• Virtue & Moir

121 27.94%
  • Davis & White

56 12.93%
  • other

1 0.23%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I kind of missed all the hype when Dean and Isabelle got divorced (was too young back then) but I know many commentators and Dean himself referred to it as a bitter divorce. What was it about the split that made it such a bad one? Was Isabelle blaming him for something?
    I think one of the problems was that while being with Isabelle, Chris still wanted to skate and thought about his own career. I think Isabelle needed a more devoted husband. It didn't help that Isabelle and Jayne weren't fond of each other. Isabelle even said that there was a third person in their marriage. T&D wrote in their biography that when Chris choreographed for the D's, Isabelle didn't want Chris to show any moves with Jayne. On the other hand, Jayne didn't like the fact, that D's were given some of the T&D's moves.

vCash
    I suspect that there might have been a little to much direct competition too. Isabelle & Chris were both ice dancers. It might be easier for an ice dancer to be married to a free skater (Jill Trenary) or vice versa.

vCash
    I suspect that there might have been a little to much direct competition too. Isabelle & Chris were both ice dancers. It might be easier for an ice dancer to be married to a free skater (Jill Trenary) or vice versa.
    Maybe you are right. On the other hand when they were together, Isabelle and Paul competed as amateurs, while Jayne and Chris had their professional career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    From what I know (and that's not much, just info from internet sites and some old magazines), Isabelle is raising her son Paul (named after her brother), and Paul works as a choreographer in the first place. But the information I got is not quite up to date, I fear.
    Didn't Paul have a real nasty rollerblading accident at some point? I think he had to get some pretty extensive facial surgery.

vCash
    Geez, did the V/M fans all of a sudden get wind of this poll? They shot up big time.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Maybe you are right. On the other hand when they were together, Isabelle and Paul competed as amateurs, while Jayne and Chris had their professional career.
    You are correct. I didn't mean competition in the formal sense of the word. I meant 'emotional' competition.

vCash
    Didn't Paul have a real nasty rollerblading accident at some point? I think he had to get some pretty extensive facial surgery.
    I think because of Paul's injury they had to finish their career. But I'm not sure if that's the one you are writing about.

vCash
    I think because of Paul's injury they had to finish their career. But I'm not sure if that's the one you are writing about.
    It probably is. It happened a long time ago.

vCash
    Geez, did the V/M fans all of a sudden get wind of this poll? They shot up big time.
    Yes, I think they had something like 60 votes a few days ago and now over 100

vCash
    You are correct. I didn't mean competition in the formal sense of the word. I meant 'emotional' competition.
    That's quite probable.

vCash
    V&M will overtake T&D for the best ice dance team in history Haha! Do people seriously believe V&M were the best ever? They were a good team, but how can you compare their impact on the sport to other teams on that list?!

vCash
    They are the best..technical, freshness, romance, chemistry, courage...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ruse View Post
    They are the best..technical, freshness, romance, chemistry, courage...
    I disagree. They are a good team, but they will leave no legacy like some of the others on the list. I don't think they were the best team ever technically or artistically and their free dance in Sochi was very underwhelming. Although I accept they had to skate under different rules to the all time greats.

vCash
    I think V&M being dominated by D&W the last 2 years of their career greatly undercuts their legacy. They werent just challenged and sometimes beaten by D&W like they were their whole careers, they were completely owned for a period of time. I do still rank V&M above D&W in history, as I think their programs are more memorable and they had more impact.

vCash
    I think most voters must be under 50. I like watching V/M; if I were simply rating skaters today, I think they are a better team than D/W.

But better than Torvill and Dean? Without Torvill and Dean, there *is* NO V/M, D/W or the parade of Russians. There just isn't.

I wonder what folks were say 30 years from now about all the ice dancing teams...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think V&M being dominated by D&W the last 2 years of their career greatly undercuts their legacy. They werent just challenged and sometimes beaten by D&W like they were their whole careers, they were completely owned for a period of time. I do still rank V&M above D&W in history, as I think their programs are more memorable and they had more impact.
    How? T/D lost to G/P and ended up winning bronze is their legacy undercut as well?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    Without Torvill and Dean, there *is* NO V/M, D/W or the parade of Russians. There just
    I don't disagree with you, but the same could be said about the Protoppopovs in pairs and yet most people rank Gordeeva & Grinkov, Mishkutenok & Dmitriev and Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze higher than them. Just because a team is first at creating something doesn't mean subsequent teams can't come along and do it better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    How? T/D lost to G/P and ended up winning bronze is their legacy undercut as well?
    1. T&D lost to G&P only once. They even beat G&P to win Europeans that year. So G&P never dominated them. They went 1-1 in their only ever 2 meetings.

2. T&D were in their mid 30s and past their prime by then, so no losses by them can be judged at that stage. It is remarkable they were even still competitive with teams like G&P and U&Z. Granted G&P werent really in their primes yet either, and U&Z (marital and coaching problems) probably werent as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    I don't think T&D and V&M are comparable. I'm not a huge T&D fan, but they have legendary status in the sport which is almost unmatchable. V&M don't even come close to such status.

vCash
    Right, but it wasn't his horrible facial injury that stopped their career (he had indeed broken almost all his facial bones when he fell on inline skates), but his back injury that aggravated during their pro skating years. He would have faced permanent paralysis had he skated on. At one point he even had a shattered disc removed.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast