7 8.14%
  • Duhamel & Radford

52 60.47%
  • Moore-Towers & Moscovitch

8 9.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who is most likely to win pairs bronze at 2014 Olympics

This thread was done for the dance so it might as well be for the pairs too. I guess some could argue someone could slip in for silver ahead of Savchenko & Szolkowy but personally I think that is almost as highly unlikely as S&S upsetting V&T for the gold. So we probably have 5 teams with a semi realistic chance of winning the bronze:

Duhamel & Radford
    Bazarova & Larionov
    Kavaguti & Smirnov
    Moore-Towers & Moscovitch
    Pang & Tong

Some might argue the up and coming Chinese team of Peng & Zhang too, I dont know. So who would you give the best chance at bronze at this point.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 05-27-2013 at 08:01 PM.

vCash
    I have a feeling with it being in Russia the judges will go with Bazarova & Larionov if they dont massively implode.

vCash
    Hopefully, Duhamel & Radford.

vCash
    I don't think MT/M are quite there yet and P/T and K/S are kind of on their way out. I haven't been impressed with B/L's skating lately and they don't seem to be improving a lot, while D/R are improving a lot, so I will go with D/R. I can't stand how B/L don't jump in unison. It bothers me even if they both land their jumps. This will hurt them in the scores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    Hopefully, Duhamel & Radford.
    I'm with you completely on this one. I wouldn't be upset if it was Moore-Towers/Moscovitch either.

vCash
    If Kavaguti/Smirnov could stop making so many mistakes, they'd be frontrunners for bronze. They have fewer issues than Bazarova/Larionov, but they just don't seem to deliver at the right moments. The Russians' issues leave the door open for the rising Canadians. Maybe Pang/Tong, depending on his injury woes. When they are healthy enough and can get through their jumps, they're still right up there. But he, especially, seems to have chronic and sizable injuries, unfortunately.

It's hard to consider anyone other than Duhamel/Radford as favorite for bronze right now.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 05-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.

vCash
    If KS land the quad salchow (which Moskvina says they will attempt) they have a good shot.

vCash
    Wow D&R are further ahead in the poll than I imagined. I thought they might well win the poll coming off their Worlds bronze but I didnt expect such an overwhelming vote in their favor. I think some are a little overinfluenced by Worlds where they had home court advantage, and are forgetting it is the Russians who will have home court advantage come Sochi.

vCash
    Duhamel-Redford

vCash
    From most to least likely

1. D/R - massive base value, solid GOEs, improving on the PCS. Unlikely to be clean, but that's where massive base value helps them more than anyone else
    2. B/L - Good PCS. Rangey GOES to +3 elements (lifts) to -ves (jumps). Hometown advantage helps those, but if they make costly mistakes (a la Worlds 2013, 2012) they simply can't absorb them easily. What's their coaching situation now?
    3. P/T - If they were clean (no URs/pops, good levels), they'd be bronze medalists. We know with his injuries that's not going to happen. Cannot compete on TES really.
    ---
    4. K/S - On their way down, alas. Can barely break 8s in PCS now, and are error prone. A shame, because I really would like them to be in the thick of it.
    5. MT/M - Need to be blindingly on form (Worlds 2013 or better) and everyone else needs.... not to be (Worlds 2013). And they still didn't get it.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    I'm hoping Meagan and Eric realize their dreams!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    If KS land the quad salchow (which Moskvina says they will attempt) they have a good shot.
    I wonder If they regret the 2010 bailout from doing the quad throw. Probably not because the record wasn't that good but she could do it sometimes. Not to mention the worst mistake was him leaving out a double axel!! Of course her fall got the attention but that wasn't as bad points wise as HIS error!!!

vCash
    My heart says Kavaguti and Smirnov are the most beautiful. My head says Duhamel and Radford have the momentum, so I voted for them, but I want K&S to prove me wrong.

vCash
    ^ I agree, I would really love K/S to end their career with an Olympic medal, abut they'll likely have some bizarre error that takes them out of contention, like it seems to most of the time now. Id also love it if they proved me wrong though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I wonder t from doing the quad throw. Probably not because the record wasn't that good but she could do it sometimes. Not to mention the worst mistake was him leaving out a double axel!! Of course her fall got the attention but that wasn't as bad points wise as HIS error!!!
    Yuko in particular was very angry about Moskvina not letting them do the quad at the Olympics not to mention she took it out right before they took the ice. He did miss the second axle but she did mess up the first throw and fell on the second. The mistakes by both of them were very costly.

They actually have a pretty good track record with the quad; and did it in most practices last season.

2007-2008; 7 quads-1 fall
    2008-2009; 7 quads-3 falls

14 quads with 4 falls is pretty good and they only did it twice the Olympic year. Maybe if they had tried it in more competitions they would have had more success.

They have proved they are still a good enough team to compete...injuries may get them in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    My heart says Kavaguti and Smirnov are the most beautiful. My head says Duhamel and Radford have the momentum, so I voted for them, but I want K&S to prove me wrong.
    K/S won the bronze before the Olympics and had great momentum going into the Vancouver but mistakes cost them, anything can happen especially in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    I would really love K/S to end their career with an Olympic medal, abut they'll likely have some bizarre error that takes them out of contention
    Like a missed lift which cost them dearly at the last two World Championships

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Wow D&R are further ahead in the poll than I imagined. I thought they might well win the poll coming off their Worlds bronze but I didnt expect such an overwhelming vote in their favor. I think some are a little overinfluenced by Worlds where they had home court advantage, and are forgetting it is the Russians who will have home court advantage come Sochi.
    If Meagan and Eric really had benefited from home cooking, they would have won the silver instead of S/S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    If Meagan and Eric really had benefited from home cooking, they would have won the silver instead of S/S.
    I am not just referring to scores. I am referring to all the variables that come with home ice, tending to skate with more energy and a higher performance level with the home crowd, the comforts of having less far to travel, the support, etc....

That said I totally disagree with you. Had Worlds been in Europe the Germans would have probably ended up close to 10 points ahead overall even with the same performances, and never would have been behind in the short program when they skated relatively clean. Even if there was a case for D&R to be ahead in the short or be that close overall, based on the reputation and stature of the two pairs currently it would have never happened anywhere else. Furthermore nobody would have even suggested D&R deserving to win the silver either. The whole thing being in Canada and the short program scoring had the Canadian fans get a little carried away and lose a bit of sense of reality altogether, which I think is true in this poll as well (although it wouldnt surprise me to see D&R win the bronze in Sochi, I dont think they are overwhelming favorites for it either). The Germans had a few more mistakes but the general perception in the skating World is they are still at a much higher level than the Canadians are.

vCash
    Any updates on how some of these teams are looking this summer?

vCash
    People certainly didn't like the way Smirnov looked this summer! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast