Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    The question I would have liked Jenny and Dave to ask....Does Zakrajsek wear rose colored glasses? His athletes, aside from Abbott, have consistently been criticized as lacking the second mark. Why does TomZ not work harder to improve that aspect of his skaters performances. is he that controlling that he can not work on an equal platform with another coach/choreographer...to improve that aspect of his skaters development?
    I suppose the question could have been asked, but what answer would anyone expect? He certainly wouldn't throw himself under the bus by admitting he's a weak artistic coach.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Is this the long program of Joshua Farris' that everyone is talking about?

2011 US Nationals Joshua Farris FS

And the first triple axel is at the 0:55 mark and the second at 1:38? He does not seem to be in pain to me when he gets up. He skates for another three minutes. When he leaves the ice, he skates on each leg equally, not favouring one leg over the other. From what I can tell from this video, he does not complain about any pain. If that is the case, how would Tom even know there was a problem?

Also, does anyone else feel manipulated when it is said that he broke his leg instead of tibula? To me a broken leg means everything is wrecked, so one could not stand. But from this image at google, I see that the tibula is the secondary bone, so obviously one can stand, walk, and apparently run and jump as long as the tibia is okay?

https://www.google.ca/search?gs_rn=2...la%3B400%3B320

I'm not saying it was right that Farris skated three extra minutes with a broken fibula (holy tough kid!!!), but I don't know how Tom could have known that had happened and therefore could be held accountable for those extra three minutes on the ice.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Tom Z scares the hell out of me. There is something very fishy and sketchy going on with him. His behavior in the K&C with Josh Farris at 2011 Nationals was incredibly disturbing!

He also seemed to really like it when Dave lifted up his leg to show his shoe! Just sayin'!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I have to rewatch Part 2. I don't remember anything about Brandon's not having a good work ethic.

vCash
    I don't remember him saying anything about Mroz having a poor work ethic. He did keep telling Dave and Jenny that they needed to ask the skaters the questions they were asking Tom about them. LOL!

I found Brandon's quad loop on YouTube btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmvs-swJEM

Looks clean!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I have to rewatch Part 2. I don't remember anything about Brandon's not having a good work ethic.
    He said Brandon has to "recommit in every way." I think that could be interpreted different ways. Maybe he just hasn't been as focused on skating recently.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    From what I can tell from this video, he does not complain about any pain. If that is the case, how would Tom even know there was a problem?
    Josh's cries of "I can't walk" didn't clue you in?

At any rate, Zakrasjek's lack of sympathy for Josh's situation then is only the last in the line of issues that beset Josh that Nationals. He also skated with a torn hip muscle (a problem that was acquired during pre-SP practice) and his LP was skated after being at the hospital til 3am that morning in anaphylactic shock. He should not have skated at all.

vCash
    Is this the long program of Joshua Farris' that everyone is talking about?

2011 US Nationals Joshua Farris FS

And the first triple axel is at the 0:55 mark and the second at 1:38? He does not seem to be in pain to me when he gets up. He skates for another three minutes. When he leaves the ice, he skates on each leg equally, not favouring one leg over the other. From what I can tell from this video, he does not complain about any pain. If that is the case, how would Tom even know there was a problem?

Also, does anyone else feel manipulated when it is said that he broke his leg instead of tibula? To me a broken leg means everything is wrecked, so one could not stand. But from this image at google, I see that the tibula is the secondary bone, so obviously one can stand, walk, and apparently run and jump as long as the tibia is okay?

https://www.google.ca/search?gs_rn=2...la%3B400%3B320

I'm not saying it was right that Farris skated three extra minutes with a broken fibula (holy tough kid!!!), but I don't know how Tom could have known that had happened and therefore could be held accountable for those extra three minutes on the ice.
    Weeeeellll. . . depends on where and how the fibula (tibia is the main lower leg bone--your shin bone-- and the fibula is the other) is broken. I've had fibula breaks where I could walk and fibula breaks where I couldn't walk. Even though it's a non-weight-bearing bone it can mess you up, especially if there's ligament damage. He is DEFINITELY a tough cookie. I don't know how he skated!

I got to see only about two-thirds of part 1. Will be interesting to see the rest. He does seem very smoooooooth.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Quadless
    vCash
    Unctuous is more like it.

vCash

I have no particular feeling about Tom Z., one way or another, but what you've stated are the same things that don't make me automatically jump to the conclusion that Tom was at fault here.

Lots of posters here (and on other online forums) have annihilated Tom for "forcing" Josh to skate. But is there any proof that he forced Josh to do anything? Did Josh ever claim that he did?

And as you say, PeterG, if Josh broke his fibula in the middle of the performance--and skated for three minutes afterward--Tom couldn't have known that Josh had broken anything.

I was surprised, too, that Josh wasn't favoring either leg as he skated off the ice. So I'm inclined to think that Tom's comment about building character was under the assumption that Josh had a rough Nationals, not that he had broken anything. (And Tom does say, "Are you glad you did that?," as opposed to "Aren't you glad...")

Just playing devil's advocate here, as so many assume Tom is so Maybe he is, but until I have a little more proof, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Josh was sixteen (and only just). No way on earth did he make that decision to skate without his coach's input. And Zakrasjek has a track record. The torn hip muscle should have caused a major rethink and a possible withdrawal on its own. The anaphylactic reaction and its aftermath should have ended his Nationals. He should not have been on the ice in the first place to break his leg. I think a fair argument could be made that even if Zakrasjek did not pressure Josh into skating (which I doubt), he certainly did not do enough to protect his skater (ie, convincing Josh to withdraw). The guy was SIXTEEN. It's not like he didn't have time in his career ahead of him.

And I think the fact that Josh left Zakrasjek straight away is fairly telling in itself.

(And again: what part of "I can't walk" was not supposed to clue people in that something was wrong?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Josh was sixteen (and only just). No way on earth did he make that decision to skate without his coach's input. And Zakrasjek has a track record.
    (And again: what part of "I can't walk" was not supposed to clue people in that something was wrong?)
    Again, playing devil's advocate, "I can't walk" might be a bit hard to take seriously when the kid just skated through an entire program and skated off the ice with the two legs he claims he "can't walk" with... Seriously, if one truly can't walk, one can't skate.

I think it's just as possible that Josh really wanted to compete. It's extremely rare for anyone to break their leg in the middle of a competition, under any circumstances.

My only point is that, as far as I know, Josh has never claimed that Tom pressured or forced him into skating the long program. Somehow I think that would have come out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Again, playing devil's advocate, "I can't walk" might be a bit hard to take seriously when the kid just skated through an entire program and skated off the ice with the two legs he claims he "can't walk" with... Seriously, if one truly can't walk, one can't skate.

I think it's just as possible that Josh really wanted to compete. It's extremely rare for anyone to break their leg in the middle of a competition, under any circumstances.

My only point is that, as far as I know, Josh has never claimed that Tom pressured or forced him into skating the long program. Somehow I think that would have come out.
    That may be true but is it a coincidence that Josh dropped Tom as his coach following Nationals?

vCash
    Now, I am hoping that TSL will do an interview with Josh Farris. Hmm......

vCash
    Reading through this thread, one could easily get the impression that Tom Z is evil reincarnate!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I have a hard time believing Tom & Rachael never spoke about the injury/fine after Worlds. I thought she had one injury earlier in the year, recovered, and then had a different injury at Worlds? He sure liked to say "you'll have to ask him/her" about a lot of stuff. Fair enough, but really? He really didn't know? Somehow I doubt Rachael and her parents would say, after returning from a doctor's visit, "nope, we can't tell you what's going on, HIPAA all that, you understand." Not to mention she MUST have been having trouble up until then on the ice.
    Last edited by LilJen; 07-21-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I found Jenny and Dave's interview with Tiffany Chin gliding over the hard truths too.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Josh was sixteen (and only just). No way on earth did he make that decision to skate without his coach's input. And Zakrasjek has a track record. The torn hip muscle should have caused a major rethink and a possible withdrawal on its own. The anaphylactic reaction and its aftermath should have ended his Nationals. He should not have been on the ice in the first place to break his leg. I think a fair argument could be made that even if Zakrasjek did not pressure Josh into skating (which I doubt), he certainly did not do enough to protect his skater (ie, convincing Josh to withdraw). The guy was SIXTEEN. It's not like he didn't have time in his career ahead of him.
    Hmm, maybe you're right and Zakrasjek made a big mistake. And continuing in the vein, Farris probably should have been removed from his home and placed in foster care. Because if the coach was at fault, we have to blame the parents much more, right? And with those kind of parents, if Josh has siblings, they should have been taken from the parents also.

The preceding message has been brought to you by the United Association of Drama Queens.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    ^^^^^ I do wish I could rep you right now
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Adrenaline can often get you through a performance injury; but, can often leave you in terrible pain as it dissipates.
    I was not impressed with his attitude or comments in the K and C at the time.
    I was watching (and listening) via Ice Network.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast