Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Hmm, maybe you're right and Zakrasjek made a big mistake. And continuing in the vein, Farris probably should have been removed from his home and placed in foster care. Because if the coach was at fault, we have to blame the parents much more, right? And with those kind of parents, if Josh has siblings, they should have been taken from the parents also.

The preceding message has been brought to you by the United Association of Drama Queens.
    As a mother & a grandmother reading through the comments aimed towards Zakrajsek, I've been wondering where his parents were while all these injuries & illnesses were occuring. Do parents of skaters sign non-interference medical release forms concerning their children? It wouldn't have prevented me from my pulling my child out of competition, coach or no coach...unless of course the child was no where near as injured or ill as speculation would have it. How many of you would allow your child to compete under these same circumstances?

vCash
    Mirai Nagasu had a stress fracture in her foot a few seasons ago and she was, upon diagnosis, off the ice for weeks. I have no idea how much input Frank Carroll had in the decision to pull her out of on-ice training for a bit, but it seems a responsible coach would have, upon learning that his skater had a serious injury, insisted or at least advised them to pack it in for a while so they wouldn't risk injuring themselves further. It seems Tom Z failed to do that at least twice, and that strikes me as a big problem, especially as the injured skaters were TEENAGERS. I think dismissing concerns about his actions as hysterical is disingenous, especially given the fact that even in this interview, he's never been seriously brought to task about what was going through his mind when he saw a) a kid with a fractured leg and b) a kid fresh out of the hospital and put them on the ice anyway.

vCash
    How could max Aaron backload even more?!? He was already at 2/6! The norm for everyone is 3/5 and is he actually talking about 1/7? Or just not moving jumps but moving types of jumps? Like quad after halfway with all he 3a's he does already? IJS is basically almost encouraging starting jumping at halfway! But it would be something if it lead to a 0/8 but I still think starting off with a jump just is something skaters want to do! So maybe he was talking about backloading all quads or 3a!

vCash

josh's injury

Josh did not break his leg. He had a hairline fracture in his foot. The real problem most likely was when he was practicing his quad earlier that week and hurt his groin area. I'm sure he was in pain, but let's not assume a leg was broken.

2011 US Nationals Joshua Farris FS

And the first triple axel is at the 0:55 mark and the second at 1:38? He does not seem to be in pain to me when he gets up. He skates for another three minutes. When he leaves the ice, he skates on each leg equally, not favouring one leg over the other. From what I can tell from this video, he does not complain about any pain. If that is the case, how would Tom even know there was a problem?

Also, does anyone else feel manipulated when it is said that he broke his leg instead of tibula? To me a broken leg means everything is wrecked, so one could not stand. But from this image at google, I see that the tibula is the secondary bone, so obviously one can stand, walk, and apparently run and jump as long as the tibia is okay?

https://www.google.ca/search?gs_rn=2...la%3B400%3B320

I'm not saying it was right that Farris skated three extra minutes with a broken fibula (holy tough kid!!!), but I don't know how Tom could have known that had happened and therefore could be held accountable for those extra three minutes on the ice.[/QUOTE]

vCash
    Merry Widow, it sounds like you have the inside track with inferences on what is really going on.

vCash
    FWIW: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...id=55274311630

In a practice just before his short, Josh landed a quad. He was encouraged to do another one and took a hard fall. That fall resulted in a deeply bruised hip and a torn adductor muscle. Strike one.

The medical team gave him pain meds to help him get through the short program.

Joshua Farris Josh is severely allergic to anything dairy. He went to dinner last night and accidentally ingested something that contained dairy. A few hours later, he was in the hospital hooked up to an IV and being observed for complications of anaphylaxis. He got back to the hotel at 4am and got a few hours of sleep before having to go to warmup ice.
    Strike two.

Joshua Farris Still with puffy eyes and swollen lips, he went to get another shot of pain meds before he skated and found out that he couldn't have any because of the anti-allergy meds he'd had at the hospital. There was a drug interaction problem. So, he decided to go ahead and give it his best and skate his long with no pain meds at all.

He took the ice to skate his long. Because of the tenderness of his leg, he couldn't pull in as tight and fell on his first two triple axels. The second one, he came down weird and consequently broke his fibula.
    Strike three.

Despite this, he's in good spirits and looking forward to resting and coming back stronger than ever next year.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scheffie View Post

Also, does anyone else feel manipulated when it is said that he broke his leg instead of tibula?
    No. And "manipulated" is a pretty loaded word. Are you implying that someone deliberately misrepresented the injury so that people might feel sorrier for Josh and/or angrier at his coach? If so, what proof do you have of that?

To me a broken leg means everything is wrecked, so one could not stand.
    Are you a doctor, or his doctor?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Finished watching this interview yesterday. I'm glad to see a forum like TSL where the interviews are a little more in depth.

The interview prompted me to go back and watch Rachael's East of Eden SP from Nationals. Brilliant. Well-deserved standing O.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123