53 12.86%
  • other

1 0.24%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Wow.. K&O and D&W over G&P? Why...?
    I still have major issues with her free leg coming down in that Nagano '98 compulsory and them still coming out on top after the scoring. SHADY! Also, I disagree with their Olympic win in '94 too. They were a fine team though; just a bit overrated, IMO. IMO, they should be an Olympic silver ('98) and bronze ('94) medalist team.

vCash
    Whilst '94 could have gone either way, I do not accept that G&P's Memorial free dance could have lost them the Gold in '98, even though their nerves showed in the compulsories.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Whilst '94 could have gone either way, I do not accept that G&P's Memorial free dance could have lost them the Gold in '98, even though their nerves showed in the compulsories.
    The '98 Nagano dance results will always be under major questioning and scrutiny though given it was judged under perhaps the most corrupt judging panel in Olympic history. I agree with the medalists that were on the podium, but would have switched G/P and K/O (love my girl Anjelika). The placement of P/S and D/V was also whack!

Maybe the greatest shame in ice dance pairings is that Platov and Krylova were never partnered. I think they could have been absolutely magical together! <3

vCash
    I didn't think G&P's win in 1998 was controversial. I could see them losing to K&O if Platov fell again, so I was holding my breath when they skated, but surprisingly he held it together. You could see the pressure on G&P - they aged 10 years since Lillehammer. I think I was almost as relieved as they were when they completed their free skate fall-free.

vCash
    There is no case for K&O winning in 1998. There is a case for them to win the first compulsory and original dance, but there Carmen FD was awful and should have been lower than 2nd in that phase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Maybe the greatest shame in ice dance pairings is that Platov and Krylova were never partnered. I think they could have been absolutely magical together! <3
    Platov already had the best female ice dancers Russia had to offer at the time throw themselves at him - Grishuk, Navka, Usova... Krylova would have been too much He was a gorgeous partner, but I still think Grishuk made them into champions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    There is no case for K&O winning in 1998. There is a case for them to win the first compulsory and original dance, but there Carmen FD was awful and should have been lower than 2nd in that phase.
    Exactly. She looked absolutely psychotic in that free dance and their choreography had that typically second-rate openness that's common among Linichuk's couples.

As for their golden waltz, I thought Anjelika's odd back posture was super-pronounced in that dance and she struck an extremely ugly and unattractive position during that part where the woman is dipped and lies parallel to the ice. Even though Grishuk had that toe-pick error, they had a much more attractive looking waltz that didn't look like it was worked at so much like you saw with K&O. For the OD, I'm ok with G&P being first. Choreographically, their jive OD was a lot more challenging than K&O's (although not as much as A&P's - A&P had too many errors to challenge for first place there). And K&O's OD expression made me want to vomit. It's hard to make a jive tasteless but they somehow managed to do so.

vCash
    I haven't watched enough of T&D to say, but of all the others, V&M are the best to me, by far. I think they were so robbed at these Olympics, the quality of D&W's skating is not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    You do know that all their "innovation" was due to Christopher Dean's choreography, right?
    I like to brag that I "discovered" the Duchesnays at the 87 Worlds in Cincinnati. They were the only dance team that made a lasting impression on me, and Dean was not doing their choreography yet. Dean played a big part in their success, but the charisma had to already be there.

vCash
    2 people think Bourne & Kraatz are the best dance team ever. Umm ok.

vCash
    I like to brag that I "discovered" the Duchesnays at the 87 Worlds in Cincinnati. They were the only dance team that made a lasting impression on me, and Dean was not doing their choreography yet.
    Dean's choregraphy for D/D was wonderful and they should be forever grateful for it. But after 1992, they did some exhibition pieces, not choreographed by Dean (which didn't surprise as Chris and Isabelle's marriage ended). I like this routine very much
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8qXFGWIc_Q

vCash
    That makes me laugh. They must've convinced by all the atrociously biased commentary on them by the CBC commentators.

vCash
    I think for some people "best" is synonymous to "favourite".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    That makes me laugh. They must've convinced by all the atrociously biased commentary on them by the CBC commentators.
    One of the posters might be Shae Lynn. I always got the impression she sure as heck thought she was the best dancer ever. At times she made Pasha Grischuk seem humble (and sane as far as her self perception goes).

vCash
    One of the posters might be Shae Lynn. I always got the impression she sure as heck thought she was the best dancer ever. At times she made Pasha Grischuk seem humble (and sane as far as her self perception goes).
    I met Bourne & Kraatz when they were the reigning World bronze medalists. Victor was a delight. Shae Lynn was as you describe her.

vCash
    Both V/M and D/W are great teams. But I think some of their fans, especially younger ones, don't remember older teams. So their choice can also bring some doubts. But it is usually so, that we are not excited with the events, that happened before we could see them. Of course we should be grateful for sites like YT, but watching sth live is not the same as watching from the retrospective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Dean's choregraphy for D/D was wonderful and they should be forever grateful for it. But after 1992, they did some exhibition pieces, not choreographed by Dean (which didn't surprise as Chris and Isabelle's marriage ended). I like this routine very much
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8qXFGWIc_Q
    Nice. I tried to find the freedance that made an impression on me in 87, but I don't think its out there. I'm pretty sure they skated to Malagueña, and the outfits were awesome. Paul looked like a matador, and Isabelle looked like a flamenco dancer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Both V/M and D/W are great teams. But I think some of their fans, especially younger ones, don't remember older teams. So their choice can also bring some doubts. But it is usually so, that we are not excited with the events, that happened before we could see them. Of course we should be grateful for sites like YT, but watching sth live is not the same as watching from the retrospective.
    Well neither is winning this poll and D&W are only 4th, so I dont think they are being overrated. The poll results dont indicate they are head and shoulders the 2 best teams ever, just that they are in the same league as teams like Torvill & Dean, Klimova & Ponomarenko, and Grischuk & Platov, and I think that is correct.

Grischuk & Platov might be underrated in this poll, but their style of dancing is not most peoples cup of tea, so I am not surprised at their low vote count. Given a multitude of reasonable options, most wont pick someone that doesnt excite them on a personal level as best ever. Plus many just dont like Pasha on a personal level so wouldnt pick them as best in any positive based poll unless they were a huge level above the rest in their view, which they probably are not.

Pakhomova & Gorshkov are probably the most underrated but considering most of the posters here (myself included) werent even born when they were dominating, how can one really judge or accurately assess if they have much claim as best ever or not.

vCash
    Why are Bourne & Kraatz even on the poll. Putting them on the poll implies they are a top 12 dance team of all time and they certainly are not. I would have put a team like Moiseeva & Minenkov on the poll before them. Even Torvill & Dean spoke very highly of M&M and their impact on dancing, and once predicted them to be unbeatable forever and ever when at their peak, even if an increasing overemphasis on non technical dancing and politics soon after those statements brought them down. Even teams like Linichuk & Karpanasov, Recogzy & Sallay, Duchensays, Navka & Kostomarov, Denkova & Stayviski, Delobel & Schoenfelder, despite all being very poor choices as the best ever I would have on a poll before Bourne & Kraatz. I would even put Drobiazko & Vanagas and Rahkammo & Kokko before Bourne & Kraatz as doing what they did and winning the medals they did from a small country with no federation power at all is much harder than what Bourne & Kraatz achieved skating for one of the most powerful, influential, largest, and corrupt federations there is (despite that Canadians potray themselves as little innocent lambs and victims in the skating world, what a joke).

I also consider Belbin & Agosto a better dance team than Bourne & Kraatz.

vCash
    Pakhomova & Gorshkov are probably the most underrated but considering most of the posters here (myself included) werent even born when they were dominating, how can one really judge or accurately assess if they have much claim as best ever or not.
    You see, that's what I meant. I also couldn't see P/G live and I can't properly assess their abilities. And of course I didn't vote for them. And I think this applies to some young fans of current teams. They don't remember teams from the 80s or 90s. Having said this I just want to point out that I don't want to take anything from greatness of V/M or D/W.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast