Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Also, does anybody else think Mirai is the Yukari Nakano of the US ladies but actually got a shot at the Olympics? The both have programs that I go back and watch despite the technical mistakes.

vCash
    Poor Nakano never even got a World medal nor got to the go the Olympics. Nagasu atleast got to go to an Olympics and have a great skate and showing, and will probably win a World medal given how young she still is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanoverrated View Post
    Also the other thread you were talking how Agnes could win the last 3 Nationals but now saying she isnt as good as an on Nagasu, so I am a little confused on your views on her. You seem to rate her highly then you dont.
    Agnes could have won the last 2 nationals. I honestly believe that and the SP results pretty much support that.

However, I do think that an "on" Mirai could match if not beat Agnes. Mirai has history on her side. We've seen Mirai's brilliance on display; the same can't be said for Agnes. If Mirai was able to regain some of her form and get that sparkle back on top of executing her elements cleanly, there's no way she'd be passed over. She's that kind of skater: she has the speed, the wow factor, the charisma and sparkle. The athleticism may not be what it was but it's very difficult to lose natural talent especially when that talent is the intangible kind. That sparkle/"it" factor is there but for some reason Mirai holds back when she skates...she never lets herself go. Unfortunately, all of the momentum/reputation points Mirai gained back in 2010 and 2011 have long since evaporated which is why she's now a 3rd or 4th tier skater and until she can dig deep and bring out "old Mirai" she'll remain where she is.

I rate Mirai's potential as very high. The reality of the situation is she's not as good as she was back then but I think with the right kind of coaching and programs she could regain a lot of that old magic she had. Whether she will is up in the air. Agnes is better positioned than Mirai is right now heading into Sochi. She's been on the podium the last 2 years in a row and the US judges would love her to get herself together b/c, like Mirai, the potential is there. The difference is Agnes' potential is a lot closer to becoming a reality than Mirai's potential is at this point.

vCash
    How do you know the old Mirai even exists anymore. Pinky and kwanoverrated could be right that she just isnt as good a skater anymore. So her greatest skating she might be capable of might not be as good as the skater you are referring to which was years ago.

It is like what would an "on" Miki Ando look like. Well it is hard to say but probably wouldnt be doing a quad salchow or triple lutz-triple loop like when she was a teenager. Even the Ando who won 4CCs and Worlds in 2011 with great performances wasnt as strong as the Ando who used to do quads and triple-triples coming out of her ear.

Nagasu's strengths are different than Ando when both were at their greatest, but the same might be true of her as Ando and others.

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by usova94gold View Post
    How do you know the old Mirai even exists anymore. Pinky and kwanoverrated could be right that she just isnt as good a skater anymore. So her greatest skating she might be capable of might not be as good as the skater you are referring to which was years ago.

It is like what would an "on" Miki Ando look like. Well it is hard to say but probably wouldnt be doing a quad salchow or triple lutz-triple loop like when she was a teenager. Even the Ando who won 4CCs and Worlds in 2011 with great performances wasnt as strong as the Ando who used to do quads and triple-triples coming out of her ear.

Nagasu's strengths are different than Ando when both were at their greatest, but the same might be true of her as Ando and others.
    I think I'm also going to agree with Pinky here... I think Mirai is pretty much done. She's getting older, and jumping doesn't become easier with age. Her jumps aren't going to get any better than they are now. The panel is killing her on underrotation calls, and I quite honestly don't think she's going to get to a point where she can consistently rotate all of her triples in a program anymore. I know Frank talked about specific exercises that can be used to fix underrotation issues, but even when Mirai was with him, she was still underrotating her jumps.

Granted even if she's never going to fulfill the potential that her fans once sought, she can still make it to another Olympics, as the 3rd member of that team and maybe even possibly medal at a Worlds. But I don't think we can expect much more than that to be honest.

vCash
    I'm not saying Mirai can be what she once was but I do think she can recapture a lot of what she had back then if she takes the right steps and has the right attitude. There are skaters who are far less talented than Mirai who make mistakes and yet still score well. If Mirai didn't turn into a zombie for two seasons even while she was having her jump issues she could have kept her second score up by skating with speed and actually performing instead of going through the motions with basically a grimace on her face.

I have no idea what Mirai's future holds. Maybe she'll quit after this year. Maybe she'll stay in another quad, find her stride in the next two years and emerge as a contender. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't tell you. But I do think she still has talent and could do a lot more than what she's done in recent years.

vCash
    Mirai got Finlandia again! Yay!

http://usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

Hopefully she can start off strong and keep building the entire year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Agnes could have won the last 2 nationals. I honestly believe that and the SP results pretty much support that.

However, I do think that an "on" Mirai could match if not beat Agnes. Mirai has history on her side. We've seen Mirai's brilliance on display; the same can't be said for Agnes. If Mirai was able to regain some of her form and get that sparkle back on top of executing her elements cleanly, there's no way she'd be passed over. She's that kind of skater: she has the speed, the wow factor, the charisma and sparkle. The athleticism may not be what it was but it's very difficult to lose natural talent especially when that talent is the intangible kind. That sparkle/"it" factor is there but for some reason Mirai holds back when she skates...she never lets herself go. Unfortunately, all of the momentum/reputation points Mirai gained back in 2010 and 2011 have long since evaporated which is why she's now a 3rd or 4th tier skater and until she can dig deep and bring out "old Mirai" she'll remain where she is.

I rate Mirai's potential as very high. The reality of the situation is she's not as good as she was back then but I think with the right kind of coaching and programs she could regain a lot of that old magic she had. Whether she will is up in the air. Agnes is better positioned than Mirai is right now heading into Sochi. She's been on the podium the last 2 years in a row and the US judges would love her to get herself together b/c, like Mirai, the potential is there. The difference is Agnes' potential is a lot closer to becoming a reality than Mirai's potential is at this point.
    I agree with all you said, and you said it well. However, I would add that as high as Mirai's potential to dazzle us her ability to disappoint is just as weighty. And Mirai doesn't disappoint al la Czisny or Cohen.....where there are fabulous except for...............that one............X Mirai disappoints and it looks like she wasn't interested that day. I think it would take a whole lot of dazzling for Mirai to be trusted with an Olympic spot.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I agree with all you said, and you said it well. However, I would add that as high as Mirai's potential to dazzle us her ability to disappoint is just as weighty. And Mirai doesn't disappoint al la Czisny or Cohen.....where there are fabulous except for...............that one............X Mirai disappoints and it looks like she wasn't interested that day. I think it would take a whole lot of dazzling for Mirai to be trusted with an Olympic spot.
    Agreed. If she wants that 3rd spot she is going to have to work her ass off this season and she has to start right away. Mirai doesn't have a ramp-up period this season; she's too far behind already. She needs to be very good at Finlandia and try to aim for 1st or 2nd place. From there she'll need to build on her scores and continue to perform well throughout the GP. It's going to be really tough but Mirai can't afford to have a bad competition this year...

vCash
    Agreed. If she wants that 3rd spot she is going to have to work her ass off this season and she has to start right away. Mirai doesn't have a ramp-up period this season; she's too far behind already. She needs to be very good at Finlandia and try to aim for 1st or 2nd place. From there she'll need to build on her scores and continue to perform well throughout the GP. It's going to be really tough but Mirai can't afford to have a bad competition this year...
    I would think that any of Nagasu, Zawadski, Gao, Hicks, Czisny, etc would need to work their a$$ off. None have been overly impressive, nationally or internationally, like Wagner has. None has stood out. Agnes has scored well at Nationals (held up?) but scored poorly on GP's. Gao has a number of 5th places at National, and done decently on the GP's, thanks in part to an easy draw at SA last year. Nagasu has performed way below her potential at the last two Nationals, but performed better than most of her competition such as Agnes, Gold, on the GP's. Hicks has shown she can jump, but hasn't shown me anything else. The third spot should be wide open.

vCash
    Gracie has had exactly two GP events in her career one good one bad. That's about par for what Mirai does on the GP. She usually bombs her first event then medals in the second one.

vCash
    Glad to see Mirai with a strong Senior B event to prepare her for the Grand Prix season. All the best to her at FINLANDIA! You go get it GIRL!

vCash
    I love this performance by Mirai. http://blazingblades.tumblr.com/post...ashion-monster

Mirai just draws me in when she skates--unlike most other skaters. She can make the simplest moves--like that T-stop (!)--beautiful. And her layback stacks up among the best. I hope she can get it together and make the Olympic team.

vCash
    Thanks for posting!!! That was lovely.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I'm not saying Mirai can be what she once was but I do think she can recapture a lot of what she had back then if she takes the right steps and has the right attitude. There are skaters who are far less talented than Mirai who make mistakes and yet still score well.
    Just curious which skaters are you referring to.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Thanks for posting the program. I only saw the highlights clip before!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SidelineSkater View Post
    Mirai got Finlandia again! Yay!

http://usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

Hopefully she can start off strong and keep building the entire year!
    That's awesome! I'm happy Mirai will get a chance to skate her programs in front of international judges befor her GPs!

Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I love this performance by Mirai. http://blazingblades.tumblr.com/post...ashion-monster

Mirai just draws me in when she skates--unlike most other skaters. She can make the simplest moves--like that T-stop (!)--beautiful. And her layback stacks up among the best. I hope she can get it together and make the Olympic team.
    I just love this exhibition program. I love Mirai's dress too! I so wish this could be her SP this year. "On Golden Pond" is a poignant piece especially considering the movie's plot.

Mirai clearly has to give it her all leading up to Nationals. Whatever happens, I hope she stays healthy, has awesome performances and goes out with her head held high. She's been my favorite U.S. skater since Cohen left the building and I'll be rooting for her all the way.

vCash
    Just curious which skaters are you referring to.
    Flatt at 2011 Nationals is a clear example.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Poor Nakano never even got a World medal nor got to the go the Olympics. Nagasu atleast got to go to an Olympics and have a great skate and showing, and will probably win a World medal given how young she still is.
    I don't think she can even make the world team anymore! Much less medal.

Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I know Frank talked about specific exercises that can be used to fix underrotation issues, but even when Mirai was with him, she was still underrotating her jumps.
    Would love to know what these exercises are!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I don't think she can even make the world team anymore! Much less medal.

Would love to know what these exercises are!
    There's still a chance until Nagasu retires. Never say never.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast