View Poll Results: Best ice dance team ever

Voters
407. You may not vote on this poll
  • Torvill & Dean

    115 28.26%
  • Klimova & Ponomarenko

    74 18.18%
  • Gritschuk & Platov

    28 6.88%
  • Usova & Zhulin

    4 0.98%
  • Krylova & Ovsiannikov

    5 1.23%
  • Bestiamanova & Bukin

    4 0.98%
  • Pahkomova & Gorshkov

    3 0.74%
  • Bourne & Kraatz

    2 0.49%
  • Anissina & Peizerat

    9 2.21%
  • Virtue & Moir

    109 26.78%
  • Davis & White

    53 13.02%
  • other

    1 0.25%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 258
  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Possibly. It's hard to say, though. Besides, what about the 5 different British dance teams who won world championships in the 1950s and '60s? Why is nobody mentioning them? Surely one of those teams should be getting votes here as well. The thing is, who among us really knows a thing about them? There was a prominent Czech team back then too.
    To be honest I couldnt even begin to know their names, which I guess tells you something about what happens to many teams over time. Ice dance for me didnt even start until the Olympics, P&G and Minny & Mo. It is hard to know much about teams who competed before my grandparents were born in a discipline that only entered the Olympics in 1976. In ice dance especialy which for so long wasnt even an Olympic sport for so long and which keeps reinventing its idea of what it is.

    Given that Sonja Henie gets only about 3 votes out of hundreds of voters on best lady skater ever polls, I can pretty much ensure you the teams you refer to probably wouldnt get a single vote (kind of crazy when even Bourne & Kraatz get some but it is what it is).

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Thanks. You found it! That's the freedance I meant. You can see the charisma already, and that was before Christopher Dean got a hold of them. When I walked out of the Freedance event at the '87 World's they were the only team that stuck in my mind. The Duchesnays have always been uniquely suited to any Latin type of number, because they've got just the right look. They took advantage of that many times over the years. The Duchesnays reused at least one freedance that T&D had choreographed for themselves. The Duchesnays did the same number better.
    You're welcome, and how I envy you, you watched this live!
    ITA this sort of music suited them best. Have you noticed that lift at 0.56 when Isabelle is on Paul's back with her free leg in an attitude position? They later included it in their West Side Story program, it's my favourite move in that routine.
    Dean had rearranged two programs he had skated himself with Torvill, although he had also altered them in order to make them meet the requirements of competition for the Duchesnays. These programs were Eleanor's Dream in '89 and Missing in '90. T/D had a program called Missing, which starts like the D's Missing, but in a later part includes a piece with vocals which wasn't allowed at competitions at that time.
    I agree, the Duchesnays were more suited for the latin themes. Their looks and their natural expressiveness was just what that sort of music and theme was asking for. You found the right word: charisma - it's something a person has or hasn't (with a faint chance to develop a little bit over lifetime). The Duchesnays have.

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    These programs were Eleanor's Dream in '89 and Missing in '90. T/D had a program called Missing, which starts like the D's Missing, but in a later part includes a piece with vocals which wasn't allowed at competitions at that time.
    I loved both Missing routines, both T&D's and D&D's. They weren't the same. There were other things to appreciate in each of them.
    I wish I could see Eleanor's Dream performed by T&D. Have you seen it? I think it was never recorded.

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    I loved both Missing routines, both T&D's and D&D's. They weren't the same. There were other things to appreciate in each of them.
    I wish I could see Eleanor's Dream performed by T&D. Have you seen it? I think it was never recorded.
    Sadly, I haven't seen it either and I don't know if it has been recorded (what's strange, normally you'd find everything by T/D on some vid or in a doku). I just read a couple of times that it was a piece they had skated themselves; I think it was Dean who talked about it somewhere and I remember reading it. I wish I could watch this version, too.

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Me too. I'm not as enamored by U/Z's Four Seasons. I thought they did that sort of dance way better in 1991 with the Theme of Paganini Andrew Lloyd Webber version. In fact, G/P's 1992 programs are actually my personal faves from them, even though I think Libertango is brilliant.
    Their 92 programs had a youthful innocence and joie de vivre to them that I found appealing. And the content was excellent too. I guess it's understandable from Zhulin's POV as to why he wanted to get rid of G&P to clear the path for gold in Lillehammer (if that was indeed the reason why he started the affair with her).

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sadly, I haven't seen it either and I don't know if it has been recorded (what's strange, normally you'd find everything by T/D on some vid or in a doku). I just read a couple of times that it was a piece they had skated themselves; I think it was Dean who talked about it somewhere and I remember reading it. I wish I could watch this version, too.
    From wikipedia
    "Little is known about this piece and it has never been released commercially and possibly never recorded. It was also created as one of their pieces for the 1987 Ice Capades Tour. In their autobiography Chris states that he actually passed on the dance for Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay to perform in 1988, stating that the dance was about the relationship between a boy and a girl with the boy breaking in upon the woman’s dreams
    Excerpt taken from: Torvill and Dean: Romancing the Ice – Ice Cycles 1988
    Both Dean and Torvill seem eager for responses to their new routines in the show and gratified with the verdict that everything is just great, with special accolades going to "Eleanor Rigby". It was their newest routine and it's a very interesting version of the song, undertaken with Paul McCartney, having little relation to the earlier Beatles recording. The version used was from the soundtrack of McCartney's film Give My Regards to Broad Street. Dean and Torvill hated the movie but really liked that version of the song.
    "It's sort of our version of a dream sequence," says Dean, referring to their routine.
    "And I'm Eleanor," Torvill says simply.
    Torvill is the fragile title character, clad in muted white with pastel tones across the costume. He is a kind of dream lover to her, dressed in mostly black; he is both exciting and dangerous. She fears him, but she wants him too, and eventually her desire overcomes her fear. That is ultimately her undoing, as he twirls her round and round his body and she can do nothing but be manoeuvred at this will. It ends with her in a crucifix form across his back as he carries her off into the fog. She was right to fear him after all..."

  7. #187
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I guess it's understandable from Zhulin's POV as to why he wanted to get rid of G&P to clear the path for gold in Lillehammer (if that was indeed the reason why he started the affair with her).
    Do you believe it???

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Do you believe it???
    It's very possible but I obviously don't know the real truth since I'm neither Zhulin nor Grishuk.

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    From wikipedia
    "Little is known about this piece and it has never been released commercially and possibly never recorded. It was also created as one of their pieces for the 1987 Ice Capades Tour. In their autobiography Chris states that he actually passed on the dance for Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay to perform in 1988, stating that the dance was about the relationship between a boy and a girl with the boy breaking in upon the woman’s dreams
    Excerpt taken from: Torvill and Dean: Romancing the Ice – Ice Cycles 1988
    Both Dean and Torvill seem eager for responses to their new routines in the show and gratified with the verdict that everything is just great, with special accolades going to "Eleanor Rigby". It was their newest routine and it's a very interesting version of the song, undertaken with Paul McCartney, having little relation to the earlier Beatles recording. The version used was from the soundtrack of McCartney's film Give My Regards to Broad Street. Dean and Torvill hated the movie but really liked that version of the song.
    "It's sort of our version of a dream sequence," says Dean, referring to their routine.
    "And I'm Eleanor," Torvill says simply.
    Torvill is the fragile title character, clad in muted white with pastel tones across the costume. He is a kind of dream lover to her, dressed in mostly black; he is both exciting and dangerous. She fears him, but she wants him too, and eventually her desire overcomes her fear. That is ultimately her undoing, as he twirls her round and round his body and she can do nothing but be manoeuvred at this will. It ends with her in a crucifix form across his back as he carries her off into the fog. She was right to fear him after all..."
    Thank you very much, coraczek, it's quite what I've read once, too. Paul Duchesnay explaines the storyline of the routine in the D's book "Notre Passion" the same way.

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Paul Duchesnay explaines the storyline of the routine in the D's book "Notre Passion" the same way.
    I haven't heard about this book. Was it translated into English?

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    I haven't heard about this book. Was it translated into English?
    No, unfortunately there's no translation into any language, it's in French. It was released in '92 and has been out of print for long. I tell you it was an adventure to get a used copy. A friend who's French got me one from a bookstore in France...
    This book is kind of a biography (the author being Martine Carret) but with a lot of photos.

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No, unfortunately there's no translation into any language, it's in French. It was released in '92 and has been out of print for long. I tell you it was an adventure to get a used copy. A friend who's French got me one from a bookstore in France...
    This book is kind of a biography (the author being Martine Carret) but with a lot of photos.
    I know just a couple of French words, so I would never be able to read it. But I could look at photos if I found a copy. But as you've written it's almost impossible.
    BTW do you know what's happening with Isabelle and Paul now? I lost track after Isabelle's divorce.

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    I guess it's understandable from Zhulin's POV as to why he wanted to get rid of G&P to clear the path for gold in Lillehammer (if that was indeed the reason why he started the affair with her).
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Do you believe it???
    I'm a huge Grishuk fan, but although anything is possible, I don't think it's very plausible. I think Zhulin just liked to sleep around and Grishuk fell for his "charms". If she really had a choice between Platov and Zhulin as she says, she really must have been mad to choose the latter

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I'm a huge Grishuk fan, but although anything is possible, I don't think it's very plausible. I think Zhulin just liked to sleep around and Grishuk fell for his "charms". If she really had a choice between Platov and Zhulin as she says, she really must have been mad to choose the latter
    Yeah, it's probably this as he demonstrated later on with Navka. I wonder if Dubova had any other students that we don't know about that Zhulin slept with.

  15. #195
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    BTW do you know what's happening with Isabelle and Paul now? I lost track after Isabelle's divorce.
    From what I know (and that's not much, just info from internet sites and some old magazines), Isabelle is raising her son Paul (named after her brother), and Paul works as a choreographer in the first place. But the information I got is not quite up to date, I fear.

  16. #196
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    From what I know (and that's not much, just info from internet sites and some old magazines), Isabelle is raising her son Paul (named after her brother), and Paul works as a choreographer in the first place. But the information I got is not quite up to date, I fear.
    Thank you. I even didn't know that she has a child.

  17. #197
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Thank you. I even didn't know that she has a child.
    He's already twelve.
    Isabelle obviously keeps him out of the limelight, which is a wise decision. But I live at the other side of the world and don't have the information you may get in Canada.

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Isabelle obviously keeps him out of the limelight, which is a wise decision.
    Isabelle keeps herself out of the limelight as well .

  19. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I kind of missed all the hype when Dean and Isabelle got divorced (was too young back then) but I know many commentators and Dean himself referred to it as a bitter divorce. What was it about the split that made it such a bad one? Was Isabelle blaming him for something?

  20. #200
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well like I said neither one is winning the poll and D&W are only 4th.
    Kim Goat, look at the results now. V/M are very close to being in a leading position. Do you really think that demographics of the voters have nothing to do with that. Look for instance at the post no. 148. I'm sure that there are also other people who didn't watch past teams.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •