Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Anybody with eyes can see she has a subcutaneous fat layer thick enough to obscure the muscle definition in her arms, which is too much for the optimal strength/weight ratio for skaters, especially in the triple jump era.
    I think some of this is actually a body type issue. I just went through a ton of pictures of Asian skaters and they are either skin and bones (with very little muscle definition) or "smooth" arms, also without muscle definition (Yuna Kim at the Olympics for instance- she doesn't look unhealthily thin, but you also don't really see muscle definition on the arms just the bulge of the shoulder). Now- there might be some incredibly muscular Asian skater I'm missing; but I can't find one who has the muscle definition of say, the Canadian ladies, or someone like Ashley Wagner or Marissa Castelli.

Mirai isn't as slender, but her overall tone doesn't appear to be that much different from other Asian skaters.
    Compare these two pictures- the muscle tone showing is about the same.
    http://goldenskate.com/wp-content/up...11/05/tt64.jpg
    http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1126...topshot_11.jpg

Unless you work with her specifically, I don't think you can say she has to lose weight. She might be at the point where losing weight would mean losing strength because her body needs what it is at to support herself.

vCash

Anybody with eyes can see she has a subcutaneous fat layer thick enough to obscure the muscle definition in her arms, which is too much for the optimal strength/weight ratio for skaters, especially in the triple jump era.
    Are you serious? her arms are very slender and taut. This subcutaneous fat layer you speak of is hardly enough to affect her weight/strength ratio. Her arms aren't cut, but they hardly look flabby or weak. She looks about the same size as most other skaters. Strength and definition don't always go together, either.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Susan M;4049256]Anybody with eyes can see she has a subcutaneous fat layer thick enough to obscure the muscle definition in her arms,
    QUOTE]

that's just crazy..........

vCash
    I don't know that it's a weight issue but Mirai certainly doesn't look in top form to me. She's so sluggish out there now!

vCash
    Well going away from this issue about her weight, like I said, Mirai isn't out of the running yet. Christina just bombed her LP as badly as Mirai did at NHK and there's been no mention of issues with Christina lately (although we do know about the ankle injury during the summer, though I would think Christina is all right by now) unlike Mirai who was dealing with some boot issues at NHK. Out of the possible 3rd spot contenders, Cesario seems to be the only lady who is delivering consistently this season, but I don't think she'll get that 3rd spot on the Olympic team. Don't know. Stranger things have happened in figure skating.

vCash
    I feel like Sam's jumps are borderline. Would love to see her gain some muscle and jump HIGHER because she's got loads of potential.

The fact that no one else has stepped up to establish themselves as a clear front runner for the 3rd spot is KILLING ME because whatever missteps Mirai has made so far this season, it's not over yet. My goodness!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I feel like Sam's jumps are borderline. Would love to see her gain some muscle and jump HIGHER because she's got loads of potential.

The fact that no one else has stepped up to establish themselves as a clear front runner for the 3rd spot is KILLING ME because whatever missteps Mirai has made so far this season, it's not over yet. My goodness!
    Sam's jumps though have come a long way from what it used to be a long time ago. They aren't underrotated anymore and that's definitely a good step in the right direction. Her jumps look higher than they were too. I think what hurts her on the jumps is that they look more labored (more like the flip and the lutz) and she doesn't skate that fast compared to her competitors so the flow coming out of some of her jumps isn't the greatest.

vCash

Right now there is no frontrunner for the 2nd spot either. Gracie has been very average this season with the exception of the huge score she got in the SP at AC. So it's not a done deal that Gracie is going to Sochi either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Right now there is no frontrunner for the 2nd spot either. Gracie has been very average this season with the exception of the huge score she got in the SP at AC. So it's not a done deal that Gracie is going to Sochi either.
    IMO Gracie's spot is safe. She has the best jumps of all the US ladies and she has not totally bombed anything, the way Christina did at TEB (I was sorry for Christina because she sacrificed her time at Harvard for this season). I also believe that the USFSA will just give the 3rd spot to whoever skates the best (out of the remaining ladies) because it is the 3rd spot and not the second.

Banned Member
    vCash
    You people out there talking about Mirai and her conditioning and body are talking absolute RUBBISH.

Mirai is in wonderful, healthy, beautiful shape for skating. She is completely capable of doing all the level 4 spins, footwork and all of her jumps, including 3flip-3toe. I have seen her do them over and over and over again, but not when her music comes on in competition.

Mirai is in terrific shape, is capable of doing everything in her programs and then-some. The issue is....

what the heck happens to her when the music comes on in competition?

Mirai is a wonderful athlete in terrific, beautiful shape who appears to be a terrible competitor. Solve that problem and she could be the best US lady and one of the world's best performers.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 11-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.

vCash
    In 2010 Mirai had looked so promising. What happened to her after that? I think the ur's started getting dinged more, problems with Frank, problems with the distance she had to drive to train, and lack of success in the GPs. She has all the tools to be a world podium skater. All she needs is the right coach. JMO.

vCash
    Right now Wagner looks a lot stronger than Gold, but I agree Gold is still a complete lock for the team. Some debated before this season whether the first 2 spots were totally locked for Wagner and Gold. However given the performances of the other so called main contenders behind them, it is even more abundantly clearly now they are more than ever. Gold isn't necessarily doing great, but she isn't blowing up, and her scores show her scoring potential is far above all other U.S ladies anyway (besides Wagner).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    You people out there talking about Mirai and her conditioning and body are talking absolute RUBBISH.

Mirai is in wonderful, healthy, beautiful shape for skating. She is completely capable of doing all the level 4 spins, footwork and all of her jumps, including 3flip-3toe. I have seen her do them over and over and over again, but not when her music comes on in competition.

Mirai is in terrific shape, is capable of doing everything in her programs and then-some. The issue is....

what the heck happens to her when the music comes on in competition?

Mirai is a wonderful athlete in terrific, beautiful shape who appears to be a terrible competitor. Solve that problem and she could be the best US lady and one of the world's best performers.
    I think it's possible for us all to have a respectful discussion. We can disagree and still remain civil. No call to refer to other people's opinions as 'RUBBISH'. That's rude. We all have opinions. In my opinion Mirai doesn't seem to be in top form. I'm sorry if you disagree with that.

vCash
    Gold, not Wagner, is in all the NBC ads for Sochi.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    In 2010 Mirai had looked so promising. What happened to her after that? I think the ur's started getting dinged more, problems with Frank, problems with the distance she had to drive to train, and lack of success in the GPs. She has all the tools to be a world podium skater. All she needs is the right coach. JMO.
    I think the URs were always the problem. I've said this before, but I'll say it again... Jumps don't get easier with age, and I think that's what we see with Mirai. Even back in her 2010 Olympic form, she was still underrotating (of course not as chronically as now), but as she's gotten older and as her body type as changed and has filled out more, the jumps have just not been as fully rotated as they once were. It looked like she was really working on them this season and it showed at Nebelhorn. Her jumps looked higher than they have been before. But I think the times have caught up with her. The technical panel seems to be the most strict they've ever been with jumps and even jumps that look fine to us are getting dinged left and right lately. It's heartbreaking because Mirai could have easily been to Worlds and medaled many times, but it hasn't happened.

vCash
    Gold, not Wagner, is in all the NBC ads for Sochi.
    Um, no. I've certainly seen Wagner ads on NBC. But how does this fit into a Mirai Nagasu thread?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I think the URs were always the problem. I've said this before, but I'll say it again... Jumps don't get easier with age, and I think that's what we see with Mirai. Even back in her 2010 Olympic form, she was still underrotating (of course not as chronically as now), but as she's gotten older and as her body type as changed and has filled out more, the jumps have just not been as fully rotated as they once were. It looked like she was really working on them this season and it showed at Nebelhorn. Her jumps looked higher than they have been before. But I think the times have caught up with her. The technical panel seems to be the most strict they've ever been with jumps and even jumps that look fine to us are getting dinged left and right lately. It's heartbreaking because Mirai could have easily been to Worlds and medaled many times, but it hasn't happened.
    I think also for whatever reason she was not able or willing to move to work with the right coach. We have seen skaters like Ashley improve their jumps as they get older. If Mirai had spent those hours she used to spend commuting to Frank Carroll either on the ice or doing off-ice training, how much stronger she could have been. All that driving was such a waste of precious time.

vCash
    According to Mura's fan facebook, Mirai has trainded in Oyakaya, Japan.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3359461&type=1

my rough translation:

[from Mirai Nagasu]
    My wish came true here in Okayama that I wanted to train in Japan after finishing NHK Trophy. I appreciate your warm support from bottom of my heart. I had good training here. Thank you very much for the wonderful time. Now I'm leaving for Russia.

[from Mura to Mirai-chan]
    Your faithful training must have encouraged the skaters in Okayama to be like you. It was a quality time for me, too. Off ice your sweet smiles eased our hearts. Giving autographs and being taken photos together friendly made more people be your fans. Best wishes from here in Fukuoka to you at Cup of Russia! Good luch, Mirai-chan! Thank you very much for visiting Fukuoka.

the photo:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...18542585_n.jpg

Wish you the best at CoR, Mirai!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    According to Mura's fan facebook, Mirai has trainded in Oyakaya, Japan.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3359461&type=1

my rough translation:

[from Mirai Nagasu]
    My wish came true here in Okayama that I wanted to train in Japan after finishing NHK Trophy. I appreciate your warm support from bottom of my heart. I had good training here. Thank you very much for the wonderful time. Now I'm leaving for Russia.

[from Mura to Mirai-chan]
    Your faithful training must have encouraged the skaters in Okayama to be like you. It was a quality time for me, too. Off ice your sweet smiles eased our hearts. Giving autographs and being taken photos together friendly made more people be your fans. Best wishes from here in Fukuoka to you at Cup of Russia! Good luch, Mirai-chan! Thank you very much for visiting Fukuoka.

the photo:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...18542585_n.jpg

Wish you the best at CoR, Mirai!!
    Thank you for the link and translation! She really looks lovely in those photos too.

As a fan I'll always wish the best for Mirai. Here's crossing fingers for her at COR!

vCash
    I'm watching Mirai NHK on ice net right now... uh, what is this business of her having to spend all of this time on the ice waiting for them to fix the computers? She's been out there for what seems an eternity - waiting. That has to mess with one's head - to be out there in front of a full house with NOTHING to do... I think she's handling it well, but IMHO this is not an ideal situation for any skater.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast