107 26.68%
  • Davis & White

53 13.22%
  • other

1 0.25%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNmarKjyiY - Not their signature but I can watch that program again and again and again.
    That program is really intense. I never understood why it didn't get the acclaim it should I have (I prefer it to TFB, to be honest).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNmarKjyiY - Not their signature but I can watch that program again and again and again.
    'Memorial' is my most favorite G&P program. I have watched it many times. it should have been famous like 'Bolero' was for T&D (even Dick Button compared it with Bolero) but politics were too much against them. In 98 they did not get the credit they deserved for this FD, thanks to the North American media. I remember how upset Pasha (Oksana) was at the 98 Olympics when they were heavily criticized after winning the OGM.

The judges however recognized the difficulty and rewarded them for it.

Blergh
    vCash
    Memorial is good, but it just seemed reductive. I said this in another thread, but personally, it's a program that I feel like I should love, but only just like. I also think their problems with execution all season really prevented that program from singing the way it should have. But what do I know? I actually liked their 1994-1995 OD and FD before they got all Tarasovaed and transformed into the 90s version of Bestemianova/Bukin but with much better difficulty. That said, I do think it was the right move for them and their 1996-1997 programs elevated their status in ice dance canon.

I really do think it's my taste more than anything, and I've heard enough skating fans calling Memorial a masterpiece where it really may be a signature program. I do wish Pasha stayed in a bit longer because I absolutely loved her look as a pro and she connected with Zhulin in ways she never connected with Platov. And I'm done repeating a post I made in another ice dance thread where I probably said the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    That is true of #3 and down. The top 2 placements are locked. No matter what anyone does, those are reserved for V&M and D&W. I do like them but there is no mobility when it comes to the very top (1-2).
    I think a lot of external factors come into play here. For one thing, Virtue/Moir and Davis/White were COP babies and really were able to develop with a COP-focus the way the older teams did not as they developed under 6.0 and then had to adapt for COP. As to why other teams did not blast through the top two spots the way D/W and V/M did? I think maybe political backing + Igor/Marina's guidance played a crucial part in that.

Now that virtually every competitive team has developed more or less under COP and not 6.0, things have equalized a bit and we probably see more political judging coming into play the way it did under 6.0. However, with COP, it makes it hard for teams to keep a ranking if they really do lose levels or miss elements or fall, etc.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 08-29-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Dance is boring under COP. Virtue Moir and Davis & White are certain to be 1-2 even if both have 4 falls. Atleast points indicate that. No drama. Even Torvill & Dean at their peak couldnt fall 4 times and win.

vCash
    I could never vote for G&P since I will never forgive them for robbing U&Z of the gold medal they deserved in 1994 and being so arrogant on top of it. I am surprised they dont have more votes in the poll though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by usova94gold View Post
    I could never vote for G&P since I will never forgive them for robbing U&Z of the gold medal they deserved in 1994 and being so arrogant on top of it. I am surprised they dont have more votes in the poll though.
    Did G&P award themselves the gold or did the judges did it?

Regardless, U&Z's FD was not as great as their FD's in the past. You have to hold their coach accountable for what happened to them.

vCash
    I think it was Dubova's fault for making such bad programs for them that year I agree but also Russian federation who stopped supporting them and started backing G&P for no explainable reason. Maybe Alexander slept with an important female in the Russian fed and pissed them off.

vCash
    The person I blame most is judge #9 Jean Senft of Canada. Had she voted for Maya & Alexander they would have won. All other judges to vote for G&P were probably part of the Russian bloc since G&P's win was based on the Russian fed. dumping U&Z for G&P, but Senft is Canadian and is not part of any Eastern Europe or Russian bloc. So she had no excuse to vote for G&P and did anyway. Had she given G&P a 5.8 for artistic impression instead of a 5.9 Usova & Zhulin would have won. I was glad to see her banned from skating 4 or 5 years later after what she did to U&Z.

They would have 4 1st and 5 2nd, while G&P would have 4 1st, 2 2nds, and 3 3rds. Neither would have a majority but U&Z with 9 1sts or 2nds to G&P's 6 would have come out on top easily then. People dont talk about that as a 5-4 split since technically it was 5-3 split, but in reality U&Z lost Olympic Gold by .1 just like others who lost 5-4 splits did.

vCash
    It was such a jumble! U/Z would beat G/P In one area and then G/p would beat them in another! If G/P were so favored they wouldn't have lost anything to u/z! The issue may just have been just a crap free dance compared to the amazing one by G/p! Not even t/d could beat g/p amazing free dance when they won euros! T/d won euros so it was a free for all anything can go year of major instability that is unrivaled even in the cop VMDW era.

vCash
    Usova & Zhulin beat Torvill & Dean at Europeans and would have won the title even with G&P winning the FD, but lost it on a flukey ordinal flip. They also would have won the 91 Worlds but ended up 3rd due to whacky ordinals. They are the unluckiest dance team in history by far.

G&P skated their FD way better at Europeans than Olympics. Even as a U&Z fanatic I would have accepted their win with their Europeans skate, but not their sloppy Olympics one. Tracy Wilson said they were way overscored in Lillehammer and I agree. I would even probably give them only bronze behind Torvill & Dean as well, but no way beating Usova & Zhulin for the gold, even with U&Z's less great FD that year.

vCash
    3 judges put G&P way down in 3rd and only winning the bronze behind both U&Z and T&D. No judge had U&Z lower than 2nd. This is proof G&P were weaker there and won due to politics.

Just like Kerrigan vs Baiul judges ordinals prove the same thing. No judge had Kerrigan as low as 3rd or behind bronze medalist Chen. Two or three judges had Baiul winning only bronze behind Chen, which proves she was weaker than Kerrigan who had no judges put her so low, and it was a political decision of sort.

That is one of the clues to look for to figure out such things.

vCash
    Tracy Wilson has said g/p never deserved to win anything ever in their whole career! I don't care what she has to say when she pronounced Bourne and kratz far superior to g/p in every way in 1998! said they were horrible and awful and k/o should Have won b/k silver and a/p third.

vCash
    3 judges put G&P way down in 3rd and only winning the bronze behind both U&Z and T&D. No judge had U&Z lower than 2nd. This is proof G&P were weaker there and won due to politics.

Just like Kerrigan vs Baiul judges ordinals prove the same thing. No judge had Kerrigan as low as 3rd or behind bronze medalist Chen. Two or three judges had Baiul winning only bronze behind Chen, which proves she was weaker than Kerrigan who had no judges put her so low, and it was a political decision of sort.

That is one of the clues to look for to figure out such things.
    This reads like failed politics against g/p! Putting them in third! Ridiculous!

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    This reads like failed politics against g/p! Putting them in third! Ridiculous!
    Right. I mean, the German judge gave K&D 4th place ordinals in Nagano, so does that mean their win was political?

vCash
    Three judges had G&P third though so it wasnt just a corrupt judge. This shows their performance was weak enough it was considered virtually equal to the bronze medalists Torvill & Dean, and should not have even been possible to beat U&Z without some type of fix for them to win there.

Anyway it is obvious even if you dont agree many question the validity of G&P's wins, both the 94 Olympic Gold over the unluckiest team ever Usova & Zhulin and also great Torvill & Dean, and possibly some of their other wins and medals. Look at the tiny number of votes they have on this poll despite their great career, their records like 2 Olympic golds. That sums it up.

vCash
    Katia Gordeeva wrote in her book that she really liked G&P's FD. I suspect some judges liked the creativity and others did not, that's why the placings were not consistent. There would not have been a problem if U&Z simply had a FD that was comparable to their past 3 FD's.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I see why people question G&P's win in 94 and some of the arguments are valid. But it was a very close event, close enough that I'm sure U&Z and T&D winning would've been questioned too. I'm not surprised the ordinals were so mixed considering that each one of them managed to win a CD, OD, or FD, which was unprecedented. It might even have been the fairest judging ever in the Olympics in dance, because there's no discernible agenda.

vCash
    I wouldnt be surprised if the Russian fed. gave U&Z their bad FD since they wanted them to lose the Olympic gold. Their federation had clearly dumped them for the most Olympic season of their careers.

The Russian judges scores is what clearest indicates who was in favor and look how the Russian judge scored the teams in Lillehammer. He had U&Z below G&P in every dance, even the OD where their was far better than G&P. In the FD even giving G&P's messy and no unision FD a 6.0 for artistry, blech.

vCash
    U&Z made a name for themselves being creative, creating storylines,giving emphasis on that part of ice dancing.And then they had to deal with rules that asked for dancing that resembles ballroom and could be danced on the floor. And they did the program they did. What was the problem?That G&P were so much faster, their footwork was so much intrigued, and the fact that a couple like T&D got on the mix as well. And thus, the russian order was turned upside down.

If you ask me, G&P were already better back in 1993 that they almost lost the silver to Krylova/Fedorov.So what kind of non russian support towards U&Z are we talking about. Loss of support against a team that was practically told to move to number three?

And yes, if I was the russian judge in Copenhagen and not the Olympics,I'd see how more competitive towards T&D Grishuk/Platov were at that point.Were they better at Olympics?No,they weren't, but the medal was already won in Euros. It was just a matter of making it decently through the next competition.

Now,back to G&P.They commited two big mistakes in their career.1st they beat Torvil/Dean and 2nd reversed the russian couples' order.So yes, I can understand the negativity from both parts concerned.

vCash
    Three judges had G&P third though so it wasnt just a corrupt judge. This shows their performance was weak enough it was considered virtually equal to the bronze medalists Torvill & Dean, and should not have even been possible to beat U&Z without some type of fix for them to win there.

Anyway it is obvious even if you dont agree many question the validity of G&P's wins, both the 94 Olympic Gold over the unluckiest team ever Usova & Zhulin and also great Torvill & Dean, and possibly some of their other wins and medals. Look at the tiny number of votes they have on this poll despite their great career, their records like 2 Olympic golds. That sums it up.
    You should write a book about that.
    But really, did you watch the competition or are you just interested in rankings and politiks ?

I didn't vote for G&P because I voted for T&D and their amazing compulsories and creativity from 1981 to 1984. But I could have voted for G&P...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast