105 26.58%
  • Davis & White

53 13.42%
  • other

1 0.25%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Best ice dance team in history

Who do you consider the best ice dance team in history. It seems a 3 way choice between Gritschuk & Platov, Torvill & Dean, and Klimova & Ponomarenko probably. I picked Torvill & Dean, since I dont think Gritschuk & Platov deserved their 94 gold which should have gone to Usova & Zhulin (and Torvill & Dean maybe should have won silver over Gritschuk & Platov as their program that night was technically harder and less sloppy, and both had illegal moments). I couldnt pick Klimova & Ponomarenko since I dont think they ever beat Torvill & Dean head to head even though they would have at the 92 and 94 Olympics had T&D competed, but those wouldnt count much when T&D were almost 40 by then.

vCash
    I voted for Usova & Zhulin not since I really believe it is them but I know they probably wont get many votes and they are my favorite team ever. Plus they were clearly robbed of the 91 Worlds, 94 Olympics, 94 Worlds, 96 Worlds, 94 Europeans, 95 Europeans, and with those titles they might atleast be in consideration even if not the outright choice.

Banned Member
    vCash
    My vote is for Ludmilla Pakhomova. She was a wonderful performer out there on the ice despite the very restrictive nature of the ice dance rules of the time.

To find to a statue of Ludmilla in Russia, Peggy Fleming was once told a "river of humanity" would lead you to her. She touched an entire empire with her performances.

vCash
    From those listed, I picked Klimova/Ponomarenko, as they had earned Olympic medals in all colours (bronze'84, silver'88, gold'92, a unique achievement), had to cope with strong competitors during their amateur years and went on to be fantastic professionals. Their gold medal winning program from '92 might have even beaten Bolero (but I guess it's sacrilegeous to say such thing...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    From those listed, I picked Klimova/Ponomarenko, as they had earned Olympic medals in all colours (bronze'84, silver'88, gold'92, a unique achievement), had to cope with strong competitors during their amateur years and went on to be fantastic professionals. Their gold medal winning program from '92 might have even beaten Bolero (but I guess it's sacrilegeous to say such thing...)
    I think it would have, based on the level of difficulty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think it would have, based on the level of difficulty.
    It probably should have beaten Bolero based on the level of difficulty. However it probably wouldnt have based on the judges scoring. K&P only beat the Duchensays in the FD on a 5-4 split and had lower technical marks than the Duchensays, which was outrageously wrong.

vCash
    Wow cant believe Virtue & Moir have more votes than Klimova & Ponomarenko. Virtue & Moir are a great team but they never dominated the way teams like Torvill & Dean, Klimova & Ponomarenko, or Gritschuk & Platov did.

Blergh
    vCash
    Klimova/Ponomarenko for me. They could have done anything.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by usova94gold View Post
    Wow cant believe Virtue & Moir have more votes than Klimova & Ponomarenko. Virtue & Moir are a great team but they never dominated the way teams like Torvill & Dean, Klimova & Ponomarenko, or Gritschuk & Platov did.
    T/D, K/P, and G/P were all of a different political era. No team has won more than 2 world titles since G/P, for example. Also, placements and medal count aren't the sole criteria for determining which team is best based on skill and what they're putting down on ice in terms of skating/dancing.

vCash
    I think Torvill & Dean only faced Klimova & Ponomarenko way back in 1984 when K&P were a up and coming team and T&D were the best team in the world so you can't compare the two teams during that time. K&P were about 5 years from starting to hit their peak.

vCash
    bourne/kraatz but no navka/kostomarov, delobel/schoenfelder, denkova/staviski?

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think Torvill & Dean only faced Klimova & Ponomarenko way back in 1984 when K&P were a up and coming team and T&D were the best team in the world so you can't compare the two teams during that time. K&P were about 5 years from starting to hit their peak.
    T/D probably would have beaten K/P as, for some reason, K/P just weren't as politically popular by the time it was "their turn" to win. Compare the marks that they received in the 1989-1992 quad to Bestmianova/Bukin's from 1985-1988. Of course, K/P had to deal with the popularity of the Duschenays (with the championing and choreography of Christopher Dean), a totally changing ice dancing landscape that evolved to a more interpretive/modern dance style, and even the freshness of Usova/Zhulin at their peak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    And no Regoczy/Sallay. I'm fine with B/K over N/K, but not over the D/S'

K/P and T/D are my top two.

vCash
    I know that pro results don't really "count" but how did the two teams do against each other in the pro competitions? Both of the teams retired before I started watching pro competitions often. I only remember seeing T&D compete in one pro competition and K&P were not there, IIRC.

vCash
    Oh yeah, voted for T&D but K&P and G&P are a close second and third. V&M will be right up there too if they win another OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    B/K were definitely better than Delobel/Schoenfelder. N/K were at least as good as B/K but it seems like they were only around for such a short time. I agree about DenStas though, although I don't think they were much better than B&K.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Why is this even a poll? Although there are some great teams on this list, Torvill and Dean set the standard for ice dance for many years, and got marks for their competitive programs that will probably never be equalled. A more accurate poll would be: who are the best ice dance team in history other than Torvill and Dean.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    OK OK, I would have voted for Grishuk&Platov few month ago.
    But I discovered a lot of T&D videos. I already loved their amazing compulsories. But their OSP and FD are fabulous too.
    And the last program I've watched amazed me even more :
    Encounter Touching, effective...

So, my vote goes to T&D

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Why is this even a poll? Although there are some great teams on this list, Torvill and Dean set the standard for ice dance for many years, and got marks for their competitive programs that will probably never be equalled. A more accurate poll would be: who are the best ice dance team in history other than Torvill and Dean.
    Well, so far over 60% of the FSUers who voted disagreed that T&D were the best, so apparently it was a good idea for a poll....

The marks T&D received is one argument, but an argument can certainly be made for the team who beat T&D in the Olympics and went on to become the only two-time OGMs, or the only team in history to have a full set of Olympic medals...

I voted for B&B. I don't think they are the best in history, but I didn't think it was right for them to have zero votes. They are much better, more creative, and have a better career than many on this list. Besides, I always have a hard time deciding between G&P, K&P, T&D, and V&M.

vCash
    Those are just amateur meetings. In their pro meetings where T&D always beat K&P even though they were way older. Although pro events were mostly fixed and depending on favortism anyway.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast