• Virtue & Moir

109 26.78%
  • Davis & White

53 13.02%
  • other

1 0.25%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If T&D were technically so superior to K&P why couldn't they dance a waltz in 1994?

vCash
    K/P and T/D brought different things to the table, and "best ice dance team in history" means different things to different people. I also never ever heard of Debbie Islam and google didn't do much to help me in that regard unless you're talking about Mitchell Islam's mom.

Anyway, by your logic, D/W should be ahead of V/M because V/M consistently lost to D/W for the past two seasons. However, I know you aggressively disagree with that. Therefore, going by results alone doesn't do much, does it? Especially in pro events.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I also never ever heard of Debbie Islam and google didn't do much to help me in that regard unless you're talking about Mitchell Islam's mom.
    I haven't heard about her either. But I think this is the person
    http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewSkating...f-9782e9250fd5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    K/P and T/D brought different things to the table, and "best ice dance team in history" means different things to different people. I also never ever heard of Debbie Islam and google didn't do much to help me in that regard unless you're talking about Mitchell Islam's mom.

Anyway, by your logic, D/W should be ahead of V/M because V/M consistently lost to D/W for the past two seasons. However, I know you aggressively disagree with that. Therefore, going by results alone doesn't do much, does it? Especially in pro events.
    Even if we concede D&W were a better team than V&M for two seasons, V&M were a better team (excluding 2010-2011 where they could barely skate due to injury, and rushed to make it back to worlds in subpar shape) every previous one. So no competitive results would not prove D&W being better than V&M, except for the last 2 seasons of their amateur careers.

Yes I am referring to Mitchell Islam's mom. That was her comparision between T&D and K&P, when K&P were still at their best and T&D were about 40 each.

vCash
    Interesting. Too bad I don't really care. K/P are still my favorites for reasons I stated earlier in this thread.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Interesting. Too bad I don't really care. K/P are still my favorites for reasons I stated earlier in this thread.
    So are you one of those who think your favorite skaters are always the best ever? Well ok.

I just dont see how you can be better than someone who is beating you all the time. Even meeting years past the other skaters prime they are still always beating you. To each their own though.

Klimova & Ponomarenko had trouble beating the Duchensays though, all because of T&D's choreography. This is a team who had virtually no technical ability to be even a top 5 dance team or anything besides T&D's choreography given to them. So just that one aspect of T&D alone was enough to rival and sometimes beat K&P. Their choreography given to what would otherwise be a couple ducks, made that team a big rival and huge threat to K&P. Imagine facing the whole of T&D themselves. Plus lets be real, T&D in their primes would have had no trouble beating the Duchensays. Or even worse, lost to Bestiamanova & Bukin at every event for 4 years straight.

vCash
    I don't know. Maybe, I'll ask Debbie Islam. Maybe she can change my mind since apparently her word is gospel.

vCash
    On another note V&M were the only ones unlucky enough to have to face another top 5 team all time in their primes, which explains why they were less dominant than teams like T&D and G&P. They faced another team that might be the best ever like D&W, making it unrealistic for either to totally dominate for 5 or 6 straight years. T&D did face B&B from 82-84 but they were not in their primes yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    Ice dancing is my least favorite discipline, and I know they weren't the best in CD or OD but I picked other, for the Duchesnays, the most innovative dancers ever, in my opinion. Yeah, maybe there was some jingoism accounting for my vote.
    Agreed.

vCash
    Are you sure you don't mean Debbi Wilkes? She did TV commentary in the '90s.

I don't think I'd classify either woman as an ice dance expert.

vCash
    I cant believe 26 people think Davis & White are the best dance team ever. Seriously. I dont care how many titles they win, their frantic, sloppy, and unmagical style of dancing can never be worthy to be deemed best ever. Virtue & Moir are a funny case as you could argue them being worse than Davis & White at this point, but you could also argue them possibly being the best ever. D&W I just cant see that, they just dont have the beauty, polish, or signature programs or style to ever be worthy of such a title. I would put their cap on an all time ranking at 4th. I dont even care which 3 teams you put above them, but 4th is an appropriate cap for tem given what they are lacking in their dancing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    If T&D were technically so superior to K&P why couldn't they dance a waltz in 1994?
    I guess you haven't watched their Compulsories back in 1984. IMO, clearly the best Compulsories ever.
    But 10 years later, I guess they haven't trained for compulsories during their pro career...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Why is this even a poll? Although there are some great teams on this list, Torvill and Dean set the standard for ice dance for many years, and got marks for their competitive programs that will probably never be equalled. A more accurate poll would be: who are the best ice dance team in history other than Torvill and Dean.
    ITA. T/D forever changed the face of ice dancing. No other team comes close to having their impact on the sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    Ice dancing is my least favorite discipline, and I know they weren't the best in CD or OD but I picked other, for the Duchesnays, the most innovative dancers ever, in my opinion. Yeah, maybe there was some jingoism accounting for my vote.
    You do know that all their "innovation" was due to Christopher Dean's choreography, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    You do know that all their "innovation" was due to Christopher Dean's choreography, right?
    ...and their skating. Their appearances, their expressiveness, their athleticism. Don't get me wrong, I repeatedly admitted that I'm well aware of their technical flaws, but I find it quite upsetting how people insist that all their achievements are due to Dean. Agreed, his choreographies were unmatched and marvellous. But the Duchesnays wouldn't have succeeded if they hadn't had the ability to transpose them to the ice. Their programs wouldn't have worked out if they hadn't been so strong, athletic and artistic, it all goes hand in hand.

I will always call the Duchesnays my favourites. But I'm well aware that they aren't the 'best dance team ever', because technically, they were inarguably behind their competitors.

vCash
    For skating skills best team is Klimova/Ponomarenko for me. There was a thread about great Original Set Patterns and I watched their waltz, charleston and samba there. Skating very close in difficult dance holds and with speed They are very good only Virtue/Moir came close to them in this area. For interpretation everyone has different favorites as it should be.

vCash
    T/D were true innovators of the sport. No question about it. However, I do think they were really helped by the fact that they were British and competed at the height of the cold war. If they were Russian, despite how innovative they were, I wonder if they would have captured the Western World's attention as much and gained such a lucrative professional career. In a lot of the retrospectives about T/D, the fact that they beat the dominant Russian machine is always played up.

vCash
    T/D were true innovators of the sport. No question about it. However, I do think they were really helped by the fact that they were British and competed at the height of the cold war. If they were Russian, despite how innovative they were, I wonder if they would have captured the Western World's attention as much and gained such a lucrative professional career. In a lot of the retrospectives about T/D, the fact that they beat the dominant Russian machine is always played up.
    Thank you. Whilst I absolutely agree with everyone about T&D's immeasurable contribution to the sport, it always made me laugh when Chris Dean claimed to be a victim of politics in ice dancing. Politics in ice dancing contributed immensely to T&D's legendary status and to the rise of the awful Duchesnays. I'm still pretty shocked K&P were allowed to win over them in 1992.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    There are so many great teams in the history of the sport that it's hard to narrow down to 1 single best ice dance team. I ultimately went with K/P, but would have had no problem voting for T/D at the #1 spot either. K/O, V/M, & D/W are also in my top 5 greatest teams.
    If I had to rank them, my order would probably be: 1) K/P, 2) T/D, 3) V/M, 4) K/O, 5) D/W.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    If I had to rank them, my order would probably be: 1) K/P, 2) T/D, 3) V/M, 4) K/O, 5) D/W.
    Wow.. K&O and D&W over G&P? Why...?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast