Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Skinny can be flabby and vice versa. Next to many other elite ladies, her musculature is not as defined. Why does this bother people so much?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I promised to link this anytime someone mentioned flab. Bottom right photo. Very lean arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Skinny can be flabby and vice versa. Next to many other elite ladies, her musculature is not as defined. Why does this bother people so much?
    Don't know. It doesn't bother me, but it seems to bother other people so just making a point with the photo. If anything Mirai looks like a stick despite not having a visible musculature. Mirai should flex for the camera and we'll all be proven wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    If some of you guys think Mirai's flabby, I think you guys need to take a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Look at how skinny she is!
    Who said that Mirai looks flabby? That's nuts. She's matured into a beautiful young woman. Unfortunately she had yet another growth spurt post Vancouver and that seems to have affected her jumps some more - but I think she's getting used to her new frame and slowly getting it back. It may take til after Sochi but if she stays in I think she can definitely improve tons from here on.

And thanks for the link. Agnes and Mirai look gorgeous!

vCash
    I don't think Mirai is flabby. But I do agree her muscles don't seem as defined as they once were. Look at these pictures:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/451...bzRs62iw%3d%3d

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/159...5cl%2fHQ%3d%3d

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/156...lMxwpRdA%3d%3d

Here she is back in 2010 - not fully mature yet but she looked 'cut' compared to now:
    http://media.spokesman.com/photos/20...b4f89a6dc66ee3

Her new shape seems to have given her rather heavy looking thighs/legs. I am NOT saying she looks fat - but it seems to me she might be able to get more definition in the that area with certain exercises, maybe even light weights. Unfortunately her new shape has changed her lines in spirals, etc. I believe she can get even better definition with the right exercises.

In a way Mirai's body changes reminds me of Nadia Comaneci. Nadia showed up at the '78 Worlds (where she was 4h in the AA) still a slender woman but not in top shape, not in top condition. She didn't look 'cut':
    http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/160...oOcDopew%3d%3d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yTgC5TolbI

Half a year later Nadia showed up at the 1979 European Championships (which she won) in the shape of her life - you could see the muscle definition so well that a reporter at the time wrote that she now had the 'legs of a sprinter' while 'retaining the grace of a ballerina':
    http://gymnast.bplaced.com/AG/Comane...ci_19_EC79.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhJazrYviRw

Here she is at the 1979 World Cup: http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/314...e0w%2fBYjELWYF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCGLMuTPis

I'd bet someone like Denise Biellmann could whip Mirai into the shape of her life! And she'd look 'cut' again!
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 11-28-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Mirai is not flabby, no way. I was making a general statement. I agree with what you said although I am having trouble opening the cache links.

I think underneath a tiny bit of softness, Mirai has muscles. In her case, I believe definition has more to do with diet than with exercise because I am sure she gets plenty of exercise. She'd probably have to cut out a lot of high glycemic index foods and what fun is that?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    OMG - as if she didn't have enough to deal with, can we really stop having endless posts devoted to analyzing her body? Take it to a PM!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    OMG - as if she didn't have enough to deal with, can we really stop having endless posts devoted to analyzing her body? Take it to a PM!
    Agree...just reading these posts is making me neurotic...God forbid Mirai does.

Bodies change for a variety of reasons: puberty, changes in diet, changes in exercise.

Let's leave it to Mirai, her coaches, and her trainer/nutritionist.

I just want her to be healthy and happy.

vCash
    Can we get back to discussing her SKATING?

I feel her performances in Russia was a huge step in the right direction, but she is still lacking in speed, transitions, interpretation and overall confidence and command. I hope the medal here will give her the confidence she needs to ace it at Nationals. She has it in her.

vCash
    Frankly, I don't care what Mirai's body looks like. Is she rotating her jumps? Is she staying off her a$$? Is she still flexible enough? She's on the right track

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can we get back to discussing her SKATING?

I feel her performances in Russia was a huge step in the right direction, but she is still lacking in speed, transitions, interpretation and overall confidence and command. I hope the medal here will give her the confidence she needs to ace it at Nationals. She has it in her.
    She's gotten slower lately. Particularly in the second half of her free skate...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Do people think it's significant (as in impact on quality) that her reported on-ice training is 14 hours/week while other top ladies report about 20+?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Could be, but maybe that's all she can afford right now. Her mother recently had an expensive illness, IIRC.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What, USFS can't cough up some for her training?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    That's a good point; maybe she can't afford more than 14 hours of ice time per week.
    How much USFS envelope money did Mirai get for this season?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    That's a good point; maybe she can't afford more than 14 hours of ice time per week.
    How much USFS envelope money did Mirai get for this season?
    I think Mirai was in envelope C this season so she didn't get add much as in past seasons.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    14 hours is probably just her ice time (2 free skates a day, 6 days per week plus a couple of spin sessions.) She probably has another 6 hours of off ice training (one hour per day.) It may just be the way it is being reported. That said, at her age and level I would think she would be doing three sessions a day at least three days per week.

ETA: in my experience it is not the ice cost that is expensive, it is the coaching time. I am sure Mirai is able to train a session without a lesson so the incremental cost of adding a couple of hours a week wouldn't be too much. Now, she may also be very focused during her practice and use the time she has to the maximum. Sometimes more time just ends up being more time spend circling the rink.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Do people think it's significant (as in impact on quality) that her reported on-ice training is 14 hours/week while other top ladies report about 20+?
    I was thinking maybe that was a bit low but it could be due to finances.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Frankly, I don't care what Mirai's body looks like. Is she rotating her jumps? Is she staying off her a$$? Is she still flexible enough? She's on the right track
    I don't care what Mirai's body looks like either - but her skating seems to have suffered somewhat since she matured more. I don't see what the problem is. I think it's relevant. She may be struggling a little because she's not used to her new frame yet. Or it could be she's not getting enough numbers in as far as training hours.

vCash
    She was quite the gracious trooper, the way she handled the computer glitch driven delay to the start of her Free skate at NHK.

Was sad for her that she did not then have as strong a skate, but she earned my admiration for having such equanimity and poise about the whole difficult and uncertain situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I think Mirai was in envelope C this season so she didn't get add much as in past seasons.
    Nagasu is in the Team B envelope this season, like she was in 2012-13, due to having won a Grand Prix medal (2012 NHK bronze) last season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast