View Poll Results: Best ice dance team ever

Voters
425. You may not vote on this poll
  • Torvill & Dean

    116 27.29%
  • Klimova & Ponomarenko

    75 17.65%
  • Gritschuk & Platov

    28 6.59%
  • Usova & Zhulin

    4 0.94%
  • Krylova & Ovsiannikov

    6 1.41%
  • Bestiamanova & Bukin

    4 0.94%
  • Pahkomova & Gorshkov

    3 0.71%
  • Bourne & Kraatz

    2 0.47%
  • Anissina & Peizerat

    10 2.35%
  • Virtue & Moir

    120 28.24%
  • Davis & White

    56 13.18%
  • other

    1 0.24%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 271
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Why is this even a poll? Although there are some great teams on this list, Torvill and Dean set the standard for ice dance for many years, and got marks for their competitive programs that will probably never be equalled. A more accurate poll would be: who are the best ice dance team in history other than Torvill and Dean.
    Well alot of people dont vote for T&D so it must be worth a poll.


    I can see the point for Virtue & Moir made by one poster since they had Davis & White as a chief rival, and Davis & White are probably top 5 all time as well along with K&P, T&D, G&P, V&M, and maybe B&B. The others had no top rival that strong.

    Torvill & Dean only had a not in their primes Bestiamanova & Bukin and an even further from their primes Klimova & Ponomarenko, and an always undermarked Blumberg & Seibert. No threats.

    B&B had only K&P who the Russian hierarchy kept behind no matter what.

    K&P had a technically weak but very popular Duchensays, and a beautiful but also technically limited Usova & Zhulin.

    Gritschuk & Platov probably had the strongest competition with Krylova & Ovsiannikov and Anissina & Peizerat at once, and alot of other good secondary teams. Virtue & Moir the second hardest just due to Davis & White alone, even if there is nothing else at all. B&B or T&D had the easiest competition of all.


    The dance field today is super weak as far as depth but Virtue & Moir and Davis & White each have to face a fellow best ever candidate. Plus ice dance judging is far different than it used to be. It used to be you were the champion and you had to fall all over to lose. Not so today.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Paris, France
    Age
    25
    Posts
    198
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ice dancing is my least favorite discipline, and I know they weren't the best in CD or OD but I picked other, for the Duchesnays, the most innovative dancers ever, in my opinion. Yeah, maybe there was some jingoism accounting for my vote.

  3. #23
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    13,102
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    9930
    As much as I loved T&D, I think K&P's A Man and a Woman is my favorite FD ever.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    790
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    584
    For their speed and her feeling the music I'm voting for Grishuk/Platov. A close second IMHO was Pahkomova/Gorshkov. Such a pleasure to watch.
    Here's a sample.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALmp4pIawI

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39967
    I'm just so happy to see Klimova/Ponomarenko leading this poll (though barely). I always think they're not appreciated enough.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    692
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Why are Bourne & Kraatz on the poll.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    692
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It is close between the big 3 now but if Virtue & Moir win in Sochi everyone will have to concede they are the best ever, no arguments.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39967
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    It is close between the big 3 now but if Virtue & Moir win in Sochi everyone will have to concede they are the best ever, no arguments.
    As much as I love them, I won't concede that.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    692
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    As much as I love them, I won't concede that.
    Well fair enough, but I think winning 2 Olympic Golds in a time with another one of the all time best like Davis & White would far trump what anyone in history have done. Klimova couldnt even win 2 with much weaker competition (in the 88 and 92 tries) and 3 tries. Same for Jayne Torvill and Dean who lost to an out of their prime Gritschuk & Platov and a way out of form Usova & Zhulin in their 3rd try of Olympic Gold. V&M would have had only 2 tries and won both vs first rate rivals who beat them many times.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39967
    Well it's not as if Klimova/Ponomarenko or Torvill/Dean fell all over the place. There are other reasons aside from their own performances/skill set and their competition as to why they didn't win two OGMs. I'm also pretty sure Virtue/Moir were helped that COP ushered in a new era of ice dancing mobility that was unprecedented even if that's controlled now that most teams grew up under the IJS.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30881
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Well it's not as if Klimova/Ponomarenko or Torvill/Dean fell all over the place. There are other reasons aside from their own performances/skill set and their competition as to why they didn't win two OGMs. I'm also pretty sure Virtue/Moir were helped that COP ushered in a new era of ice dancing mobility that was unprecedented even if that's controlled now that most teams grew up under the IJS.
    And Olympic gold medals are not the only measure of accomplishment, and not the only measure of influence on the sport.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,248
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I'm just so happy to see Klimova/Ponomarenko leading this poll (though barely). I always think they're not appreciated enough.
    Not only by fans but by judges. I have a hard time of thinking of a team who the judges made to work harder for their titles or screwed out of as many titles as they were.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,052
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Well fair enough, but I think winning 2 Olympic Golds in a time with another one of the all time best like Davis & White would far trump what anyone in history have done. Klimova couldnt even win 2 with much weaker competition (in the 88 and 92 tries) and 3 tries. Same for Jayne Torvill and Dean who lost to an out of their prime Gritschuk & Platov and a way out of form Usova & Zhulin in their 3rd try of Olympic Gold. V&M would have had only 2 tries and won both vs first rate rivals who beat them many times.
    It would simply be an amazing feat if V/M win again in Sotchi (considering they are the first north Americans OGM, first to win in a home country, and youngest ice dancers OGM).

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30881
    Anyone who thinks that T&D should not be the automatic winners of this poll needs to go over to YouTube and watch T&D's compulsory dances in competition. Free dances, short dances, and OPs are not the only determinant of "best".
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39967
    I personally loved Anissina/Peizerat's compulsories in SLC. That Blues CD was divine.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30881
    Yes, A/P were really strong in the compulsories too.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    It is close between the big 3 now but if Virtue & Moir win in Sochi everyone will have to concede they are the best ever, no arguments.
    Of course they will not. G&P won two Olympics, and they are not even in the top 3 in the above poll If V&M lose the Olympics to D&W, would you automatically think V&M and D&W would suddenly be tied in the above poll? Of course not.

    The original poster is voting for U&Z and they never won an Olympics. People vote on criteria other than how teams scored in competition.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    Ice dancing is my least favorite discipline, and I know they weren't the best in CD or OD but I picked other, for the Duchesnays, the most innovative dancers ever, in my opinion. Yeah, maybe there was some jingoism accounting for my vote.
    Nice, I was about to do the same, for the pure admiration I have for them. Then, I voted for the team that beat them. No question, if this poll was about what ice dancing team we liked most, my vote would have gone to the Duchesnays, for the same reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Anyone who thinks that T&D should not be the automatic winners of this poll needs to go over to YouTube and watch T&D's compulsory dances in competition. Free dances, short dances, and OPs are not the only determinant of "best".
    Surely not, but neither are compulsories. The silent question of who you like and support most will always influence your vote. If we want to determine the automatic winner we must calculate their average scores and rank them, and set criteria as to what is considered more valuable:
    -winning against a weak competitor with a sky-high score or winning by a margin against gladiators.
    -winning two OGMs or winning Olympic medals of all colours, or, maybe, competing at five Olympics without medalling (as Drobiazko/Vanagas managed).
    -not winning any OGM, but many, many medals otherwise through endurance and being acknowledged and so overcoming any competition, weak and strong.
    It would be difficult to do that, not just because of the incompatibility of the 6.0 and PCS systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Of course they will not. G&P won two Olympics, and they are not even in the top 3 in the above poll If V&M lose the Olympics to D&W, would you automatically think V&M and D&W would suddenly be tied in the above poll? Of course not.

    The original poster is voting for U&Z and they never won an Olympics. People vote on criteria other than how teams scored in competition.
    Exactly, and that's why a poll will never express anything more than a bunch of opinions, which are based on more or less reasonable considerations. Counting medals and scores a team got might give a hint for thier credibility as contenders, but the question who's your favourite will always shine through.

    It's interesting to watch how differently people are classifying the poll's teams' competitors - who had strong competition, who hadn't?

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,710
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Well fair enough, but I think winning 2 Olympic Golds in a time with another one of the all time best like Davis & White would far trump what anyone in history have done. Klimova couldnt even win 2 with much weaker competition (in the 88 and 92 tries) and 3 tries. Same for Jayne Torvill and Dean who lost to an out of their prime Gritschuk & Platov and a way out of form Usova & Zhulin in their 3rd try of Olympic Gold. V&M would have had only 2 tries and won both vs first rate rivals who beat them many times.
    Klimova/Ponomarenko were skating during that time especially in the Soviet Union when you had to wait your turn while the more veteran Russian team was pushed as the number one team which meant back then being the #2 Russian team meant being the #2 team in the World. It had nothing to do with who was better. K/P probably should have been two time Olympic champions but the bullshit politics of ice dancing back then made them wait their turn.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,195
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    33486
    Quote Originally Posted by usova94gold View Post
    Who do you consider the best ice dance team in history. It seems a 3 way choice between Gritschuk & Platov, Torvill & Dean, and Klimova & Ponomarenko probably. I picked Torvill & Dean, since I dont think Gritschuk & Platov deserved their 94 gold which should have gone to Usova & Zhulin (and Torvill & Dean maybe should have won silver over Gritschuk & Platov as their program that night was technically harder and less sloppy, and both had illegal moments). I couldnt pick Klimova & Ponomarenko since I dont think they ever beat Torvill & Dean head to head even though they would have at the 92 and 94 Olympics had T&D competed, but those wouldnt count much when T&D were almost 40 by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by usova94gold View Post
    I voted for Usova & Zhulin not since I really believe it is them but I know they probably wont get many votes and they are my favorite team ever. Plus they were clearly robbed of the 91 Worlds, 94 Olympics, 94 Worlds, 96 Worlds, 94 Europeans, 95 Europeans, and with those titles they might atleast be in consideration even if not the outright choice.
    Did you forget to log in as a different pseud?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •