gt8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirai4life View Post
    At 5:48, did her coach ask her, "Happy now?"...
    Then she shakes her head.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQVZTX-gt8
    I saw that too! Amy asks "are you happy with that score?" and Mirai shakes her head "no."

vCash
    Mirai you make me crazy and thank you for proving me wrong Now work work work like your life depends on it!

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast